Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2022, 07:41 AM   #1

False jacks warning while en route

My 2017 Ventana LE has recently started giving a jacks warning beep while I’m driving. I’ve checked when stopped with engine running and determined this to be a false alarm.
When the beep sounds I activate the “all retract” button and hear the sound of jacks coming up, then I turn off the jack system again.
I have had a couple of instances OC the past 5 years where a front jack didn’t come all the way up, but this was rare. Again, I was parked at my storage location to unload with engine running when the alarm went off again and I got out and saw that all jacks were fully up.
This is getting more and more frequent
Is this a concern or just a nuisance? How do I correct this?
Thanks
Spacecadet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2022, 07:58 AM   #2

I had this happen on my first Rv, 1995 holiday rambler with HWH jack system. A couple of learnings:

- always let jacks store routine completely finish its routine until it shuts itself off. Don’t shut off ignition key after jacks “stored” light comes on but before the HWH panel shuts it self off.

- I ordered and replaced all the jack springs on my first two RVs. The springs do all the work of retracting your jacks. The hydraulic pressure pushes the jack out, the springs pull the jacks closed. Springs do get stretched & aren’t as strong. Imagine if you keep your jacks deployed then your springs stay stretched for most of their life. I ordered HWH replacement springs from a HWH dealer and had a local shop put them on. But I believe you can do it yourself if your strong.

After that one instance I’ve never had the alarm come on again
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:58 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You might be low on fluid, or you might have a jack weeping down just enough to trigger the alarm. Last season we had one jack that would weep down just enough to trigger the alarm. Since the rig was underway when this would happen, the system would go into it's automatic retraction mode. Took us awhile to figure out which jack it was because like you, when we would stop it would be back up. Some trips it would go off a lot, and other trips it wouldn't go off at all. Eventually it got worse which helped us find the problem jack and it was replaced under warranty. Depending on your system, the alarm might be triggered by a sensor on the jack or it might be triggered by a sensor on your tank. Easy enough to check the fluid level to see if that's the problem first. If it turns out not to be a jack or the fluid level, it's probably the sensor. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:05 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
A friend just felt with the same problem. First he was told it was a bad pressure switch. Nope. Ended up having to replace the controller. Unfortunately, Newmar places the control box in an area where it can encounter water and the enclosure is not watertight. He siliconed the cover after replacing the board.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:08 AM   #5

We need to know what jack system you have-- they trigger the alarm by completely different methods!
Old 05-16-2022, 01:33 PM   #6

I contacted Just Answer and got good advice that if my system is hydraulic it is probably a low fluid sensor issue.
My system is Equalizer Systems, which is hydraulic and after retrieving and reading their manual it states that it might be necessary to add fluid to the reservoir.
Prior to my next outing next month I will be checking the fluid level and adding Dextron ATF if needed
Thanks for all responses
Old 05-16-2022, 01:39 PM   #7

Related question:
The Equalizer Systems manual advises lubing the jack shafts regularly with a silicone based lubricant. However, my RV guru buddy tells me not to use silicone because it dries out the rubber seals. He uses WD-40. Any thoughts?
Old 05-16-2022, 01:45 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ask the manufacturer.

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:50 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet17 View Post
Related question:
The Equalizer Systems manual advises lubing the jack shafts regularly with a silicone based lubricant. However, my RV guru buddy tells me not to use silicone because it dries out the rubber seals. He uses WD-40. Any thoughts?

Your RV guru buddy has that backwards. Silicone lubricant is used to lubricate and preserve rubber. My manual also says to use silicone lubricant on my jack legs. Maybe he's using WD-40 silicone lubricant and doesn't realize it? Regular WD-40 won't hurt the rubber, but it isn't a lubricant.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
Your RV guru buddy has that backwards. Silicone lubricant is used to lubricate and preserve rubber. My manual also says to use silicone lubricant on my jack legs. Maybe he's using WD-40 silicone lubricant and doesn't realize it? Regular WD-40 won't hurt the rubber, but it isn't a lubricant.

Thanks. I have the WD-40 silicone and will start using that. Appreciate your quick answer
Old 05-16-2022, 02:33 PM   #11

Good to know, thanks.
Fitchburg, WI
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, route, warning