Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2017, 08:34 AM   #1

Fan/Gearbox Mounting

There are a few threads going about the fan, fan shroud, and the gearbox mounting support currently. The photos and description of a failure is ugly. I have seen and was told there is a modification for the support frame where the tubular support is replaced by a much heavier square support frame. I have searched the Freightliner documentation available to me and cannot find any mention of such a modification. Does anybody have information on this, how about chassisguy, any input on this. I plan on calling Gaffney tomorrow, my guess is they will be less than forthcoming on information. Any information would be useful.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2017, 09:25 AM   #2

In 2015 and 16 there were numerous FL chassis which the fan brackets broke and the fan went into radiator and CAC. That problem looks like isn't a problem if the owners got the update brackets.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:54 AM   #3

I did not see any recalls for the brackets. Do we call freightliner?
Phil_Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:23 AM   #4
Rd1

The problem exists in 2017 as well. I did not know if they actually had a fix??? I understand there is supposedly a new frame design/drawing. I am waiting for that. Will post picture, once the dealer has it..
Old 09-11-2017, 07:35 AM   #5

I have sent a request to Freightliner for information on the mod and asked if they were being proactive in replacing the old frames. We will see if they respond.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #6

If FL hasn't got this major problem fixed that says a lot about them. 3 years is a long time for Fl to fix the problem. Is FL still sending chassis out with problem?
Old 09-13-2017, 12:43 PM   #7

Just heard back from Freightliner on replacement of the welded fan/gearbox mount. Bottom line, the failure rate has not risen to the level of a recall or campaign to replace the mounts across the fleet. There is a Service Solution (SS 1033095) for post failure corrective action. That is convenient for Freightliner, not so much for owners stuck on the side of the road or in a hotel for weeks while they order parts. Freightliner suggest that as owners we have the mount inspected during our yearly maintenance and we inspect it ourselves in between times. Oh yes, if you hear something strange from the area of the radiator, we should have it looked at right away.

I recently talked with an owner that had the catastrophic failure. He had to have his coach towed, spent 3 weeks in a hotel while the parts were ordered, radiator replaced, fan and fan housing replaced, and the inconvenience of trip delay.

I am going to stay on their case until they become as proactive as I am or they get tired of hearing from me.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:57 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Just left Gaffney Freightliner Service where they inspected my radiator fan support and assured me it was fine and would cause me no problems. Meanwhile, just across from where we are parked is a pile of a couple dozen new support brackets....go figure. Note the beefed up corner pieces.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4FDE6207-6F22-49BF-81B9-A9DD9D180AF9.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	542.0 KB
ID:	180169   Click image for larger version

Name:	20BADB15-8733-48EE-B22E-F40AC7F21C00.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	558.4 KB
ID:	180170  

jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:23 PM   #9

When you look at the FL and Spartan chassis there is a big difference in the bracket that hold the fan drive. The Spartan just looking larger tubing and thicker metal. There is a lot of torque when fan goes into high speed something like 60 plus HP. This started in 15 and is still a big issue here in the end of 17. Some owners have gone and built there own brackets and other have had as many as 3 unit failures. Might be good to just beef it up for those who haven't had it break. May be the reason Spartan chassis orders are up.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:44 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
When you look at the FL and Spartan chassis there is a big difference in the bracket that hold the fan drive. The Spartan just looking larger tubing and thicker metal. There is a lot of torque when fan goes into high speed something like 60 plus HP. This started in 15 and is still a big issue here in the end of 17. Some owners have gone and built there own brackets and other have had as many as 3 unit failures. Might be good to just beef it up for those who haven't had it break. May be the reason Spartan chassis orders are up.

Fan bracket, rear tag alignment, wipers inop, odometers that don't read, fires from power steering line, recall that failed to catch all effected vehicles come to mind, some spanning multiple model years. And now this where you have a concerned owner with updated parts in piles not being offered the updated parts, better he should break down on the side of the road first.
So unacceptable! I'm surprised that Newmar isn't putting their foot down.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry davis View Post
Just left Gaffney Freightliner Service where they inspected my radiator fan support and assured me it was fine and would cause me no problems. Meanwhile, just across from where we are parked is a pile of a couple dozen new support brackets....go figure. Note the beefed up corner pieces.
These frames are different from the Service Solution frames that I received drawings of that are for the ISX15 engines. I wonder if these are frames for the Dutch Star configuration. Did you get any information from Gaffney on the whole situation.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:28 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewlee View Post
These frames are different from the Service Solution frames that I received drawings of that are for the ISX15 engines. I wonder if these are frames for the Dutch Star configuration. Did you get any information from Gaffney on the whole situation.
No info at all. The tech simply said mine looked fine and not to worry about it. He was the one that pointed out the pile of new brackets in the parking lot but they had no interest in replacing mine.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:29 AM   #13
Rd1

Quote:
Fan bracket, rear tag alignment, wipers inop, odometers that don't read, fires from power steering line,......

So unacceptable! I'm surprised that Newmar isn't putting their foot down.
With all due respect, why should newmar put their foot down? So long as 'WE' are willing to pay and buy this piece of junk from Daimler/Freightliner, why would newmar want to shoot themselves in the foot. they are making money. Isn't that what they are supposed to do?

Yes, there should be corporate responsibility. However, that responsibility starts with us. If no one is willing to take personal responsibility and write the CEO of daimler and fccc or even newmar, and raise these issues, these companies have no motivation to change. As long as we are willing to let ourselves to be treated as a consumable consumer, these issues would only get worst. Anyone with concerns, please feel free to write these people and let them know. If you have problems, then send a copy to your attorney general as well. It will have an impact, but nothing will change, if no one is willing to make any effort.

Mr. Roger Nielsen
President and Chief Executive Officer
Daimler Trucks North America
4545 Channel Avenue
Portland, Oregon 97217

Mr. Brian Burton, General Counsel
4555 N. Channel Ave
Portland, OR 97217

Mr. David, Carson
Chief Executive Officer and President
Freightliner Custom Chassis
552 Hyatt Street
Gaffney, South Carolina 29341
Old 10-18-2017, 07:08 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd1 View Post
With all due respect, why should newmar put their foot down? So long as 'WE' are willing to pay and buy this piece of junk from Daimler/Freightliner, why would newmar want to shoot themselves in the foot. they are making money. Isn't that what they are supposed to do?

Yes, there should be corporate responsibility. However, that responsibility starts with us. If no one is willing to take personal responsibility and write the CEO of daimler and fccc or even newmar, and raise these issues, these companies have no motivation to change. As long as we are willing to let ourselves to be treated as a consumable consumer, these issues would only get worst. Anyone with concerns, please feel free to write these people and let them know. If you have problems, then send a copy to your attorney general as well. It will have an impact, but nothing will change, if no one is willing to make any effort.

Mr. Roger Nielsen
President and Chief Executive Officer
4545 Channel Avenue
Portland, Oregon 97217

Mr. Brian Burton, General Counsel
4555 N. Channel Ave
Portland, OR 97217

Mr. David, Carson
Chief Executive Officer and President
Freightliner Custom Chassis
552 Hyatt Street
Gaffney, South Carolina 29341

You are absolutely correct, they are getting away with it because we are letting them. The real determination of what something is worth is set by what people will pay for it.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan