Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2015, 08:41 PM   #1

FanDrive Gearbox leaking oil

While under the back end of my 2015 DS with 6,400 miles on it I noticed there was an oil leak at the fan gearbox where the shaft comes out and attaches to the fan clutch. It's not running oil, just kind of a seap and down one of the main braces but not enough to drip on the concrete pad where the coach is parked.

Has anyone else with a late model Newmar noticed any oil leaking from their fan gear box? I guess I need to try removing the oil level plug (and from what I can see it looks like a real b____ ) from the side of the gear box to see if it is really low on oil. And if so, add some in the fill plug (another stretch, and I have long arms but not double jointed, to even touch it let alone pour oil in it).

I had to have the steering gear box replaced on my last Freightliner DP due to an oil leak so this shouldn't surprise me for some reason.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Allen....Often these will weep or throw some oil out the breather at the top. I would spray it with some 409 or similar product, rinse it off and keep an eye on it. Freightliner actually calls for draining, flushing and refilling the gearbox at 6K miles. When I checked mine at 6K, I also noted that it would be impossible to reach. I forgot who mentioned it, but it was pointed out that it's easily reached from inside the coach by pulling up the floor cover.

Allen....you need to quit agonizing over every little thing and start driving the coach. I bet you have more worry hours than actual usage hours. Get out and burn some diesel....drive it like you stole and have some fun!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:18 PM   #3

I'm trying real hard to enjoy this coach (considering the amount of money invested in it) just like I have the last 4 RVs during 27 years of RVing but every time my attitude surges this coach flies up and hits me with a different problem.

I'm not sure this could be considered weeping since one of the large braces has an oily dirty residue on it all the way down to where it's bolted. And it looks like a small accumulation of clean oil on the lower part of the gear box where the shaft comes out. But I do intend to clean it all off (would need to anyway before removing any of the plugs) and watch it more closely.

To reach the top of the engine from the bathroom I assume the black plugs have to be removed from the floor to remove the square cover but doesn't the wood panel at the bottom edge of the bathroom counter have to be removed also? What holds it in place? Are there screws anyplace or does it just snap in place?
Old 11-13-2015, 06:50 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Allen, I've had a similar looking "leak" and called Freightliner. They told me that is was almost certainly overfilled and probably nothing to worry about. They said take a look at it regularly for a while, if it doesn't change it's not a problem. I've put 10,000 on the coach since then and it hasn't changed.

I'll have them look at it during the 1 year maintenance but for now I'm not going to give it a second thought.
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:44 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 on overfill. I did my own gear box fluid change and had the same "leak". I cleaned and filled properly and have not seen any reoccurrence.

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4347, Active Air
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
X2 on overfill. I did my own gear box fluid change and had the same "leak". I cleaned and filled properly and have not seen any reoccurrence.

What kind of procedure did you have to go through in order to change the fluid? I haven't tried to reach it from above in the rear bath yet but from outside it certainly looks like it takes someone double jointed and with at least a 40" reach.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:19 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did it from the inside, thru the access cover. It was a long way "down" too, but ultimately easier than trying to get under the coach to do the work.

For cleaning I attacked from all angles.

redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:33 PM   #8

Scott, do you have a local FL shop that does your annual maintenance or do you go to Gaffney for it? I've always done all my own yearly maintenance but age and all the technology of the Newmars being just a little overwhelming to me I'm not sure how much I'm prepared to tackle from now on. It will be a 90 mile drive one direction and 100-120 miles another direction to reach a FL shop from home. There's a small diesel shop here in town but not sure how much work they would do, or know what to do, on a motor home.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:53 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
We were at Freightliner in Gaffney a few weeks ago for our 15M service. The tech noted that the fan gear box was leaking and they replaced it under warranty.
jbrown000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:21 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Scott, do you have a local FL shop that does your annual maintenance or do you go to Gaffney for it? I've always done all my own yearly maintenance but age and all the technology of the Newmars being just a little overwhelming to me I'm not sure how much I'm prepared to tackle from now on. It will be a 90 mile drive one direction and 100-120 miles another direction to reach a FL shop from home. There's a small diesel shop here in town but not sure how much work they would do, or know what to do, on a motor home.
I have a couple of FL service shops within striking distance here so will use one of them Allen. The shop in Houston is a drive across the city which is a pain so I'll probably tow my Jeep and head 90 miles northwest to Bryan TX, leave the coach there for a few days and pick it up when it's done. Certainly not a job I want to tackle and I think best left to the experts!
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:23 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was having Freightliner perform the 6K service on the radiator gear box fluids and the service tech noticed some oil seepage. It seemed like the same oil leaks that have been described in this thread.
Upon further inspection, the tech said the gear box motor was leaking a small amount of fluid. They replaced the radiator gear box motor under warranty and I got the fluid changed under warranty.
I mentioned this thread to the service tech and explained the extension tube being put on the breather tube. He said he has never seen this done and checked within the Freightliner system and confirmed that this is not an authorized Freightliner suggested remedy. He did agree that it would work if the problem is only seepage from the overflow. He has never seen overflow seepage as a problem but has encountered several motors leaking fluid ever since Freightliner changed to a different type motor about 3 years ago.
I suggest everyone keep a close eye on this because the motor replacement is not a cheap fix. (Motor $3,700 plus 4 hours labor to install)
2BU Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:47 PM   #12

I wonder if the gear box leaks enough fluid for it to run dry and ruin the gear box (and probably everything around it when the fan goes wild) if the replacement should be covered under warranty, assuming the coach is still in the warranty period. If the required 6 month maintenance hasn't been done they would probably use that as an excuse to get out of the warranty repair stating the leak would have been discovered at that time.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:31 PM   #13

Here is my original thread started in June, 2015 noting the fan gear leaking issue and my discussions with Freightliner:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/fan-...-a-249269.html

As noted in that thread, I did indeed contact Freightliner who confirmed that they have had issues resulting in the replacement of gear boxes until it was determined that the leaking was through the breather. At that time, they came up with a very easy fix as noted in that thread. I spoke to Tonya Henson at Freightliner who sent me pictures outlining how to make the appropriate modifications to the breather. I have had no leaking since extending the breather tubing. (Haven't loaded pictures before and currently do not know how but will try in a future reply)
Old 11-17-2015, 08:44 PM   #14

Here are the two pictures I received from Freightliner

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan Drive Hose.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	396.8 KB
ID:	112228

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan Drive Hose Routing.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	112229