Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2017, 11:14 PM   #1

Question Fantastic fan making squeaking noise

Haven't used my fan for several months. Put on today at 10% setting and you could hear a squeak from the blade turning. Any way to lube? It's still under our first year warranty.
Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2017, 07:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawg46 View Post
Haven't used my fan for several months. Put on today at 10% setting and you could hear a squeak from the blade turning. Any way to lube? It's still under our first year warranty.
We're experiencing the same thing on the kitchen fan but not the bathroom fan. We added it to the list of warranty issues to be addressed.
lnanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:17 AM   #3

Kitchen

It's our kitchen fan also.
Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:35 AM   #4

The Fantastic Fans carry a 2-year warranty...and the Fantastic Fan folks
are just that - "fantastic" to deal with and honor their product, as has been
my experience. To me it seems that the "noise" is inherent. After over a
year of my coach purchase Fantastic shipped me two replacement fans,
because of the squeaking noise I complained about. While the noise is
somewhat fainter, it is still there...while not completely satisfied with it,
I'm trying to ignore it best as can. I'm not certain whether lubing is a
recommendation by Fantastic...I've yet to pursue that. Certainly seems
it should help, at least temporarily. All three of my FF's seem to give off
the same faint squeak. Good luck in getting yours to quiet down!
Old 04-30-2017, 07:43 AM   #5

I'm not sure what Fantastic Fan would recommend but I would suggest a dry lube if you are going to try to lube it. If you use a wet lube (WD40 or Lithium Grease), it will get contaminated with dust and make things worse.

-B
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:48 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like a bearing (pun intended). Most bearings are sealed units anymore. Trying to lubricate it "may" void the warranty. I would check with the FF people first. Another thought. Without the fan turned on, rotate the blade to see if it nicks the edge of the shroud. If it does, a little tweak of the blade/blade mount may cure the squeak.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:56 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I replaced the 12 year old Fantastic fan motor on our HR a couple of weeks ago. The new one has a faint "squeal" that the old one did not have. I've read on a couple of forums that this is a common problem with the new motor design. The noise doesn't bother us because of ambient noise during the day but night is a different matter.
TinCanTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:20 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I took the fan blade off and gave the shaft a squirt of lubricant. Noise is gone. It has performed well as we use the fan a lot.

Am thinking of upgrading to a better model. We have the basic model. Works well but I want a variable speed, reversing, rain sensor model. Comes with a remote. Can never have too many remotes!
Old 04-30-2017, 10:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Am thinking of upgrading to a better model. We have the basic model. Works well but I want a variable speed, reversing, rain sensor model. Comes with a remote. Can never have too many remotes!
If you get vent covers you won't need rain sensing and you will be able to leave them open and operate them in the rain which we find to be a big plus.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:21 PM   #10

Appreciate all the input. I feel it wise to call Fantastic re use of a
lubricant. Think I'll do just that tomorrow.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:52 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
If you get vent covers you won't need rain sensing and you will be able to leave them open and operate them in the rain which we find to be a big plus.
Have vent cover but took it off. The cover did not let the vent cover go all the way open so I felt the air flow was reduced.

Now that you mention the other benefits I think I will put it back on.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:05 AM   #12

Our Fantastic Fan above the stove in our coach doesn't squeal or squeak. Maybe, after 28 years, the motor has finally been broke in?
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:59 PM   #13

Technical Support at Fantastic Fan informed me today that NO lubricants
should be used on the motor as it is a sealed unit. I was further told that
a "bad batch" of motors had been installed with complaints of "squeeling"
and "squeaking". Under their 2-year warranty, two of mine are being
replaced at no charge. The hassle involved is that I must take my coach
to my dealer or another who will agree to do the work (few will!). In my
case Camping World (close to me) will do the work, but wants it left over-
night to "diagnose and order under warranty", after which they want it
back when the part(s) are received. Rain sensor circuit boards for two
of my units will likewise be replaced. Thought this info would be of
interest to many.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:00 PM   #14

Fantastic Fan Squeal

I bought a new top-of-line Fantastic Fan a couple of weeks ago via Amazon, to swap out the lesser model in our bedroom and put that one into the bathroom (it had a real piece of junk). I had years ago put the previous top-line model (6500?) in our older RV and absolutely loved it and raved about it to everyone.

I was a bit upset when this new one arrived and wasn't as pictured on the seller's add on Amazon (they showed the old one with a different motor). Being wary, I tested it before installation but it seemed just fine so I decided to give it a shot.

30 min after installation, it started a slight squeak at low speeds. Unfortunately that would be a problem because my wife is extremely sensitive to high frequency squeaks/squeals. I let it run intermittently for a couple of days and it increased to a squeal at pretty much any speed. Atwood's warranty policy of requiring it go to a dealer for assessment and then return for later repair was not going to work for us at all. So I forked out $ for a new replacement motor.

In the meantime, being equipped with relentlessly curiousity and a belief that I can fix darned near anything ever made by another human being, I decided to pull that squeaky fan motor last night and open it up (what the hey, I was voiding the warranty anyway by replacing the entire motor myself...) After removing the motor, it squeaked very audibly even when turning it slowly by hand.

Opening it up, I discovered some very interesting things.

First, the bearings used both top and bottom in these 8017A motors are extremely common - over the past 10 years I've seen them and replaced them in roller blades, skate boards, a 3D printer, and a stair-climber exercise machine. Remember the fidget spinner craze last year? Most of them also had the same sealed bearings. In the case of these ones, the bearings were smooth as silk and firmly attached to the commutator shaft and so definitely not responsible. I've seen plenty of bad examples of these bearings, but these ones were just fine.

The motor design is actually fairly ingenious and should be pretty reliable and durable. There really was nothing else I could find that could have been rubbing or binding to produce any such noise. Except for the brushes The only thing I thought odd about the build quality of the motor internals is that the brushes seemed awfully loose inside the brush guides, more so than any motor I've ever seen (and I've repaired dozens over the years and torn apart dozens more out of curiousity...) From my experience I was highly confident squeezing in the brass guides a tiny bit to tighten them up slightly (still leaving them quite sliding very freely but no longer super-wobbly). Honestly, the brush guides stood out as being the one thing in the entire motor that looked out of place quality-wise, in that everything else looked pretty well designed and built to a reasonably high tolerance.

The other thing I noticed while handing the disassembled motor is that if I tapped the housing with anything, the sound it made had overtones at very similar frequencies to the squealing I had been hearing. I've also been an audio nut for decades and used to pay a lot of attention to resonances of speaker enclosures and all kinds of other things... Definitely found this interesting.

I then googled, and sure enough there are plenty of studies on the causes of squealing brushes in motors. So without any further modifications or lubrication (other than blowing out any loose dust) I reassembled and there was no longer any squeaking when turning by hand or running at any speed. I've now reassembled the entire thing and left it running - quietly so far, fingers crossed.

I may find over time that this fix was not permanent, but at this point my belief is that the squeaking/squealing was a result of 2 things: primary is a high frequency vibration of the motor brushes due in part to the brush guides being far too loose, and secondary is that the motor housing just happens to be of a shape, material and thickness to not do a good job of suppressing (and perhaps even amplify) the noise generated from the motor brushes.

I expect to be running the fan a fair bit over the next 10 days while we prepare for a trip, and then a lot over the following 3 weeks. I will try to remember to update on whether or not this fix holds up.
rjkovach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, noise