RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-03-2020, 09:14 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
DaveDS4018's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Waldorf, MD
Posts: 145
Fault Code 559

Short Story.

Went to Gaffney for 48 month service on Nov 17. Left Gaffney on Nov 18 and drove to Murphy NC - Western NC. When we arriver found oily film on rear of coach and on toad. Went under coach and found what looked like oily spots covering the underside from drive axle to rear of coach.

Contacted Gaffney and after several calls it was decided that the Tech did not wipe all of the grease off the driveshaft after service.

Left murphy on Sat Nov 21 and stopped in Mebane, NC over night. On the way to Mebane the coach stumbled several times. Didn't seem to be a problem so we started out on Sun Nov 22 for Ashland Va.

Going up I85 the problem got worse. Pulled into a truck stop and called Freightliner. Told them we had little to no power (45 tops). Looked for fault codes and there were none. Freightliner said we could continue to drive the coach and recommended we make our way over to Carolina Freightliner in Rocky Mount, NC.

On our way between I85 and I95 the coach got worse and actually quit twice.
By them we had several fault codes - 559 and 4658. We nursed it into a parking lot half way to Rocky Mount and called for tow service. Do to several mix ups it took the tow driver 10 hrs to get to us. We got to Carolina Freightliner about the time they opened up. Even arriving unannounced we were in the shop within an hour. About 3 to 4 hours later we were on our way. They said the fuel filter looked like it had not been replaced in a long time. They replace both fuel filters and said it looked like the problem was cleared up. They did do a 20 mile test drive after completing work.

However 150 miles up the road the problem came back - Fault Code 559.

Right now it is setting in the driveway waiting to have both fuel filters changed - Scheduled for Sun Dec 6. Hopes this clears up the problem for good.

So my question is has anybody ran into this problem and what was done to correct it? If the filter changes does not fix it there is a Cummins Service Center about 50 miles away. That is where it will go next.

Any help will be appreciated.

Dave C.
__________________
2018 Dutch Star 4018, 2013 Chevy Equinox LTZ, Retired USAF 92, Retired FG 2012. Don't grow up it's a trick.
DaveDS4018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2020, 09:36 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Odessa, Tx.
Posts: 484
I’m going to call BS on u-joint grease getting on the toad.

Sounds more like the fill plug wasn’t reinstalled after tech checked / added diff oil.
__________________
John and Sue from W. Texas
2001 DSDP, 3126B Cat

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:48 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Oxford, Conn & Davenport,Florida
Posts: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDS4018 View Post
Short Story.

Went to Gaffney for 48 month service on Nov 17. Left Gaffney on Nov 18 and drove to Murphy NC - Western NC. When we arriver found oily film on rear of coach and on toad. Went under coach and found what looked like oily spots covering the underside from drive axle to rear of coach.

Contacted Gaffney and after several calls it was decided that the Tech did not wipe all of the grease off the driveshaft after service.

Left murphy on Sat Nov 21 and stopped in Mebane, NC over night. On the way to Mebane the coach stumbled several times. Didn't seem to be a problem so we started out on Sun Nov 22 for Ashland Va.

Going up I85 the problem got worse. Pulled into a truck stop and called Freightliner. Told them we had little to no power (45 tops). Looked for fault codes and there were none. Freightliner said we could continue to drive the coach and recommended we make our way over to Carolina Freightliner in Rocky Mount, NC.

On our way between I85 and I95 the coach got worse and actually quit twice.
By them we had several fault codes - 559 and 4658. We nursed it into a parking lot half way to Rocky Mount and called for tow service. Do to several mix ups it took the tow driver 10 hrs to get to us. We got to Carolina Freightliner about the time they opened up. Even arriving unannounced we were in the shop within an hour. About 3 to 4 hours later we were on our way. They said the fuel filter looked like it had not been replaced in a long time. They replace both fuel filters and said it looked like the problem was cleared up. They did do a 20 mile test drive after completing work.

However 150 miles up the road the problem came back - Fault Code 559.

Right now it is setting in the driveway waiting to have both fuel filters changed - Scheduled for Sun Dec 6. Hopes this clears up the problem for good.

So my question is has anybody ran into this problem and what was done to correct it? If the filter changes does not fix it there is a Cummins Service Center about 50 miles away. That is where it will go next.

Any help will be appreciated.

Dave C.
Did we ever learn what Fault Code 559 is????....C
__________________
2017 45 FT Newmar Mountain Aire Seville Freightliner..with a 2015 Granite Grand Cherokee
Limited....GO NOLES
2012 (Piglet)American Tradition Merlot-Spartan>>SOLD
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:57 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
DaveDS4018's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Waldorf, MD
Posts: 145
JNSNWT - U-joint grease was verified by Carolina Freightliner. They cleaned up Drive shaft and re greased it to make sure it was ok.

Chuchster - Fault code 559 - Engine injector metering rail / Pressure data valid but below normal operating range - Moderately Severe Level - Amber Check Engine Light. This can be caused by clogged fuel filters.

It shows up as SPN 157 FMI 18 OC 1 - Equals Cummins 559 Code.

Fault Code 4658 - After treatment / Diesel exhaust fluid actual dosing quantity data valid but below normal operating range - Moderately Severe Level.

It shows up as SPN 4331 FMI 18 OC 1 - Equals Cummins 4658 Code.

The second code did not show up again after they changed the fuel filters and is not showing now.

Dave C.
__________________
2018 Dutch Star 4018, 2013 Chevy Equinox LTZ, Retired USAF 92, Retired FG 2012. Don't grow up it's a trick.
DaveDS4018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:32 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Rev. Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 286
I am wondering if you have gotten contaminated fuel somewhere. Saw this on farm equipment a few years ago. The filters are doing what they're supposed to do and protect the engine. If they clogged up that quickly the fuel is the likely problem.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:43 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
DaveDS4018's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Waldorf, MD
Posts: 145
Rev Roy,

Will know more Sun after we change filters again.

However, you may be correct. If that is the case I need to stay away from the TA in Chandler, NC. Filled up there on Nov 18 and Nov 21. Right after that my problems started.

Have only used TA and Love's on my cross country and back trip this year. Stopped at the TA in Chandler after work at Gaffney and then on my way back to MD. No problems at any time before that.

Hopefully I can change a few filters, replace burned fuel with good fuel and work through the problem. Only time will tell.

Dave C.
__________________
2018 Dutch Star 4018, 2013 Chevy Equinox LTZ, Retired USAF 92, Retired FG 2012. Don't grow up it's a trick.
DaveDS4018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:23 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Ljwt330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Capistrano Beach, California
Posts: 2,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDS4018 View Post
JNSNWT - U-joint grease was verified by Carolina Freightliner. They cleaned up Drive shaft and re greased it to make sure it was ok.

Chuchster - Fault code 559 - Engine injector metering rail / Pressure data valid but below normal operating range - Moderately Severe Level - Amber Check Engine Light. This can be caused by clogged fuel filters.

It shows up as SPN 157 FMI 18 OC 1 - Equals Cummins 559 Code.

Fault Code 4658 - After treatment / Diesel exhaust fluid actual dosing quantity data valid but below normal operating range - Moderately Severe Level.

It shows up as SPN 4331 FMI 18 OC 1 - Equals Cummins 4658 Code.

The second code did not show up again after they changed the fuel filters and is not showing now.

Dave C.
Just curious, why would the second code, that deals with DEF, be remedied by changing the fuel filters? Did you add DEF or have the delivery system checked at the time of the service, or is this a coincidence?
__________________
Larry, Eileen, and Finley
2004 Alpine 36FDDS
Third motor home, first Alpine, no need for another.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:51 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
 
Dutch Star Don's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Moorpark, Ca.
Posts: 16,560
Sounds like you might have a DEF head failure.
__________________
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 (Freightliner)
2019 Ford Raptor
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:32 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
DaveDS4018's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Waldorf, MD
Posts: 145
What I should have said - The 4658 code was not showing when they worked on the 559 Code and has not shown up after they replaced the fuel filters. Also it did not show up the second time I got the 559 code after I left their shop and drove about 150 miles. Right now the only code that shows is the 559 code.

I know there has been problems with the DEF Head on other coaches. My question is what should I look for or how will I know if or when that problem starts?

The coach runs fine until that 559 code shows up. Then it wants to stumble every now and then.

Dave C.
__________________
2018 Dutch Star 4018, 2013 Chevy Equinox LTZ, Retired USAF 92, Retired FG 2012. Don't grow up it's a trick.
DaveDS4018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:45 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Ljwt330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Capistrano Beach, California
Posts: 2,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDS4018 View Post
What I should have said - The 4658 code was not showing when they worked on the 559 Code and has not shown up after they replaced the fuel filters. Also it did not show up the second time I got the 559 code after I left their shop and drove about 150 miles. Right now the only code that shows is the 559 code.

I know there has been problems with the DEF Head on other coaches. My question is what should I look for or how will I know if or when that problem starts?

The coach runs fine until that 559 code shows up. Then it wants to stumble every now and then.

Dave C.
Sounds like two separate issues then. The 559 is being addressed and could cause the performance problems mentioned. The 4658 appears to be an unrelated one-off about the DEF system.

Only a guess, but the 4658 is about dosing so I wouldn’t suspect a DEF head issue. The DEF system includes other components, including injectors, that are monitored and this code is related to those components. If this part of the DEF system can be affected by hesitation and poor running, I don’t know. You may have a DEF failure looming on the horizon, but I know of no way to preempt it, even if it was related to the head sensor. At least with a head sensor, you can carry a spare.

If this was my issue, I would ask a Cummins tech about the 4658 code, what possibly could cause it, could it be connected to engine performance, and is there anything to check now, since the code was recorded.
__________________
Larry, Eileen, and Finley
2004 Alpine 36FDDS
Third motor home, first Alpine, no need for another.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:13 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 15
Dave: I have a 2019 Dutch Star (Spartan) and just experienced the same symptoms you did, including the 559 code. I needed to have my fuel filters replaced by a mobile tech and that fixed the problem.
gweiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Check Engine Light Fault code 559 MJM1954 Newmar Owner's Forum 8 11-15-2019 01:15 PM
Onboard ground fault conflicts with campground ground fault skatebus80 Country Coach Owners Forum 3 07-15-2017 01:42 PM
559 Trouble Code moisheh Cummins Engines 20 01-22-2016 02:08 PM
Generator Shut-off--Fault code 27 Old Scout Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 5 06-20-2008 05:39 AM
Onan fault code 34 gary85 MH-General Discussions & Problems 5 08-03-2006 03:17 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.