Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2019, 09:30 AM   #1

Fault codes

It all started when I‘m getting ready to leave yesterday morning of course has to be a Friday right? the engine light on come on, since I’m a mechanic declined, I call Newmar, no one, Spartan no one, Cummins ok I got someone just to tell me to call Spartan :( ok Spartan tells me it’s a low coolant, I still see coolant in the little window but I say ok, I figure I just go to the Cummins dealer and buy some Coolant LOL not so fast they don’t have it “inventory must be off” what? Drove 20 min to a Napa store, of course got back put in about a 1/2 cup, engine light miraculous went off, oh? warning light at 1/2 cup weird. Drove about 30 miles in a bumper to bumper traffic on 99W suddenly the engine just died, no engine light, no coasting noting, no limp mode so I’m in right lane thank goodness, wow you really see the nature of people in situations like that ok I set up all my emergency signals and unbelievable people dodging my triangles and then getting stuck behind me and cursing up storm “hello I just love to park here and block traffic” did anyone stop to see if we need help heck no, but the folks from a storage facility was very nice in taking our pets to a cool building and asked if it was anything they could do, very very nice, by now I have coach net one line, Spartan on another and cops knocking not a good day to start a Friday. The cops helped with “the nice drivers” and suggested a really piss then off but opening the owning and set up the chairs hahaha, I’m glad he has a gun and a sense humor so the codes are 3936 engine 16 and 111 engine 3 the conclusion was to disconnect the sender for the coolant, after several more attempts nothing, about an hours pass Coach net call again to check on status and talking with a coach net tech, I attempted one more time before the dispatching the tow truck, and the engine started engine light still on I was able to drive to another campground and Monday find a place to take her, suspect is the coolant sending unit, how about 3936? Still don’t know. Yes we are lucky could have been worst
Thanks Coach net, thanks Spartan (Mike) and thanks for the Cops for crowd control
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2019, 11:37 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi- A 3936 SPN code should relate to Diesel Particulate Filter system. Sounds like the drivers in Delaware haven't changed a bit in the last 50 years. :>(

Tom
Old 09-07-2019, 02:32 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Wow, that’s every RVer’s nightmare! Glad it turned out ok!
Old 09-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hi- A 3936 SPN code should relate to Diesel Particulate Filter system. Sounds like the drivers in Delaware haven't changed a bit in the last 50 years. :>(

Tom
The sad thing Tom is that wasn’t in Delaware but in Oregon, I didn’t expect that the Oregonians to be like that they seem to be so laid back LOL

Zzotte
Old 09-07-2019, 04:55 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Should be able to find fault codes in chassis forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:58 PM   #6

Had the same issue and Spartan replaced the sender under warranty. No issue since.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattChief View Post
Had the same issue and Spartan replaced the sender under warranty. No issue since.
Hi Batt not many of us here (4054’s) don’t you just love it?

Zzotte
Old 09-07-2019, 06:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";4946231]Should be able to find fault codes in [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f15/
chassis forums[/URL][/B].
Thanks 007

Zzotte
Old 09-07-2019, 06:25 PM   #9

What was the engine coolant temperature?
Old 09-07-2019, 06:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzotte View Post
Hi Batt not many of us here (4054’s) don’t you just love it?

Zzotte
Absolutely love it! We special ordered ours and it is perfect. It's our 3rd and final coach!
Old 09-07-2019, 09:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
What was the engine coolant temperature?
Normal within range below 250

Zzotte
Old 09-07-2019, 09:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattChief View Post
Absolutely love it! We special ordered ours and it is perfect. It's our 3rd and final coach!

Zzotte
Old 09-07-2019, 10:56 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Wow....what a coincidence....we spent three weeks on the Oregon Coast with no issues. Thursday we headed home via I-5. We pulled into a Rest Stop in Oregon and had lunch. Everything was fine when we stopped. After lunch I started the coach and got this.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190905_125542.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	325.8 KB
ID:	259555

I called Freightliner and they said it was the coolant sensor. They said it was okay to drive, but have it checked when I can. The coolant level was well above the sight glass and 5" above the sensor.

I called a friend who lives in Oregon who said I was just about to pass a great Freightliner shop in Coburg, Oregon (Northwest Freightliner/Coach Care). We pulled in at 1:30 and the Service Writer said they were pretty busy. I decided I would just buy the sensor and install it later. Before I did, he checked and said they could look at it at 2:00 pm. They quickly diagnosed the sensor as bad, but they didn't have any in stock. We decided to stay the night and they would have one overnighted.

Wouldn't you know it, I fired up the coach to park it where we could open the slides and the light went off. Freightliner doesn't get paid unless they finish the repair so we spent the night. The next day, the part arrived about 45 minutes earlier than expected and they jumped right on the install.

While they were doing the original diagnosis, I had them change the engine brake parameters so that it comes on sooner when it exceeds the cruise control setting. They charged $80.00 for the parameter change (cheap) and $35.00 for the overnight shipping. Drove the coach home over the next two days and no issue.

I would give anything to have a Freightliner shop like this, where I live. They really catered to RV's.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:20 AM   #14

Hi Don, I’m so glad that it’s all good for you too, people can be nasty when they get into traffic unfortunately I didn’t the low coolant warning just the engine light on, so I had to figure out what was going on, been in Oregon and Spartan and Newmar 3 hours ahead does not help much, in retrospect I should had disconnect the sensor anyway right after speaking with Spartan but I figure well with the engine light off should be ok right? Wrong, now 3936 is something to do with particulate filter that should not had shot the engine done should it?

Zzotte