RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2017, 06:46 PM   #1

Few questions on the new 2018 bay star 3124

Giving serious consideration to ordering a Newmar Bay Star 3124 within the next couple of months with a factory pickup. I know it is an entry level coach and it will be my first one. (Sold the boat). Hoping some of you could answer a few questions *if I can get them in one post) or refer me to someone AT NEWMAR who could answer them. Thanks so much

Without all the hoopla that can sometimes be expressed in these posts, can anyone direct me (here or by way of private message) to the specs for the 2018 Bay Star 3124 entry level coach and/or their experiences with one? Someone was kind enough to post the 2018 build sheet so I am familiar with that information. Specifically I am wondering about the following and whether they be add ons or even possible to order on a new 3124 Newmar coach:

1. Ground clearance and what is the lowest point?

2. Are the tanks (fresh, black and grey in heated bays? If not, what is the amp draw on the heating pad(s)?

3. Is the roof, walls, front and end caps all fiberglass?

4. Dual pane windows means what...how much space between the panes, does it include the door? Speaking of doors, can you get a drivers' side door, saw one on youtube

5. Is there, and specifically what type, of installation is in the slideouts? (upgradeable?)

6. Will they do four (4) 6v batteries on a slide out WITHOUT Residential REF AND with a 3 way RV refrigerator?

7. The upgrades R-19 insulation is it in the floor and the roof and on each slide roof?

8. Will Newmar tell you what the CCC is after you "choose the options" you want or are they like Fleetwood who says you have to "order it first" and have it built BEFORE they can tell you the CCC?

9. What is this bunk bed from a couch thing? Any pictures of how that works?

10. Can you get the drop down fold down bed over the cab area?

11. What kind of springs, shocks, front and rear sway/stabilizer bars come with it? Upgrades?

12. Will they install a CB and the antenna?

13. Will they pre-wire for cell and wi-fi boosters, from the roof antenna to the box above the door or wherever?

14. Will they combine the black and grey tanks with each other with one drain for you? (Getting composting toilet)

15. Will they install vent covers on the fans (what kind) and do they have auto temp sensors (have 2 dogs)

16. Will they pre-wire with 4 gauge from the combiner box on the roof to where a "solar charger" would go near, same place as the batteries?

17. Can they pre-wire ALL the A/C circuits (not just tv and ref) so that they can be connected to and powered by a 3000 inverter/3 stage battery charger?

18. Are there pictures of the different dinettes, desk/table options? I presume on the 2018 build there may be OHC as well per the build sheet.

19. Do they come with an auto gen transfer switch for when you plug in vs gen AND do they have an automatic generator start switch so when batts get low or you want to run the A/c when the temperature gets to a certain point the gen automatically starts?

20. Does the entrance door have dead bolts and can you use a clicker to open and lock it?

21. Is there an outside TV option, will the bedroom TV be able to use the free channel antenna on the roof?

22. Can you get an oven?

23. What kind of water heater (gals) and is it propane and electric?

24. What are the bays made out of...rotocast or something better?

25. Are there any pictures or space estimate or layout of the roof to figure out the number of solar panels that can go up there (looking for 600ish watts) and their placement

26. What brand and size tires come with it? upgradable?

I know there is a lot of information being requested here but whatever knowledge and experience(s) you may have to any of the questions being asked would really be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time and input

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #2

Oh come on, someone knows something...lol

Daniel
Old 06-20-2017, 10:30 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
This link will get you the build sheets. The brochures will get you the 2017 standard items. Beyond that, you need a dealer you can work with and a salesman!

https://www.newmarcorp.com/dealer-resources/

Bill
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #4

AFA a dealer you may be able to ask, although I did not work with Tom (wish I had), everyone seems to really recommend: Tom Lindstrom RV in Southern California. AFA Newmar contact I did not order mine so I cannot help you from a purchase contact, but from a support perspective, Dave (baystarservice@newmarcorp.com) has been helpful and I am sure he could refer you to a sales contact.

As far as any specifics on your questions, I can only offer information based on my 2017 BS 3113 (which is very close to the 3124 model) for some of them, however I cannot speak to 2018 differences (if there are any, which from what I have heard there is not a whole lot).

1. Ground clearance and what is the lowest point?

Will have to measure mine.

2. Are the tanks (fresh, black and grey in heated bays? If not, what is the amp draw on the heating pad(s)?

Mine have heat pads on them (and I believe they are ducted to furnace also). Have not checked amp draw yet.

3. Is the roof, walls, front and end caps all fiberglass?

Roof is not fiberglass

4. Dual pane windows means what...how much space between the panes, does it include the door? Speaking of doors, can you get a drivers' side door, saw one on youtube

Dont know the details on this, just that they are DP.

5. Is there, and specifically what type, of installation is in the slideouts? (upgradeable?)

Feature list says 5/8" Foam Insulation Laminated in Sidewalls & Ceiling with Optional Polar Pak R19 batten Insulation in Roof

6. Will they do four (4) 6v batteries on a slide out WITHOUT Residential REF AND with a 3 way RV refrigerator?

Dont know dealer/Newmar question.

7. The upgrades R-19 insulation is it in the floor and the roof and on each slide roof?

It is just main roof.

8. Will Newmar tell you what the CCC is after you "choose the options" you want or are they like Fleetwood who says you have to "order it first" and have it built BEFORE they can tell you the CCC?

Dont know dealer/Newmar question

9. What is this bunk bed from a couch thing? Any pictures of how that works?

Dont have this so dealer/Newmar question

10. Can you get the drop down fold down bed over the cab area?

I have this on 2017 (it is an option).

11. What kind of springs, shocks, front and rear sway/stabilizer bars come with it? Upgrades?

Other than standard Ford F53 chassis springs nothing else for springs (I assume you are talking about something like Sumo springs)

The Ford F53 Chassis comes with factory sway bars, but many (including myself) find these insufficient and install 3rd party items or at the very least do the Cheap Handling Fix (do a search). I put on Road Master front and rear sway bars myself, and did the CHF (on rear).

No steering stabilizer on stock F53 (I put on Safe-T-Plus myself)

I switched out the stock Bilstein shocks with Koni FSD shocks myself.

I believe most dealers would install any of these for you, but I do not know if Newmar would offer any as an option (don't think they would).

12. Will they install a CB and the antenna?

Dealer likely would, not sure if Newmar would.

13. Will they pre-wire for cell and wi-fi boosters, from the roof antenna to the box above the door or wherever?

Not sure.

14. Will they combine the black and grey tanks with each other with one drain for you? (Getting composting toilet)

Already have 1 drain for black/grey (tanks are separate/valves but use same dump drain).

15. Will they install vent covers on the fans (what kind) and do they have auto temp sensors (have 2 dogs)

Both of my fans are the Fantastic fans with temp and rain sense. AFA covers I suspect any dealer would install for you, but not sure about Newmar.

16. Will they pre-wire with 4 gauge from the combiner box on the roof to where a "solar charger" would go near, same place as the batteries?

17. Can they pre-wire ALL the A/C circuits (not just tv and ref) so that they can be connected to and powered by a 3000 inverter/3 stage battery charger?

18. Are there pictures of the different dinettes, desk/table options? I presume on the 2018 build there may be OHC as well per the build sheet.

19. Do they come with an auto gen transfer switch for when you plug in vs gen AND do they have an automatic generator start switch so when batts get low or you want to run the A/c when the temperature gets to a certain point the gen automatically starts?

2017 is not auto start (would like this for my dog also)

20. Does the entrance door have dead bolts and can you use a clicker to open and lock it?

Not sure about clicker?

21. Is there an outside TV option, will the bedroom TV be able to use the free channel antenna on the roof?

Mine has outside TV option. Dont use the bedroom TV (but I did wire my SAT antenna to the coax going to bedroom). I am not sure whether the OTA antenna feeds back there.

22. Can you get an oven?

23. What kind of water heater (gals) and is it propane and electric?

Atwood WH 6gal GC6AA-10E (Gas and Electric)

24. What are the bays made out of...rotocast or something better?

I believe it is the rotocast material, but not sure how to tell (not metal)

25. Are there any pictures or space estimate or layout of the roof to figure out the number of solar panels that can go up there (looking for 600ish watts) and their placement

Dealer/Newmar question

26. What brand and size tires come with it? upgradable?

Mine are 235/80R22.5 G XRV
Not sure if up gradable.
2017 3113 NewMar BayStar, Safe-T-Plus, RoadMaster SB, SuperSteer TB, Koni FSD shocks, CHF Rear, Sumo Springs, Centramatics, EEZ TPMS, King TailGater, LED Headlight kit, EMS-PT50X, Adjustable arm-rests, MagnaShade, 2017 Cherokee TrailHawk Toad...
And Tucker -
sedaliaterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:59 AM   #5

While several of your questions have been answered, in the above post, it really depends on what the changes are for 2018 and what is "stock" vs an "option". I would highly recommend you contact Tom Lindstrom in Moorpark Ca. He is the owner of Tom Lindstrom RV and sells most of his MH's as special orders. He can definitely answer these questions, and if anybody can get Newmar to extra stuff, Tom is definitely the guy to go with. We bought from Tom and couldn't be happier. He will take care of you both before and after the sale. He knows his stuff and is an honest and ethical man. He will tell you how to best outfit your MH and will not try to upsell anything just to make a profit. He sells to a lot of out of State buyers, and is definitely worth giving a call to.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:03 PM   #6

Thanks for all the responses....and the suggested dealer. As for all the questions i asked (just read this again) must have been on a coffee roll that day....sort of an occupational hazard Thanks again for the replies, every bit helps

Daniel
Old 07-11-2017, 10:13 PM   #7

Tom Lindstrom is who I bought my 3124 from. He's a good guy. Honest and very helpful. He also sells cheaper than most other dealers.
Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawg46 View Post
Tom Lindstrom is who I bought my 3124 from. He's a good guy. Honest and very helpful. He also sells cheaper than most other dealers.
We're working with Tom on our Bay Star order. He'll have a 3113 on his lot next week. We're going down to play house in it and then order our own...assuming that coach isn't very close to what we want. Then we might just buy it

Tom comes highly recommended. We've met with him and he was very honest, no pressure and always answers are emails or phone messages promptly.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:40 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good! You can report on the enhanced slide openings, driver legroom, and the new and improved emergency exit.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
Good! You can report on the enhanced slide openings, driver legroom, and the new and improved emergency exit.
Sans the emergency exit, I was planning to do just that. Didn't know about the exit. Will look.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:45 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Few questions on the new 2018 bay star 3124

The exit may be wishful thinking. I could see my wife re-breaking her leg dropping out of the existing exit window - it's a good 7 feet off the ground. I'd love to see the larger rear window used as a exit combined with the rear ladder.

If you can, check the bathroom sink to see if they fixed the standing water issue with the drain.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
The exit may be wishful thinking. I could see my wife re-breaking her leg dropping out of the existing exit window - it's a good 7 feet off the ground. I'd love to see the larger rear window used as a exit combined with the rear ladder.

If you can, check the bathroom sink to see if they fixed the standing water issue with the drain.
[Furiously writing this down]

Yeah, the emergency window is a bit awkward. I still haven't worked how I'd even begin to climb through it. I'm pretty sure the rear window will be leaving the coach in case of fire, one way or another
Old 07-15-2017, 05:52 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You will find the TV can be moved to better face the couch or the front seats. There is also a storage space for shoes under the top step. We didn't find out until after we picked up the coach.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:12 AM   #14

Thanks for the information and have made contact with Tom. Does anyone know what the wheel base is on the 3124 and 3401 for 2018. Can't seem to find it on the updated Newmar website? Same with the OOC? Any help would be appreciated

Daniel