Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2014, 04:41 PM   #1

Filters in Ceiling Vents?

While marveling at all of the vents on the ceiling, I noticed that some have foam looking filters in them that really need to be cleaned. The vent covers seem to be attached in the middle & rotate. The outside ring has small screws that attach it to the ceiling.

All we can find in the directions is that the filter needs to be cleaned and we've tried to pull one off but it didn't come easily so we didn't force it. So.. is there another filter that the directions are referring to or are the filters in the vents?

Do the vent covers pop off or do they have to be unscrewed to get the filters out or is there another way?

Thanks!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2014, 04:45 PM   #2

Your doing everything right. That's the only filter. You just have to be more forceful when pulling down the grill. Pull down and twist at the same time.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten-Red View Post
Your doing everything right. That's the only filter. You just have to be more forceful when pulling down the grill. Pull down and twist at the same time.
Thanks! That was easy enough and Babs has clean A/C filters now.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Now that you have found how easy that is the next thing you may want to look at is the AC's on the roof.
Found in QT's 1 & 2 cleaning the AC.
This and more is found in there like if you break a vent this link will have them to replace.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
You might also take one of your ceiling filters and go to a big box store like Lowes, Home Depot and look for ac filter material the same or close to the original thickness. We bought enough packages(2-3) at Home Depot and made (2) extra sets of filters by tracing one of the originals on a piece of thin cardboard. We then laid that template on the filter material we bought and cut around the cardboard template with scissors. We change/rotate ours about every (3) weeks or so and wash the dirty ones in the sink with dish soap and water. Making your own is a lot cheaper than buying online and allows you to give your rv that personal touch.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:12 PM   #6

Glad to have this info as I also wondered how to remove the filters for cleaning. This is another example of the lack of complete info in the Newmar owner manual.

Ken
Old 08-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
That's why you have us old timers around to steer you straight.
Just pull and twist and vent should pop out you can hold the ring to ceiling to make sure you do not pull whole unit out.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #8

We were told to make sure the filters are dry after removing and washing - thus the reason for an extra set of filters to rotate out. Replacing a filter that is not completely dry could damage the A/C unit.

SOLD 2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
msy4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
You might also take one of your ceiling filters and go to a big box store like Lowes, Home Depot and look for ac filter material the same or close to the original thickness. We bought enough packages(2-3) at Home Depot and made (2) extra sets of filters by tracing one of the originals on a piece of thin cardboard. We then laid that template on the filter material we bought and cut around the cardboard template with scissors. We change/rotate ours about every (3) weeks or so and wash the dirty ones in the sink with dish soap and water. Making your own is a lot cheaper than buying online and allows you to give your rv that personal touch.
Can you give me a rough idea of how thick the originals are? When we bought our unit last year it didn't have any filters in the return vents so I need to make some.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #10
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarwiebe View Post
Can you give me a rough idea of how thick the originals are? When we bought our unit last year it didn't have any filters in the return vents so I need to make some.

I think it was the 1/4 inch stuff from Home Depot. Will check the package tomorrow morning as I have to go to storage unit anyway and let you know.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-Kin...1524/202318549
Old 08-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #11
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
I think it was the 1/4 inch stuff from Home Depot. Will check the package tomorrow morning as I have to go to storage unit anyway and let you know.

Frost King 15 in. x 24 in. x 1/4 in. Foam Room A/C FPR 2 Air Filter-F1524 at The Home Depot
Went to the mh storage place and the size mentioned in my previous post for the Frost King Pkg(15inx24inx1/4in is correct. Natural Aire, Frost King or any other brand in that size should come (2) sheets to the package. We have (13) round return ceiling vents so we had more that enough to make (2) extra sets and change them every 3-4 weeks.
Flanders PrecisionAire Kwik Kut 15 in. x 24 in. x 1/4 in. Foam Air Filter-KK500 at The Home Depot
Old 08-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #12

I take the hand held vacume and clean mine. Then I don't have to wait for them to,dry.
Jus hang on to them tight!
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by msy4us View Post
We were told to make sure the filters are dry after removing and washing - thus the reason for an extra set of filters to rotate out. Replacing a filter that is not completely dry could damage the A/C unit.
Interesting, how would wet filters damage the a/c unit?
Old 08-07-2014, 10:20 PM   #14
BKR

Filters in Ceiling Vents?

You can order the filters from Newmar. We just purchased several for $1.00 each at the Escanaba rally.
BKR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, vent