Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2022, 10:41 AM   #1

Finding a Generac generator repair guy/facility

Hi, IRV2 folks,

I've got a 2003 Scottsdale with a Generac generator on it. Was working fine, now won't start even though it tries. I can't find someone who will diagnose and repair this for me. Went through all the names on the Generac Authorized Service dealers list for my area, none of these folks wants to deal with an RV generator.

Any tips on who to look for / how to ask for generator repair? I suspect it's a simple part failure (fuel pump, spark plug, etc.) but need someone willing to look at it.

Thanks,

John Chmaj
Sammamish WA (near Seattle)
johnchmaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2022, 07:36 PM   #2

What is the fuel source?

Perhaps an outdoor power equipment shop could help?

Mobile RV tech?
Old 10-04-2022, 12:37 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
I have found that some "small engine" repair places will work on them. Since it is the engine part that needs repaired, it shouldn't matter. See if you can find one in your area who is willing. I wouldn't limit my search to a Generac Authorized Service center.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 01:08 PM   #4

Before you send your genset into the shop to be repaired you can go through the basics yourself.

Start with fuel, is there enough fuel in the tank, I don't know if you are dealing with a motor home or TT installation, but, in a motor home installation the pickup tube ends about a quarter of a tank from the bottom of the tank. In other words if you have less than half a tank of fuel, go put gas in and see if the genny will run. this is one of the most common "cranks but won't start" causes I have seen for generators in RVs. The second thing you want to check is your oil level in the genny, most of them have a low oil switch that will shutdown the genny or keep it from starting when it runs low on oil. In my experience all gennys burn a little oil, so if you use it a lot, you may be low on oil. Third, check the air filter. It is usually fairly simple to check, it could be clogged, especially if you run the genny in dusty conditions. Rodents are also fond of nesting in the air intake tract.

After checking all three of those it is time to get into basic mechanical diagnostics. I could walk you through all the basics later if you can't find a shop to diagnose it. Fuel pumps are one of the most common failures, along with worn out or fouled spark plugs.

When it comes to a shop, have you tried the RV dealers around you? They have to deal with genny issues all the time.

Good luck, Dave
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 02:51 PM   #5

Thanks for the details - I can try some more RV dealers, no luck so far but I WILL eventually find someone.

Given the age of this coach I'd like someone to do a complete service on it, so I won't hack around myself. I watched one mobile tech do that who was here for something else, I don't want to start messing with this, rather see what someone experienced has to say. I'm sure someone will help me - eventually! My offseason is coming up so I'll have all winter to resolve it.

Thanks for the tips - my money's on the fuel pump personally, given it does try to start but won't run -

John
johnchmaj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, generac, generator, repair