RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-12-2020, 09:02 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Earl II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 236
Fire Suppression System

Proteng USA – Automatic fire suppression system


Anyone have any information and experience with this fire suppression system? They have started selling at our local private RV service center.
__________________

__________________
Bay Star 3124
SoCal
Earl II is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2020, 09:20 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jthigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 378
We got one installed last year at the RVillage rally in Florida. Different manufacturer I believe. Canít remember brand name. Had it installed behind our Norcold frig. Take 5 minutes to put it in. Did see some videos on it but thatís about it. Didnít want to try and put a canister style delivery system in. Space concerns. Figured itís better than nothing.
__________________

__________________
2002 American Eagle 40M
ISL400 / Spartan MM
2003 Jeep Liberty
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:35 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
ShelbyTom1's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: May 2019
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 125
We just had this installed in our new Dutch Star. We had a small system installed in our older coach behind the refrigerator. In the new coach we had the whole system put in protecting everything. Personally I think the technology is very good considering it relies on nothing else to trigger it
__________________
Tom & Nancy & Dandy the Wonder Dog
2020 Dutch Star 4081 Spartan Chassis towing a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport
2000 Mountain Aire given to the kids
ShelbyTom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:50 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyTom1 View Post
We just had this installed in our new Dutch Star. We had a small system installed in our older coach behind the refrigerator. In the new coach we had the whole system put in protecting everything. Personally I think the technology is very good considering it relies on nothing else to trigger it
Curious, when you say "whole system" what are you protecting? Fridge compartment, engine compartment, anything else?
Tjclarke696 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:20 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl II View Post
Proteng USA Ė Automatic fire suppression system


Anyone have any information and experience with this fire suppression system? They have started selling at our local private RV service center.
So, here's the problem with systems like Proteng when installed in an RV or MH.
Anytime you install fire protection equipment in your home, office, MH etc you want to make sure it has a UL and/or FM stamp of approval on it. Whats that mean? It means it's been subjected to full scale testing and has been proven to work for the applications it's being installed for.
I don't see any FM/UL approvals for Proteng.
The second problem with Proteng, it's a clean agent gas. FM200 to be exact. Clean agent gasses need to be applied in compartments that are somewhat, if not completely airtight. The back of the fridge and the engine compartment are not air tight especially when traveling down the freeway at 65.
The 3rd problem is for FM200 to be effective the fuel supply needs to be shut down. If you have a broken fuel line spraying diesel on a hot manifold or turbo even if you were lucky enough for the Proteng to work it would just reignite.
About the only plus to the Proteng as I see it is it has an alarm when it activates. You could accomplish the same thing rather inexpensively with some heat detectors and some sort of audible alarm inside the MH.
Better to have several properly sized and placed extinguishers and know how to use them.
By the way I spent 35 years installing, testing, servicing fire protection systems and I'm also a Firefighter.
Tjclarke696 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:50 AM   #6
Member
 
SPDmotorbabe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 43
I had the system installed at Plymouth Rally last year. It was a quick install and everything is out of the way and not even really noticeable. Even if it only gives me an extra little bit of time to get out of the coach in the middle of the night if it were ever needed, thats worth it to me. I also think a few well placed extinguishers and any other thing you can do to protect yourself/your family (without getting paranoid) is a good idea too.
__________________
Sherry (& my pound puppy Kala)
2018 Ventana 3436
2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
SPDmotorbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:02 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 311
Good thread from December about fire protection.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/rv-...on-472597.html
Tjclarke696 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:50 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
ShelbyTom1's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: May 2019
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjclarke696 View Post
Curious, when you say "whole system" what are you protecting? Fridge compartment, engine compartment, anything else?
I had the system but in the following areas:
Engine Battery, Engine Compartment, around the Automatic Transfer Switch, Oasis system, Inverter, Coach Battery compartment, Generator area, Dash and the AC Electrical compartment in the half bath.
__________________
Tom & Nancy & Dandy the Wonder Dog
2020 Dutch Star 4081 Spartan Chassis towing a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport
2000 Mountain Aire given to the kids
ShelbyTom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:19 PM   #9
Member
 
Rev. Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 90
Fire suppression

When I asked about this at my local dealership, the service manager said the best solution is prevention. He said the number one cause of fires on DPs is oil/grease build up on the engine. He said having the engine cleaned yearly and having hoses and other lines inspected every 3-4 months almost completely eliminates any risk of fire. He did say I could install temperature monitors around a few components saying they all will overheat prior to catching fire.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:20 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
When I asked about this at my local dealership, the service manager said the best solution is prevention. He said the number one cause of fires on DPs is oil/grease build up on the engine. He said having the engine cleaned yearly and having hoses and other lines inspected every 3-4 months almost completely eliminates any risk of fire. He did say I could install temperature monitors around a few components saying they all will overheat prior to catching fire.
Wow! You've got an honest service manager!
Tjclarke696 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:55 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
 
Dutch Star Don's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Moorpark, Ca.
Posts: 14,719
I'm going to disagree with what many have said. First off, there are many types of fires and in different critical locations. So a dirty engine has nothing to do with an electrical fire in an old Norcold. I'm not a nut about fire suppression, but I believe certain areas should be respected.

Fire protection has a LOT of elements to it. I bought a 3' Proteng unit for one spot in the motor home. I'm not a fan of where Newmar installed the Magnum Inerter/charger. They placed it between the frames rail at the top of the pass thru storage bay. A lot of heat in the bays and particularly around the Magnum. There had been some discussion about a couple of Magnums that overheated and caught fire. I coiled the Proteng and mounted it above the Magnum. Pretty much a sealed area. Will it put the fire completely out, maybe not, but if you've ever heard a Proteng go off, it sounds like a shotgun. Even if it doesn't extinguish the fire, it will give us an opportunity to exit the coach and possibly extinguish it. I also have a Perko swithc ready for installation to shut down the power to the Magnum (NealC idea)

I also installed a smoke detector in the storage bays to give us some advanced notice. If you look in the bay of a modern all electric RV, it looks like a sea of small lights/electronics.

As I said earlier, not every fire is a grease/engine oil fire. I keep my engine bay immaculate, but I also have a DEF system that can produce a lot of heat. For that reason, I installed a large automatic fire extinguisher on the ceiling of the engine compartment.

I have the cheesy little extinguisher at the front door and I keep a five pound unit just inside the main bay on the passenger side. This extinguisher is primarily there for something unrelated to my motor home, like a car fire or even a campfire that gets out of control.

Lastly, I have a large extinguisher in the bedroom. I bought it when I had my 2014 Dutch Star. It's in a mount in the dead area along the bed. It's original purpose was to extend the time it would take to exit the escape window. When we purchased our 2019, it came with the escape door in the bath, but I still reinstalled the extinguisher by the bed.

With all that said, I think there are different extinguishers and notification systems that need to be utilized throughout the coach. Poo pooing one type without knowing it's use is uninformed.
__________________
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:37 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 311
Poo pooing one type without knowing it's use is uninformed.[/QUOTE]

Not sure who's poo pooing anything here?
As far as being uninformed, I can assure you that's the furthest thing from the truth in my case.
While I'm certainly not an RV fire protection expert, I am an expert when it comes to the installation and inspection of fire protection equipment in commercial and residential environments.
35 years in the fire protection industry.
Volunteer Firefighter and Ex-Chief.
NJ licensed Fire Official and Fire Sub Code Official.
Principal member of 3 NFPA committees.
I'm the last person in the world who'll poo poo fire protection or fire safety as I've seen first hand on more occasions than I care to remember what fire can do to property and people!
These systems give people a false sense of security. In certain circumstances they "may" work.
If it's sized properly.
If the compartment it's in is somewhat air tight.
If the fuel supply is turned off or removed (electric shut down, propane shut off, diesel or gas shut off etc).
This last one is the biggest one! Unfortunately none of these systems are capable of shutting off the electric or fuel supply on their own.
Most places people are putting protection (behind the fridge, engine compartment) aren't air tight.
On the Proteng site they show a system installed in the engine compartment of a diesel pusher. No way in hell is that going to work traveling down the road at 65 with the engine running.
Speaking of engine compartments, I assume you have a foam system in your engine compartment?
How long do you think the foam blanket will stay in place before your able to safely pull to the shoulder and shut the vehicle off? That's assuming you get good initial coverage to begin with.
I also wonder how many people realize the Proteng systems need to be replaced every 4-5 years per their site.
Tjclarke696 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:11 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
 
Dutch Star Don's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Moorpark, Ca.
Posts: 14,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjclarke696 View Post
So, here's the problem with systems like Proteng when installed in an RV or MH.
Anytime you install fire protection equipment in your home, office, MH etc you want to make sure it has a UL and/or FM stamp of approval on it. Whats that mean? It means it's been subjected to full scale testing and has been proven to work for the applications it's being installed for.
I don't see any FM/UL approvals for Proteng.
The second problem with Proteng, it's a clean agent gas. FM200 to be exact. Clean agent gasses need to be applied in compartments that are somewhat, if not completely airtight. The back of the fridge and the engine compartment are not air tight especially when traveling down the freeway at 65.
The 3rd problem is for FM200 to be effective the fuel supply needs to be shut down. If you have a broken fuel line spraying diesel on a hot manifold or turbo even if you were lucky enough for the Proteng to work it would just reignite.
About the only plus to the Proteng as I see it is it has an alarm when it activates. You could accomplish the same thing rather inexpensively with some heat detectors and some sort of audible alarm inside the MH.
Better to have several properly sized and placed extinguishers and know how to use them.
By the way I spent 35 years installing, testing, servicing fire protection systems and I'm also a Firefighter.
I would say your very first statement was a poo pooing of a product.

I can list a bunch of stuff too, but it doesn't make me an expert unless I've actually tried it, like a Proteng system. I was a Deputy Sheriff for Los Angeles County for 34 years, with the last 16 years as an Arson Explosives Investigator. I also can name NFPA, National Fire Academy and all the other certifications.

I did over 3000 fire investigations in those 16 years. That still doesn't make me an expert on something new to the industry. Like I said, I bought/used the Proteng in a specific area, but wasn't convinced it would be of use in other areas.
__________________
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:32 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I would say your very first statement was a poo pooing of a product.

I can list a bunch of stuff too, but it doesn't make me an expert unless I've actually tried it, like a Proteng system. I was a Deputy Sheriff for Los Angeles County for 34 years, with the last 16 years as an Arson Explosives Investigator. I also can name NFPA, National Fire Academy and all the other certifications.

I did over 3000 fire investigations in those 16 years. That still doesn't make me an expert on something new to the industry. Like I said, I bought/used the Proteng in a specific area, but wasn't convinced it would be of use in other areas.
Proteng utilizes FM200 as it's extinguishing agent. IT IS NOT NEW to the market. It's been around for over 20 years. It replaced Halon as a clean agent gas when Halon was banned by the Montreal Protocol.
I installed dozens if not hundreds of FM200 systems in computer rooms and UPS rooms over those 20 plus years. While I wouldn't call myself an FM200 expert I do have extensive knowledge of how they work and how they should be installed.
You want to see a UL/FM seal on any fire protection equipment you install. Whether it's a fire sprinkler system in your sticks and bricks or a smoke detector in your RV. That UL/FM stamp tells you it was tested and proven to work for it's intended application.
Proteng has neither.
Have a good night.
__________________

Tjclarke696 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fire



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fire Suppression System Wanderer23 Class A Motorhome Discussions 67 03-16-2018 07:51 AM
Fire Suppression System Installation Kuppajoe Entegra Owner's Forum 17 12-13-2017 05:13 PM
Fire Suppression System judgebobk Newmar Owner's Forum 9 08-25-2017 02:33 PM
Fire Suppression System Michbill Monaco Owner's Forum 5 08-09-2015 03:29 PM
Halon Fire Suppression System sdennislee iRV2.com General Discussion 15 11-23-2011 05:39 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×