Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2016, 09:21 PM   #1

First day in new canyonstar and problems

Hi folks,
We picked up our new canyonstar today. So far we love it save for a fre issues. I'm hoping you experienced owners can help us out

First the driving compartment windows on both passenger and drivers side rattle squeak like crazy. Is this normal?

Second I can't seem to get any reception on the tv's. I have hooked up cable but the tv is not seeing it as a source. Nor is the antenna receiving any signal, although it was working fine during the walk through

Lastly when the auto level function is used, the coach gets racked such that the entry door will not close. I raised the legs individually until the door began to work properly. But now it's not level.

Thanks in advance for any help
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2016, 10:11 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello, congrats on the Canyon Star. As far as the TV goes, for over the air channels........there should be a white plate on the wall near rear of passenger seat. Not sure about the new coaches, but that's where it used to be. There's a little button on that plate that needs to be pushed in, a green LED should then be lit. This allows signal from your antenna to reach TV.

To receive your cable feed, you may have to switch that same button off. The rest would be in your TV settings to find the cable feed. Perhaps an auxiliary option on settings, or TV itself may still be set to antenna. Leave satellite dish switch off if you have a dish on coach. It may confuse what you're trying to do.

Hope this gets you started in right direction on one issue anyway.

P.S.- of course remember to do a scan for channels on your TV after checking the above.
Best regards,
W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:26 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
A couple of questions on the other issues......

When leveling, are you leveling the coach with the door open or closed?
Are you on relatively level ground to begin with?

On the windows....does it seem like there's a lot of "play" in the window track? Can you rattle the window with your hand?

Also check screws all around window frames inside for snug.

Regards,
W.D.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:27 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Hello, congrats on the Canyon Star. As far as the TV goes, for over the air channels........there should be a white plate on the wall near rear of passenger seat. Not sure about the new coaches, but that's where it used to be. There's a little button on that plate that needs to be pushed in, a green LED should then be lit. This allows signal from your antenna to reach TV.

To receive your cable feed, you may have to switch that same button off. The rest would be in your TV settings to find the cable feed. Perhaps an auxiliary option on settings, or TV itself may still be set to antenna. Leave satellite dish switch off if you have a dish on coach. It may confuse what you're trying to do.

Hope this gets you started in right direction on one issue anyway.

P.S.- of course remember to do a scan for channels on your TV after checking the above.
Best regards,
W.D.
If it is anything like our two Dutch Stars that switch turns on the antenna transformer to enhance the signal.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:36 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, correct. I found without that switch "on" there was no over the air TV. Same switch in my Ellipse too.

Regards,
W.D.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:28 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your jacks over extend to level the coach chassis frame will flex and bind the door.
Its best to level manually so both jacks front and back, same chassis rail rise the coach to level. When yellow light goes out raise the opposite rail till yellow or what ever color light goes out.
By lifting each rail the coach will not twist the chassis rails and possible pop a windshield.
If camp pad is un-level the first jack hitting the ground will wait for other jack to hit ground, than they will both raise together that one chassis rail.
Congrats and welcome to the Newmar family, safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:12 AM   #7

Thanks everyone
Antenna switch is on.
I will look and observe tge other suggestions
Old 06-03-2016, 04:52 AM   #8

On the levelors you may have to set or reset what the system thinks is level. There should be a procedure for this in your bag of many documents.

Are you sure you hooked the cable source to the cable in connection and not the cable/tv out? Do you have more than one TV and does the problem exist on all of them?

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
On the levelors you may have to set or reset what the system thinks is level. There should be a procedure for this in your bag of many documents.

Are you sure you hooked the cable source to the cable in connection and not the cable/tv out? Do you have more than one TV and does the problem exist on all of them?
Yes, it is hooked up to cable in, right next to the electric line
Old 06-03-2016, 06:48 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We have the squeaking drivers and passengers windows as well. On ours it's the window screen frame, we find if we push it tightly one way or the other it will stop for a while (usually the rest of the trip). We haven't tried lubricating the squeaky points but that is a possibility as well.

We also have the racking issue with leveling. It got worse when Newmar reinstalled the door after the new sidewalls were put on, the door would bind when leveling inside Newmars perfectly level service facility!

It was binding in the upper left corner (as you face the door from the outside). They ended up grinding both the door and doorframe corners so they would not bind. I ground them some more to keep it from binding on unlevel surfaces.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
We have the squeaking drivers and passengers windows as well. On ours it's the window screen frame, we find if we push it tightly one way or the other it will stop for a while (usually the rest of the trip). We haven't tried lubricating the squeaky points but that is a possibility as well.

We also have the racking issue with leveling. It got worse when Newmar reinstalled the door after the new sidewalls were put on, the door would bind when leveling inside Newmars perfectly level service facility!

It was binding in the upper left corner (as you face the door from the outside). They ended up grinding both the door and doorframe corners so they would not bind. I ground them some more to keep it from binding on unlevel surfaces.
That's exactly what happens to us.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:34 AM   #12

I have tv signal!
Old 06-03-2016, 09:47 AM   #13

We don't have the squeaking window issues, so that may be just a matter of adjustment or tightening screws. We do get some squeaking from the big slide, which sounds like it is coming from the front windows.

As to the TV connections, we had the same problem and I thought it wasn't hooked up right. To use the Antenna the switch on the booster(on the wall next to he front passenger seat) has to be in the on position, which should show a small green light. for the cable connection, push the button in and the light will go off. Then go to your TV settings and for whatever source you want do the Auto Scan, it will say it takes 55 minutes, but it is more like 5 minutes to do. You have to do this each time you move locations, and for each source you want to use in the appropriate switch position. You can then change back/forth just by switching the booster setting.

As to the levelers, our door never stuck when being leveled automatically but to me it always seemed to over adjust and then come back down to level. I do it manually now, I make sure all 4 jacks are touching the pads I put under them, and then bring up whichever end or side needs to be. It takes some fine adjusting to get it just right, but after you do it a few times it is really easy to do and doesn't rack the MH back/forth.

So you probably don't have any major issues to worry about it's more just getting used to how everything operates and the best way to use them. When we first got ours I checked every screw, nut & Bolt I could, as I found a few loose that helped tremendously with any squeaks and rattles. The table, microwave, and water heater all had some squeaks I was able to tighten up. Good Luck and have fun with it, the more you use it the more comfortable you will get with how it operates.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:29 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
If your jacks over extend to level the coach chassis frame will flex and bind the door.
Its best to level manually so both jacks front and back, same chassis rail rise the coach to level. When yellow light goes out raise the opposite rail till yellow or what ever color light goes out.
By lifting each rail the coach will not twist the chassis rails and possible pop a windshield.
If camp pad is un-level the first jack hitting the ground will wait for other jack to hit ground, than they will both raise together that one chassis rail.
Congrats and welcome to the Newmar family, safe travels.
On our 2015 CS the lights are always red and blink when jacks are in motion and all 4 blink when level. Not sure if this is normal, but that's how our system reacts.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems