Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2015, 09:14 AM   #1
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
First real boondocking in an all electric coach

We are at the NASCAR race this weekend doing our first real boondocking in the new 2015 all electric Ventana. Had a stay in a Walmart for a few hours three weeks ago but this is the first multi night stay without power.

We set up camp yesterday about 1:00pm. Watched qualifying on two TV's (outside and overhead). Then spent the evening watching satellite TV on the large televator with multiple lights on till midnight or so. Went to bed, charged iPhones and iPads. Obviously the residential refer was running all the time.

When we woke up this morning, the house batteries (8 six volt AGM's) we still at 12.5/.6 volts! 90% charge. All my fears of boondocking in an all electric coach have vanished.

Gonna run the generator a couple of hours this morning and try is all again today and see if we repeat this fantastic performance.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2015, 09:36 AM   #2

Nice, look forward to the full weekend review.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:02 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Sounds great! Can you recommend the best campground or grass field near Pocono for The race?
Old 06-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #4

Just to be safe you need to activate the auto gen start. The inverter places a .2 volt load on the batteries when running a light load (refer and minor stuff). A 50% discharge of the batteries is considered the max amount for optimal life. So 50% equals roughly a 12.1 volt reading minus the .2 inverter load results in a reading of 11.9 volts set point for activating the AGS.

I usually let the gen run for 2 1/2 to 3 hours when I enter the run hour setting.

Enjoy the race. Pretty cool having that type of set up for NASCAR events.
Bill-MACV21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:58 AM   #5

One additionI comment. My electric rig will run roughly + - 18hours with a light load then the gen fires up. In most cases I would expect that 24 hours would be near the max time frame before charging is required (I have new wet cell bats in my rig.).

On occasion (especially when starting the refer while the rig is in storage and it is a hot day) I will hook up a Honda 2000 generator to help save the bats. Then I have two options. Set the control panel for a 5 amp incoming supply and run the Honda at the low speed setting or set the incoming current for 10 amps and put a heavier load on the gen, burn the gas more quickly, provide more current which allow the charger/inverter to more rapidly charge the house and chassis bats.

Sometimes I throw on the Honda at 7 or 8 in the evening and let it run (5 amp setting) until dry which is 5-7 hours pending the current setting.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:02 PM   #6

I do a fair amount of dry camping and am always trying figure out ways to make it easier, trouble free and more enjoyable.

My electric rig has proven to me that boon docking with it is very worth while even though I initially had serious reservations.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nice experiment. I don't think you will have any problems with 8 AGM's. Post some pictures of your camp site at the race if possible.

We did fine with our All electric in Moab with only 6 wet cells. It really made me want to install some solar panels, but the reality is that 75% of my camping requires air conditioning. The Onan will be our most valuable equipment.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:15 PM   #8
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybdivin View Post
nice experiment. I don't think you will have any problems with 8 agm's. Post some pictures of your camp site at the race if possible.

We did fine with our all electric in moab with only 6 wet cells. It really made me want to install some solar panels, but the reality is that 75% of my camping requires air conditioning. The onan will be our most valuable equipment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1433621573.113890.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	96361

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1433621648.517933.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	96362

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1433621703.378038.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	96363

Old 06-06-2015, 02:16 PM   #9
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
First real boondocking in an all electric coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-MACV21 View Post
Just to be safe you need to activate the auto gen start. The inverter places a .2 volt load on the batteries when running a light load (refer and minor stuff). A 50% discharge of the batteries is considered the max amount for optimal life. So 50% equals roughly a 12.1 volt reading minus the .2 inverter load results in a reading of 11.9 volts set point for activating the AGS.

I usually let the gen run for 2 1/2 to 3 hours when I enter the run hour setting.

Enjoy the race. Pretty cool having that type of set up for NASCAR events.

Yep got the auto gen start set to 12.1 volts.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:26 PM   #10
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Steve View Post
Sounds great! Can you recommend the best campground or grass field near Pocono for The race?

We've always stayed right at the track. For the Indy car races we have a great trackside/fence line spot. NASCAR we do the infield. This is the first time we've been in the "Preferred Infield" area. It's a little calmer and fenced separately from the rest of the infield. This is where we'll do next year too.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:29 PM   #11

Nice set up! I'm glad to read about your experience with boondocking. We have an all electric Ventana too and will have several nights with no hookups when we make our trip later this summer.

If we have the auto start genny, I've not seen the control panel anywhere so I don't think we do. We had just planned to run it a couple of hours during the designated genny time.

Have fun at the race!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:46 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We dry camp at Yosemite every year during Thanksgiving. This last November was the first time with the new coach. At the time, we still had the propane cooktop, but rarely used it. We ran the Oasis system all night, watched TV and so on without an issue. We have only 6 batts, but I fire the generator up in the morning for 2 hours and again at dinner time for one hour. Everything fully charges with those two generator sessions.

My Monaco with a residential refer use to take the full two hours in the morning to get back to Float Charge. The Dutch Star seems to get back to Float Charge in 1.5 hours. I do have 300 watts of solar, but a Yosemite, they're not getting full sun.

Side Note: I removed the propane cooktop and I'm now all electric. I bought a small portable single burner propane cooktop in a case. I figure if we're in really cold weather and just want to heat hot water or coffee, I'll use the single burner on the counter top.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:48 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
That is very cool that you are set up there. Also sounds like the battery bank are doing thier job. The site set up looks great also. I`ll be watching the race on the ol tv.
Good Luck & Have Fun
JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:49 PM   #14
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
Nice set up! I'm glad to read about your experience with boondocking. We have an all electric Ventana too and will have several nights with no hookups when we make our trip later this summer.

If we have the auto start genny, I've not seen the control panel anywhere so I don't think we do. We had just planned to run it a couple of hours during the designated genny time.

Have fun at the race!
We have both the AGS (Auto Generator Start) and the EMS (energy management system) options.

The AGS Settings are on the Magnum panel.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1433623646.585165.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	96365

Tags
boondocking