Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2016, 11:41 AM   #43

Hydronic heat system in Ventana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Newmar uses (or did) use both propane and diesel for the hydronic units depending on the model line. Don't the Oasis units come in both propane or diesel?
According to 2016 Newmar order forms for Ventana models, "Hydronic zoned diesel heat with continuous hot water". As I remember, Entegra lines use both LP and diesel Aqua Hot systems depending on model.
Dizzee2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2016, 11:54 AM   #44

Aqua Hot brand name has both. The Oasis brand name is only diesel but has been reported to burn cleaner by people who own them. The Oasis web page refers to very clean burning...
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:29 PM   #45

'Meh, more stuff to break.
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:37 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I wanted to make sure all owners and potential owners are acutely aware of the steer axle weight issues. Here is my weigh sheet from today and pictures of gauges for tank levels.

This is with nothing in the refrigerator, no food in the pantry and all clothes off of the coach. I was the only occupant and I weigh in at 300 lbs. The trailer axle is my Jeep Grand Cherokee being towed four wheels down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2198.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	125204   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2199.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	343.9 KB
ID:	125205  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2200.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	125206  
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:42 PM   #47

With that floor plan I would think that a fairly high percentage of fridge, pantry, and clothing would end up on that rear axle. It looks like you have about 400lbs left on the front with a full fuel tank and a fair bit of water.

How much more on the front do you recon that you would need?

John
Old 04-25-2016, 04:40 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If I load my wife, daughter and son for our trip to Yellowstone in June, I will be overweight before I put any food or clothes on. I think it is 1,000 lbs shy. Tires and new rims can handle weight, but axle and airbags are underrated.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-25-2016, 05:34 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by unw1red View Post
I wanted to make sure all owners and potential owners are acutely aware of the steer axle weight issues. Here is my weigh sheet from today and pictures of gauges for tank levels.

This is with nothing in the refrigerator, no food in the pantry and all clothes off of the coach. I was the only occupant and I weigh in at 300 lbs. The trailer axle is my Jeep Grand Cherokee being towed four wheels down.
wow, so the coach is listed on Newmar site as having approximately 7200lbs NCC...12400 front and 24k rear axle...and you will be over the front axle basically as soon as you load the family up for a trip?? For some reason I thought Newmar might be above these kinds of things, but apparently not...7200 NCC according to them, but front axle is over right off the bat?!?! Man, I am sorry to see that...I was leaning more towards the 40ft LE's because I thought I would be getting a lot more capacity. I know how weight adds up as I need to keep a close eye on my Toy Hauler as it is very easy to have 1500lbs of "gear and food, etc" with no little water and empty holding tanks...so much for not worrying about that on a Class A DP (at least in my price range apparently).

Is there anything Newmar can do for you, or are you going to ask about it?
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:53 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have asked what it would take to get another 600-1000lbs of capacity on the front axle (tires, axle upgrade, brakes, air bags, etc) and customer service responded that they can't do anything. I responded and said this wasn't true because the Dutch Stars are being upgraded for the same reason.

I gave Newmar a deadline and told them I would turn it over to my lawyer if they didn't provide a plan for resolution.

I'm not an unreasonable guy. I offered to meet them halfway on the cost and they still said nothing. I love the coach, but the implied capacities are not attainable and they knew this before the first LE rolled out the door.

It is an implied specification when they list the tank sizes and available weight capacities. Nowhere in their marketing materials or manuals do they state you can't use your coach to its "as built" capacity. If I can't have 105 gallons of fresh water on the coach, why does it have a 105 gallon tank?

There are only two storage compartments behind the drive axle, therefore weight distribution is not the answer.

I entered into a sales contract with my dealer and Newmar based on the specifications they set forth in their marketing materials. Nowhere are the coach does it state that the tank capacity and overall weights cannot and should not be attempted.

The Dutch Star issue has already set precedent that they have engineering issues and know that it is their fault.

I gave them until the close of business tomorrow to respond to me. I have been asking about this issue since January and it has not been important enough to give me updates or assurances that they have to fix this issue.

I leave on a trip with me, my wife, son, daughter and two dogs in May. At this point, due to their engineering guffaws, I can only make that trip by myself and my family must follow me in our Jeep.

That doesn't seem like what a quarter-million dollars should get you.

I am not alone on this issue. I have acquaintances that are overweight without anyone in the coach.

I will keep the thread updated.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-25-2016, 06:08 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by unw1red View Post
I have asked what it would take to get another 600-1000lbs of capacity on the front axle (tires, axle upgrade, brakes, air bags, etc) and customer service responded that they can't do anything. I responded and said this wasn't true because the Dutch Stars are being upgraded for the same reason.

I gave Newmar a deadline and told them I would turn it over to my lawyer if they didn't provide a plan for resolution.

I'm not an unreasonable guy. I offered to meet them halfway on the cost and they still said nothing. I love the coach, but the implied capacities are not attainable and they knew this before the first LE rolled out the door.

It is an implied specification when they list the tank sizes and available weight capacities. Nowhere in their marketing materials or manuals do they state you can't use your coach to its "as built" capacity. If I can't have 105 gallons of fresh water on the coach, why does it have a 105 gallon tank?

There are only two storage compartments behind the drive axle, therefore weight distribution is not the answer.

I entered into a sales contract with my dealer and Newmar based on the specifications they set forth in their marketing materials. Nowhere are the coach does it state that the tank capacity and overall weights cannot and should not be attempted.

The Dutch Star issue has already set precedent that they have engineering issues and know that it is their fault.

I gave them until the close of business tomorrow to respond to me. I have been asking about this issue since January and it has not been important enough to give me updates or assurances that they have to fix this issue.

I leave on a trip with me, my wife, son, daughter and two dogs in May. At this point, due to their engineering guffaws, I can only make that trip by myself and my family must follow me in our Jeep.

That doesn't seem like what a quarter-million dollars should get you.

I am not alone on this issue. I have acquaintances that are overweight without anyone in the coach.

I will keep the thread updated.

Yikes. Sounds like you are doing what you can to get help from them. I would be just as upset as you are. I agree...why have 105g water tank if you can't fill it up without going over. And I agree that according to the specs on their website, one would conclude that with that much stated ncc, this shouldn't be an issue at all...hard to believe the front axle is at max and the rear has thousands in capacity left. Best of luck reaching a resolution and please keep us updated on the resolution
Old 04-25-2016, 06:22 PM   #52

I think you have miscalculated your weights. Newmar list weights as:
Steer: 12,400 Your weight 12,040 (360 available)
Drive: 24,000 19,640 (4360 available)
GVW 36,400 31,680 (4720 available)
GCVW 41,400 Tow Veh 4820 ( 180 available for tow)

I agree that some of your passengers might need to sit at rear of salon. I think you will be OK weight wise with over 4,000 lbs for food, family and supplies.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:26 PM   #53

I don't know about buying a 250k coach and tell the wife and kids to sit in the back as close as they can to the rear wheels so the front axle isn't over? If it were me, no way that would happen. Also if only two storage compartments are behind the axle, then anything loaded into the storage compartments is going to count something towards the front axle weight (varying degrees of this obliviously). Heaven forbid he boondocks and has a good amount in the tanks...all of which would put some weight on the front axle, no? I don't know where the tanks r located, but they surely are not behind the rear axle I wouldn't think?
Old 04-25-2016, 06:27 PM   #54

This doesn't sound like a good deal at all and has likely steered me completely away from an LE...then again if DS's r having these same issues, maybe the ventana is also? Troubling for sure
Old 04-25-2016, 06:40 PM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First time buyer considering Newmar Ventana LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTrvlr View Post
I think you have miscalculated your weights. Newmar list weights as:

Steer: 12,400 Your weight 12,040 (360 available)

Drive: 24,000 19,640 (4360 available)

GVW 36,400 31,680 (4720 available)

GCVW 41,400 Tow Veh 4820 ( 180 available for tow)

I agree that some of your passengers might need to sit at rear of salon. I think you will be OK weight wise with over 4,000 lbs for food, family and supplies.

Seat belts. Those are necessities and are located in front of rear axle. Based on your observation, how do I not get another 400 lbs on my front axle. I'm interested to know. Anything NOT behind the rear axle has some percentage of weight on the steer axle. All tanks, except for DEF, are in front of rear axle.

The purpose of the purchase was to dry camp at softball fields where my daughter is playing. Show me how I do that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-25-2016, 07:36 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
.. I agree...why have 105g water tank if you can't fill it up without going over.
Strictly speaking you can fill it up without going over. You can put 105 gallons of water on it with less fuel and be under. There is the requirement to manage a coach like someone should manage fuel / persons / bed loading in a pickup truck. But for some reason people dont think about that either. But then I don't ever hear people complain about that either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
This doesn't sound like a good deal at all and has likely steered me completely away from an LE...then again if DS's r having these same issues, maybe the ventana is also? Troubling for sure
I wouldn't throw out the baby with the bathwater. I have a 40' LE that has 800lbs left on the front axle with full fuel, mostly full water, mostly full gray tanks, 2 people, and some food / clothes / stuff. And it weighs less overall than unw1red's coach. I know Sam's (Switt) is a 40' that is fine on weight (Ive seen his basement, its full).

What I find intriguing is the dichotomy between the floor plans. I hadn't thought that a FWS would make that much of a difference. Though it did sound like unw1red added a few things after he purchased. That might be adding some skew as well. I know I specifically asked Newmar to add a slide out tray to one of my basement compartments as a special when I ordered and they refused to due to weight concerns.

John

Tags
3710, canyon star, csca, newmar, ventana, vldp, vtdp