RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2016, 04:41 PM   #1

First time buyer considering Newmar Ventana LE

Howdy,

You can find me in new member and other posts, so I won't bore you with news other than to say that I've been researching our family's first RV (we call it our 2nd home) for over 9 months and have been to 3 RV shows this year already. What started with a Super C and a Gasser A has now focused on a DP. (Wife and I have recently been enamored with FW Expedition/Discovery, fwiw.) We have no trade-in or previous RV experience other than 1 rental (which sold us on this whole lifestyle).

To keep my post targeted to this audience, let's say that I have, up to now, not seriously considered a Newmar DP since I figured it would be way out of our budget for a new model. I have recently discovered it may be possible to get a Newmar Ventana LE (Our favorite floor plans are 4002 and 4037) with a few options in our price range (if we get a decent discount off MSRP). It is quite a stretch to consider an Ventana unless it was "bone" stock (no options). These appear to be REALLY NICE coaches (I'm salivating...).

I found the retail option price list from a sticky post, and I have the brochures, but I haven't found much info about specifics for each of the options.

My questions to you all -

1) What's your opinion on the Ventana LE vs. the Ventana model? I the LE model too "base" to consider or are there some options you would consider "must have" to make it livable?

2) Do you know where I can find more info about the options? Has anyone written a detailed review of the V-LE? I'm watching all the videos I can find on youtube.

3) Is the bone-stock Ventana worth considering? Would I be OK without (insert option here - like "slide locks????")

4) If you have one of these models/plans, what are your loves and hates about it? It would be for family reunions and outings with my wife, 10 yr old son and 2 small dogs.

5) Any chance they might make 3710 (as for Canyon Star) avail on Ventana LE in 2017?

Links to threads and PMs also welcome. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Excited at the possibilities....
Daryl in Woodstock (GA, not the "famous" one)

DarylW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2016, 05:08 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First time buyer considering Newmar Ventana LE

I bought my 2016 off of the lot. It is a 4002. I tow a Grand Cherokee without issue, so that is one check mark. It has a residential refrigerator which added house batteries (6 in total) and a 2000W pure sine wave inverter. A have macerator toilets and otherwise stock.

I am very happy with it. I added a washer/dryer and a central vacuum. I also added a tray in the middle basement compartment. We got it last October and as I sit in it with almost 13,000 miles, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

It doesn't have tile floors and it isn't all-electric. It doesn't have power electric and water reels or keyless entry, but it does have a great ride and all the room my family needs to be comfortable.

Would it be nice to have a Ventana or Dutch Star, absolutely, but not having the additional outlay of cash makes my LE seem even better.

As always, your mileage may vary.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:17 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nothing wrong with a LE if you remember that it doesn't have a very large engine so towing capacity could be limited as well as CCC.
We've had two Dutch Stars that we factory ordered. None of them were fully optioned out either and they were very good rigs. Almost wish we hadn't traded the '02 off on the Magna as the DSDP was the most trouble free rig we've ever owned.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:01 PM   #4

Hi, DarylW!

We have a Ventana LE 4002 on order and are heading out to Newmar on Sunday to see it built starting the 28-May 4. Excited!!! We had a 2000 Dutch Star and loved it!!! That is why we returned to Newmar.

The Ventana has more glitz. It can carry more, but I felt the LE was better on the road when driving. The Ventana has a tighter turning radius because of the tag. There are other things like the hydraulic leveling system, but, it also was $60,000.00 more. We did some customizing such as putting a Ventana interior in ours, paint colors we wanted and other things. Newmar allows that.

There are links that will get you to their build sheets which will tell you what options are available. I don't have it, but I am sure someone on the irv2 site will be able to supply that for you. Also, if you download the brochure from Newmar 's site, it will give you the options.

I love seeing families RVing! It is a great family activity!

Feel free to PM me, too. I would be glad to answer any questions I can.

Good luck and keep us posted on your search.
Candy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:31 PM   #5

I am a complete RV newbie as well. After considerable research, I'm looking seriously at buying a used (8000 miles) 2015 Ventana LE 3812 or a new 3709, but I'm wondering if, given their weight, they will be underpowered climbing the mountain passes we have out West. Its just two of us and we won't be loading the RV the hilt but will dolly tow a VW Jetta Sportwagon. Would appreciate any experiences existing or former Ventana LE owners might offer.
aikihito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:42 PM   #6

I'm looking at the ventana le also and once u get to the 4002, 4037 etc, you get more hp, but more importantly the Allison 3000 tranny with a 10k tow rating and overall higher carrying capacity than the 37ft models.

Seems the ventanas are about 100k more list than the le...can get tag axle and tile, but I honestly don't see where the rest of the price increase comes from?? Regarding the leveling, the le's don't have hydraulic leveling??? I would of thought it would be full hydraulic? (My Fuzion th is full hydraulic...)
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:45 PM   #7

Gtsum2, I think the name of the leveling system company starts with an e. Maybe executive??? Can't remember. Maybe someone who owns an LE can tell us.
Candy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:06 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is my 4002

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:17 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Our 2014 LE has the Equalizer Leveler system.
It's electric over hydraulic and operates fine.

We looked at multiple gas coaches ,including the Outlaw.
We had a 85 Southwind years ago which served us well but I remember the engine noise being a bit loud up front.
So we starting looking at DP's.

After a year or two of looking at multiple brands of coaches we settled on a Newmar mainly because of the build quality and reputation.

Its only the two of us and we felt a 36 footer was more than enough space plus the cost was very reasonable.

If we had it to do over we would more than likely go the same route.

The only pain in the butt is that the DEF fill is on the passenger side but it's a minor one compared to how nice the coach is to drive and live in!
(The new models have the fill on the driver's side but that would be an expensive trade up just for that convenience).

Bob
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:21 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Daryl

While I have a Dutch Star and not a Ventana I can make some observations. Ventana is made on the same assembly line so the builders are very good at what they do. Meticulous craftsmanship, and quality parts make it comparable. Yes there are some differences, such as engine size. But if you feel comfortable in the floor plan you are going to love this coach

Good luck on your decision. Let us know what you decide. Happy Trails!!
Old 04-20-2016, 08:29 PM   #11

Thanks for the info on the leveling systems. I wasn't aware of the differences
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:35 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I do not believe the le comes with slide toppers.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:08 PM   #13
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Boy, what a great forum This place highlights how little most salesmen know.

To the OP: Make sure you know each nuiance between the LE and Ventana. I learn something on this forum every time the discussion on differences comes up.

For reference, I am picking up a Ventana 3725 in June. Not sure if this was an unpopular model as it is only built one year, or if Newmar just got an itch to build something else. I would not buy it's replacement floorplan but that's just me.

I drove an LE 3709 and thought it was a little underpowered. I'm new to DPs so don't take this as an experienced assessment. Drove a winnabago 37' with a 360hp motor and there was a significant increase in power. Hope that translates to the Ventana.

Why I'm buying a ventana instead of the same model in an LE? It's alot of little things that add up and the biggest thing the upgraded chassis. Look at a comparison between ventana and LE on GVWR and CGVWR. The LE is just enough to make the rig safe, the Ventana has lots of margin. I'm real anal about having extra carrying margin. The added towing margin, upgraded interior, and now the HWH levelers (didn't know that before this post) are some of the little things I like. Is it worth the price increase, only you can decide. Just be away, you may be able to upgrade the interior/exterior, but you can not upgrade the whole chassis.

All this being said, I think if you are going with the 40' and up, the differences start to blur a bit. We wanted an under 40' non tag, to some extent because of price.

If you can find a salesman the knows the difference between a bicycle and a motorhome, first thank your lucky stars, then pick every bit of knowledge out of them. Just to quantify my statement, my local salesman did not know how to turn the windshield wipers on (no really we almost did not take the test drive because of). I can sight a dozen snafus from this salesman, but I don't think anyone would believe without being there. My wife is a witness, but I think she is still in shock over it.

Ask lots of questions on this forum. They are a great group of folks with some priceless info.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:34 PM   #14

My 2014 3847 LE has toppers on the FWS and the bedroom slide, but not on the kitchen slide.

capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3710, canyon star, csca, newmar, ventana, vldp, vtdp