Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2021, 10:02 AM   #1

First Time in Storage?

I put our motorhome in storage for the first time since we bought it. I made sure to turn off the disconnect switch, but I have two questions. Please let me know what else I need to do.

1) Should I turn off the propane?

2) How do I get the steps to retract?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2021, 10:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I put our motorhome in storage for the first time since we bought it. I made sure to turn off the disconnect switch, but I have two questions. Please let me know what else I need to do.

1) Should I turn off the propane?

2) How do I get the steps to retract?

I always shut the propane off when storing my MH.
If you turn the disconnect switch on with the door shut will the steps retract? If so, leave the door shut then shut the switch off, open the door and step down. Be careful. It's a ways down with no step(s).
Old 04-29-2021, 10:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I always shut the propane off when storing my MH.
If you turn the disconnect switch on with the door shut will the steps retract? If so, leave the door shut then shut the switch off, open the door and step down. Be careful. It's a ways down with no step(s).

I cranked the MH and closed the door and the steps retracted. I then turned the disconnect off and turned off the engine. The steps still came out when I opened the door. On my previous Tiffin the steps would come in when I turned the switch off. I am thinking there is an step switch somewhere.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:41 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Ours has a switch in the cabinet above the drivers seat to turn off the step to keep it retracted when the engine is off.
M&G Braking-Roadmaster Towbar
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:17 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrooking View Post
Ours has a switch in the cabinet above the drivers seat to turn off the step to keep it retracted when the engine is off.
Same with mine. In the winter when I cover the mh, I flip the switch and the steps only come out when the door opens and retract when the door closes.....keeps them cleaner and outta the way for the winter.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks - I did not think about looking there.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:17 PM   #7

On my 2019, even with the salesman switch and the step switch in the overhead off, the steps still extend when you open the door. They are tied to the chassis battery, and it is a safety feature. You should be able to turn the salesman switch off, leave the step switch on, and the steps.will retract when you close the door.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:20 PM   #8

Yes, turn off propane. No reason to leave it on and if for any reason a fire, better OFF.

Also, when storing a diesel, add a BIOCIDE such as Biobar JF and fill the fuel tank full to minimize condensation. Ya, plus diesel prices look like they are rising.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:00 PM   #9

When you say " put it in storage" is it inside / under covet or outside?
I store under roof and usually leave steps out as its less hassle getting in /out that way and there is plenty of room between units where I store.
If outside that would be different and I'd retract them as others stated.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:12 PM   #10

Even if you turn off the salesman switch there will still be parasitic drains on the house batteries from things like the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, the radio, etc. So if you are going to store it for more than a couple of weeks you should either have it plugged into power or disconnect the house batteries completely.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:18 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Reubanray (and fellow Ventana LE 4037 owner) -

When traveling and when in storage I always close the valve on the propane tank to minimize the possibility of a propane leak / fire. The only time the valve should be open is while enjoying your coach at an RV resort/park.

I store my coach at a large RV & boat storage facility in covered, 50 foot long spot and "plug-in" to the 110 volt outlet (which every spot has) to provide a trickle charge to the house and chassis batteries. I'd recommend you keep your coach connected to power if possible and do not disconnect the house batteries. In the control panel above your inside entry steps you should have a red light next to the battery disconnect switch. The glowing red light means the house batteries are connected. If the red light is not glowing, the batteries are disconnected.

I keep my steps "retracted" while in storage to not hinder a 45 foot Tiffin that is in the spot next to mine. To "retract" the outside steps and keep them retracted, in the control panel above your entry steps, turn the "steps" switch to the "off" position.

I hope you and your family are enjoying your 4037 as much a I and my family do. It's a great floorplan and a great coach!
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:32 PM   #12
Community Moderator

I agree with the others.....find a way to plug it in or you will find your batteries dead in a week.

Or take the positive leads off the house batteries. With Magnum inverters, removing the negative first will potentially cause damage.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Mine does too. I forgot all about that. I haven't seen my MH since mid October. Time for a refresher course.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:07 PM   #14

I found the switch and the steps retract when I closed the door. I also turned off the propane tank. The MH is under a roof, but it is not connected to power. I already plan on going out there every few weeks or so to check on it and run the generator. Every once in a while I will take it out for an extended ride. There are limited spots with power available and I am on a waiting list.

Tags
storage