RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2015, 05:08 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
First trip then power issue, newbie

Help with new owner. Electical problem. I just got a 2003 Newmar Mountain Aire. 38 ft. gas. Chevy engine. Love it so far. Purchased 5 weeks ago and spent 3 weeks in backyard learning unit. Used generator 2 weeks with no problem. Kept it connected to normal 110 between times to keep batteries charged. 3rd weekend had 50 amp connection put in so we hooked to this and it was wonderful and quiet without generator. All working well. Gassed up and went to mountains this weekend with no issues. Had 50 amp hook up, no generator needed. Took all apart to leave today and no issues. Going down the road my wife went to restroom and no water pump. I had her try other switch and control panel over door is out. No inside power at all. Lights, pumps fridge all is out. Stopped and could not find anyting out of ordinary. Checked battery disconnect switch on panel over door and nothing. Still no lights. Cut on generator and in about 15 seconds power back on. Ran it awhile and cut it off and all went dead again. Went on home and hooked to shore power and it all worked again. Nothing was on including steps to get out door. If I ran generaror or hooked to shore it was fine but once I cut on engine only it all died. No issues running motor home or dash or generator, only cabin power. Help before I go broke as a shop please. I am not an electrician but somewhat handy so make your help simple please. Thanks for any help guys. Excited about first trip though it was great.

revrick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2015, 05:23 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like your house batteries are bad, all the things you described need 12 volts to work. Double check all connections including grounds and water level in batteries. After that if they go dead after disconnecting power, remove the batteries and have them load tested.

2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:34 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is your inverter turned on? Shore power and generator don't need it to be on, running off batteries does.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:16 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
power issue

Both batteries are only about 1 year old. When you say is the inverter on, help me, I am new to this. For weeks it has been okay then today it quit. Can I check to see if something came loose. Where would inverter be. Again I am learning all of this. I am fairly familiar with auto 12 volt system and 110 house current but this is all new to me for inverter and converters. Thanks
Old 11-29-2015, 06:21 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First trip then power issue, newbie

In your control panel (where your water heater, awning switches and power monitor), is the inverter light on?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448846486.010907.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	113010

Mine is on the Magnum panel.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-29-2015, 06:28 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
My panel is not quite like this. A mountain aire. I don't have photo now. It has my lights for monitor of system batteries, water levels etc, water heater, switches, ect. Then it has a bettery disconnect switch that shows store or use. I have tried to switch this but it doenst do anything. When all of my power goes out this panel is also dead. When I connect to shore or generator this panel lights up as it should. I tried to use the switch on shore power or on generator and it doesn't change anything.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:29 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Added to above response I don't see an inverter light on the panel
Old 11-29-2015, 06:37 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe the breaker has tripped on the inverter itself. I can't help you with location, but I would call Newmar and ask for the location. There should be a reset button or fuse. This is what your symptoms sound like to me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-29-2015, 06:40 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Thanks, I will try and trace this down or call them tomorrow.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:55 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Converter converts 110 AC to 12 Volt DC and charges your batteries.
Inverter inverts 12 Volt DC to 110 AC.

When you try to operate 12 Volt lights and "appliances" (like the water pump) without shore power or generator power nothing works?

When you have shore power of generator power the 12 Volt "things" work? The converter is supplying 12 volts while you have 110 to the RV.

Either you have dead house batteries or the converter isn't charging the batteries.

Sure sounds like a converter problem to me. This is the way I understand things work, others may disagree.

On edit, you may have a converter and a inverter or an all in one unit. You may also not have an inverter at all.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:55 PM   #11

Your inverter is most likely in one of the front storage bays and the breaker should be on the inverter or small box next to it. If you use an appliance that draws too much power in one inverter supplied sockets, it will cause the breaker to trip. Also check all your battery connections and make sure nothing is lose, it only takes a little vibration to work the connections loose if they are not tight.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Inverter does not power 12 volt items like the pump. Inverter is not the issue. Converter is powering up 12 volt system when you plug on or run generator. Get a multimeter and check battery voltage when plugged in and the unplug system and check batteries when system shuts down.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:03 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Thanks for all of the advice. Checked battery power this am and 12.8 on both batteries connected to shore power as well as the same volt disconnected. Puzzled me then so I slid out my batteries and just started looking, did not see any loose connections then I noticed a large red cable laying down behind battery box. Pulled it up and it had corroded off the positive post in the back battery. Checked post and sure enough the end was still under the nut but not visible from front. Now that has to be my issue. Hopefully just get a new end put on this cable and reconnect to batteries and start it all up. You guys are great help. Thanks Rick

Tags
newbie, power