Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2019, 05:40 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Five Star Tune - All the time or Some Time?

Hi - I have the Five Star Tune in my Canyon Star. I installed it before I pulled a load with it so I don't know if it is better or not, I just assume it is. When I am pulling a load in Tow/Haul mode it shifts like I did when I drove a truck with a manual transmission back in the Dark Ages.

Do you drive with Five Star Tune Tow/Haul on all the time or only when you have a load behind you?

Thanks
ericllucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2019, 09:11 PM   #2

Just got back from our first long trip in our 2013 CS 3856 with the 5 star tune. Loved the way it takes hills up or down and it was in T H mode all the time.
Only thing I didn't like was 6.2 mpg. Yuck!!!
Old 10-24-2019, 05:06 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericllucas View Post
Hi - I have the Five Star Tune in my Canyon Star. I installed it before I pulled a load with it so I don't know if it is better or not, I just assume it is. When I am pulling a load in Tow/Haul mode it shifts like I did when I drove a truck with a manual transmission back in the Dark Ages.

Do you drive with Five Star Tune Tow/Haul on all the time or only when you have a load behind you?

Thanks
I have the Five Star Tune on a 2014 CSCA and NEVER use Tow/Haul unless I'm descending a long grade and I'm always towing our 3K lb. Kia. Have never needed Tow/Haul going up.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:33 AM   #4

I use tow haul mode all the time as I like the downshifting which saves on the brakes and can also provide a quicker stop when needed.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericllucas View Post

Thanks
Back in the day, you never wanted to ride the clutch, right ?

Auto transmissions are full of clutch packs. Every shift ingagues one clutch while disingaging another.

In normal operation, they time them for a nice smooth shift, slipping one out and one in.

In Tow/Haul, they quicken the shifts, causing less slipping and wear, with a firmer shift.

Less " Riding the Clutch ".
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote