Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #1

Fiver doesn't allow good wifi signal?

We have a 2004 MountainAire Fiver 38 ft long. In the RV park where we're staying for a while, they have a wifi system that we can't connect to with our 2 year old MacBook Pro inside the trailer. It's not a problem with the computer since outside it does fine.

The owner told me that the problem lies in the trailer itself; something in the construction of it or the electrical components does not allow the wifi signal to get through. She says that there are a number of RVs with the same problem, and that no one who has been on our space has had trouble in spite of electrical wires being overhead. I can get a minimal signal on my iMac that sits directly under the outside electrical wire and it sits right beside the tv set and dish receiver.

Is the problem in the trailer itself? We've just started out living fulltime in it and hate to think that we have bad internet service due to the trailer itself.

Any suggestions much appreciated.
Lorraine
sky_watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_watcher View Post
We have a 2004 MountainAire Fiver 38 ft long. In the RV park where we're staying for a while, they have a wifi system that we can't connect to with our 2 year old MacBook Pro inside the trailer. It's not a problem with the computer since outside it does fine.

The owner told me that the problem lies in the trailer itself; something in the construction of it or the electrical components does not allow the wifi signal to get through. She says that there are a number of RVs with the same problem, and that no one who has been on our space has had trouble in spite of electrical wires being overhead. I can get a minimal signal on my iMac that sits directly under the outside electrical wire and it sits right beside the tv set and dish receiver.

Is the problem in the trailer itself? We've just started out living fulltime in it and hate to think that we have bad internet service due to the trailer itself.

Any suggestions much appreciated.
Lorraine
I'm just about to enter the wifi world. I'm told that poor reception is generally the cg location of their antenna or your location to it. Most times , you have to be really close. I just ordered a Super USB WIFI Antenna from
C. Crane Company - Super USB WiFi Antenna II - Toll Free (800) 522-8863

I hoping it will do the trick.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to deadeye916
Wifi is a line-of-sight type signal meaning anything between the 2 antenna's could cause a problem. How far is your rig from the CG antenna?

I carry one of these:

hField Technologies, Inc. » The Wi-Fire

As long as the CG has decent wifi...some CG's have nothing more than a wifi enabled router in the office and expect it to cover an entire CG.

FWIW, we also use an aircard. If internet is important to you I recommend you have a backup plan, ie. an aircard. Not all CG's have wifi, or they use a service like Tengo that charge you for access.
deadeye916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Its not just your 5th, motor homes will have same problem also. Metal studding in walls and wiring can add to problem.
If your parked under CG's antenna you wouldn't have a problem but when your some distance from it you may have to move lap top to near the windshield or other hot spot within RV to get connected and stay connected without drop offs.
The additional window antennas will help and make life easier.
I have been in CG's with antennas all over the place and still had drop offs from restrictions placed on the Wi-Fi system.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
sky watcher - I utilize the same signal booster that clifftall recommended earlier and have found it greatly improves weak wi-fi signals wherever we have been. Don't think there's anything particular about your rig. As others have said, some CG's just don't have a strong signal and it requires some type of booster to bring it in. The particular unit from Crane sticks to a window which takes any interference the walls of the RV may provide out of play and provides better line of sight reception.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:03 PM   #6

Lightbulb wifi

hawking technology and other companies have antennas that extend range significantly I use a hawkings dish and can get usable signals over 3000
feet away the dish is usb enabled and i have stuck it out the dinette window for better range. the antennas built into laptops conkout at about 50-100 feet. if you are handy a antenna can be made from a can plans are availble on the net.
later Mike
ktm500mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:32 PM   #7

Lorraine,

We had the same issue in a campground this winter and I solved the problem with this antenna package:
Kit: 1000mW USB WiFi Card & gear to Mount Outdoors to reach distant signal

You can mount the antenna on the top of your fiver (I put a small metal plate on the top of the ladder), but we have found that just placing the antenna in the rear window does the trick.

It made a huge difference. There is also an issue with capacity in many campgrounds and you will find the response slowing down at busy times, like around dinner. The antenna helps with that as well.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:58 PM   #8

As a long time mac portable user, you should know that the metal cased macbook Pros are very direction sensitive. The metal case has two plastic inserts on the side of the lid which are the Wifi antennas. For you the user, this means that turning the case slightly to align with the campground wifi antenna will make a major difference in signal strength. I have actually stopped using the Macbook pro in favor of the MacBooks in plastic cases because of the difference in wifi reception. I have used the MacBook and MacBook pro side by side with very different wifi results.
rvnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #9

Thanks to everyone replying. The repeater in the campground is fairly close to us but turned away from our area; we're on the outskirts, out of the way and the hustle and bustle. My iMac located next to the window has trouble as well as the MacBook Pro, so I don't think that's the problem.

The rumor is that improvements in the equipment which will in turn make improvements in reception are on the way, so we're waiting to see what that turns out to be. For now, I take my MacBook Pro down to the office and sit to do interneting. Maybe they'll get tired of my presence before I get tired of doing it and things will change faster.