Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2017, 10:10 AM   #1

Fixed- Replace Slide seal due to rusting 'fingers'

I thought I would share this as there is very little info regarding replacing Newmar Slide Seals. Newmar suggested I have it done by a repair facility but after discussion with the local RV dealer technician I went the following route.

The metal fingers in the slide seal had rusted and disintegrated on the front edge of our LR Slide. The top and rear section were still like new. So I decided to try replacing the front edge section only. I cut the existing seal about 8 inches rearward of the front edge of the slide topper. I cut the new seal so the wiper part overlapped the old seal wiper and then on the advice of the local RV repair guy I installed the seal using Krazy Glue to join the new and old at the Butt Joint. I also glued the overlapped wiper. The Krazy Glue worked well. I cut the wiper part of the new seal at the same angle as the old seal where it makes the downward turn, so the overlap of the seal was the same as before. There were 2 screws at the top corner where the seal makes it downward turn, I put these back through the new seal after it was installed onto the lip.
The seal requires considerable pressure to push onto the lip so I used a small pry bar with a piece of 1/4" plywood as a backing to pry against...this also worked well.
The seal has an adhesive backed outer lip so the last thing to do is pull the tape strip off after you have everything pressed onto the lip and trimmed to length. (Clean the fiberglass with rubbing alcohol before removing the tape strip)

This fixed our loose seal problem. It was easier than I expected (about 2 hours) and cost me about $100 for the 7ft of seal (here in Canada the Newmar seal from an RV dealer was $14 a foot). If I have another problem I will replace the entire seal but that requires disconnecting the slide topper for access. Half of my time was taken creating a square butt seal to join the new and old rubber.

This was a good learning experience for me and I would not hesitate to replace the entire seal myself in the future, though probably easier with a second person to help with the topper. I hope this info proves useful to some, from my research it seems common for these metal fingers in the seal to rust and disintegrate allowing the seal to pull off the lip.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2017, 10:51 AM   #2

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2017, 11:54 AM   #3

Yea I had the same problem with my bedroom slide seal and I used gorilla glue on the seal where the metal connecting piece had rusted, and it seams to be holding
in good
Old 09-12-2017, 10:49 AM   #4

As an update, I did some searching to find another source for the seal in case I need to replace any further down the road. I found the Newmar Seal on Com_Net2, Newmar Part # 85582 @ $5.33 a foot.

For me this equates to about $6.50 a foot Canadian. I paid $14.95 a foot here in Canada. Moral of the story is don't buy it from a dealer in Canada.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, rust, seal, slide