Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2015, 01:21 PM   #1

FL vs Spartan Chassis

I'm am still in the learning process when it comes to all the ins and outs of not only all of the Newmar products, but Class A MH's as well. What are some of the big differences between FL and Spartan when it comes to chassis? I noticed that the spartan chassis is an upgrade in some of the luxury models, but just trying to better understand the benefits. I'm assuming some of it comes down to a personal preference but just wanted to hear feedback from this very well informed group. Thanks!
FledCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2015, 01:34 PM   #2

My Winnebago was a FL and I really liked it. My Ventana has a Spartan but I've only driven it once. I'm going on a road trip this week end and I'll let you know. I don't expect to see much difference.
rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:17 PM   #3

pokerloser,
I had a DS on a FL chassis and now have a MT Aire on a Spartan chassis.
Allowing for technological improvements over time there is no difference between the two in my opinion.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:27 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi pokerloser,
There is no difference. Consider dropping this from your list of considerations. What to look for is:
1. Floor plan. Floor plan sells the coach. Look at the floor plan in three configurations.
1a. travel
1b. living
1c. sleeping
2. Will the coach carry your people, you and all your stuff? This is GVWR minus Unloaded Vehicle Weight = Carrying capacity. Different manufacturers take some marketing license with these numbers so make sure you know what is in each number.
3. Will the coach tow what you want to tow? This is Gross Combined Weight Rating minus Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. The hitch should also have the same rating (check, some do not).

These 3 items, for all intent, can not be changed. So make sure they will accommodate your needs. When purchasing a coach one is buying a truck (not a car). Weight becomes very important to log term happiness.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi pokerloser,
There is no difference. Consider dropping this from your list of considerations. What to look for is:
1. Floor plan. Floor plan sells the coach. Look at the floor plan in three configurations.
1a. travel
1b. living
1c. sleeping
2. Will the coach carry your people, you and all your stuff? This is GVWR minus Unloaded Vehicle Weight = Carrying capacity. Different manufacturers take some marketing license with these numbers so make sure you know what is in each number.
3. Will the coach tow what you want to tow? This is Gross Combined Weight Rating minus Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. The hitch should also have the same rating (check, some do not).

These 3 items, for all intent, can not be changed. So make sure they will accommodate your needs. When purchasing a coach one is buying a truck (not a car). Weight becomes very important to log term happiness.
Thanks Gary, that's great info
Old 07-24-2015, 05:35 PM   #6

Having owned both I prefer FL. I had a lot of chassis flex on the Spartan along with air leaks and right height issues. I looked into welding some more bracing to strengthen things. I noticed a lot of the bracing that was Spartan installed was just tacked and not fully welded.

On my current FL I have not noticed chassis flex and Everywhere I have looked there are nice clean welds. No air leaks so far.

Just because the Spartan is more money doesn't mean its an upgrade just more expensive. Fl dwarfs Spartan in size as a company and I think are more efficient at building. Also Fl has way more service centers on the road vs Spartan.
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:20 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Wow! While I generally agree the things in GaryKD's comments, the chassis is important. That being said, a comparison is difficult as each manufacturer offers several different chasses. Excepting some recall issues, you will probably get what you pay for. The better chasses are more expensive. Bigger coaches require more sturdy chassis. Boxed frames are better than C beams. I have heard rave reviews regarding the new comfort drives and active air (suspensions), but one will pay for these enhancements. Determine what frames are offered on the coaches that interest you and then investigate the differences between that smaller set of apples and oranges. The RV manufacturer should be able to help, but don't be shy about contacting the chassis manufacturer also.
tbbg II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:09 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
A very general difference but an important one is body height as applied to the chassis, i.e., in the past FL chassis have set on top of the frame rails, Spartan has somewhat sat down over the rails. Compare the bay height of the two. FL bays were 4-6" taller (because the body sat on top of the rail) making them more usable and easier to access. I have a 2005 MADP Spartan, my neighbor a 2004 and now a 2014 MADP FL. Major difference in bay doors and usability/accessibility.
JLDHELMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbbg II View Post
Wow! While I generally agree the things in GaryKD's comments, the chassis is important. That being said, a comparison is difficult as each manufacturer offers several different chasses. Excepting some recall issues, you will probably get what you pay for. The better chasses are more expensive. Bigger coaches require more sturdy chassis. Boxed frames are better than C beams. I have heard rave reviews regarding the new comfort drives and active air (suspensions), but one will pay for these enhancements. Determine what frames are offered on the coaches that interest you and then investigate the differences between that smaller set of apples and oranges. The RV manufacturer should be able to help, but don't be shy about contacting the chassis manufacturer also.

I tend to agree with Gary. The Freightliner/Spartan argument is not the either or that it might have been 10-15 years ago. The coach builders today choose a chassis from a vast list of very specific options from either chassis builder. Plus, some now are buying the front & rear clips from the chassis builder and then joining them with a bridge or ladder rail system which is proprietary to that coach builder.

The real question may be; how did the coach builder spec out the chassis for that particular coach model.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:42 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi tbbg II,
The OP made the question in the Newmar Owners forum. My response is based on Newmar Corp and how they purchase chassis. If the post had been in the general motor home forum my answer would have been slightly different.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #11

On my previous coaches I've had Spartan chassis under them. On my new 2014 MADP I have a Freightlinner. While Spartan was a good chassis, FL is a great chassis. FL has a better smoother ride, better handling & is quieter going down the road. FL also has sealed front wheel bearings Vs oil bath on the Spartan- less PM & checking. Freightlinner has a much larger & geographically dispersed service organization than Spartan for service & repair.

The only 3 complaints I have on the FL are: the DEF tank is on the wrong side (rear door side)- should be on the drivers side for filling at truck stops. I think Spartans is on the same side? The side mounted radiator fan stirs up a lot more dust & dirt than Spartans because the fan cowling isn't long enough or the blades aren't mounted deep enough into the cowling. The desiccant air line dryer filter is a B..... to replace! - the design engineer(s) who decided to put it up above the rear axle should be made to replace 4 a day! That location would get changed in a New York nano- second! Spartan has them beat on this filter location- very handy location at the rear compartment on the door side.
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:18 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with Captain Bill. Unless you look at Mountain Zaire or above, there is no choice of chassis in the Newmar line-up .

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:38 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
We have had an 07 Mandalay on a FL and now have a 08 Dutch Star on a Spartan. Both drive very nice. I like the Newmar "comfort steer" that the dutch Star has but didn't have any problem with the FL without it. Having a Cummins engine for me is a must have. hope this helps- mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spartan, chassis