Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2018, 11:22 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Flat tire

got A flat up front tire guy said he can boot it but can't keep it as A steer tire needs to trade it out for one of the drive tires.
Is this normal or not.

Thanks
Floud
Floyd2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2018, 12:37 PM   #2

That sounds about right. It's best not to have a repaired tire on the steer axle. Let him do it.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:51 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks
Old 08-01-2018, 03:11 PM   #4
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Sorry to disagree here, but "booting" a tire is not a good practice IMHO. Replace the tire! You definitely don't want a "booted" tire on the steer axle and I wouldn't want a "booted" tire anywhere on my coach. YMMV

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:29 PM   #5

I have to ask...what is "booting a tire"? Is this something to do with repairing the sidewall as opposed to plugging in the tread?
Old 08-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #6
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cti2000 View Post
I have to ask...what is "booting a tire"? Is this something to do with repairing the sidewall as opposed to plugging in the tread?
A "boot" is a large patch designed to repair a damaged sidewall. There are a couple of problems with "boots." First, they do not "repair" cut or torn fabric in the sidewall. At best, they attempt to hold the damaged area together. That worked to a point in the "old days" when vehicles were lighter and speeds were lower. Even then, they were considered to be a poor solution to the problem.

The other issue is that boots are relatively heavy and create a tire balance issue. You can re-balance the tire with additional wheel weights, but I've never seen one that was really well balanced. As a result of being at least somewhat out of balance, a booted tire can bounce and create stresses that impact the "repaired" area further.

I worked in a tire shop for several years..."back in the day"...and did a bunch of "boots" when customers insisted. We tried to talk them out of booting their tire as we felt it created a safety hazard. Some listened, some didn't.

TJ
Old 08-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
ok guys this is not on the side wall just a nail or screw & A slow leak.
to be exact I pumped it up about 5 hrs. ago & it has not lost any air yet so I am A little confused. Do they make tubes for these 22.5 tires?
Floyd
Old 08-01-2018, 06:39 PM   #8
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If it is a leak from a puncture and the tire fabric has not been damaged, a simple patch (not a "boot") is all that is needed. Big tires can also be fixed with a plug.

Properly done, a plug is an acceptable patch. Improperly done (usually where some type of rasp is used to roughen the inside of the puncture hole), fabric can be damaged.

Have a reputable tire service fix the puncture and you will be fine. Sidewall damage is a whole different issue. Glad that's not your problem.

TJ
Old 08-01-2018, 06:47 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess I call anything inside the tire A boot but it would just be A patch. tomorrow I will get the soapy water 7 sprsy bottle out & see if I can find the problem Like I said I pumped it up & haven't lost any pressure in over 5 hrs now which has me confused maybe A rim leak or something.
Floyd
Old 08-01-2018, 07:50 PM   #10

We had a right front tire blowout on our Essex which did over 20K dollars damage and we came very close to losing control of the coach. Don't be a fool and boot a tire. Replace your tires at least every 6 years. You and your coach are to important to take a big chance with a booted tire.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:09 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok has not lost any air in 24 hrs. Took soapy water & sprayed & sprayed more & found nothing. I pumped it up to 110 PSI maybe A rim leak then when I pumped it up it sealed. Don't know what to think. I guess I will let her sit & see if it goes down.
Floyd
Old 08-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #12
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd2u View Post
Ok has not lost any air in 24 hrs. Took soapy water & sprayed & sprayed more & found nothing. I pumped it up to 110 PSI maybe A rim leak then when I pumped it up it sealed. Don't know what to think. I guess I will let her sit & see if it goes down.
Floyd
I guess I'm confused here. You went from needing a "boot" in the tire and a "tire guy" telling you it couldn't be mounted on the steer axle to "it has not lost any air in 24 hours." In between, you mentioned a puncture from "a nail or screw" and a "possible rim leak."

Have you really identified the cause of the initial air loss or are you just bouncing theories around? If you lost air in the tire (even once), take it to a qualified tire shop and have the cause identified. Then, fix or replace the tire as is required. Until you do that, jumping from one theory to another is just setting you up for a serious tire problem.

It sounds like we are more concerned about your safety than you are.

TJ
Old 08-02-2018, 12:16 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess i don't know what its problem is was i always thought you couldn't plug A rv tire so first thought I picked up A nail or something. When I say boot any kind of patch inside A tire I call it A boot. I wish I had A good tire place around living out in the boons nothing around. The tire guy I called was to see if he would work on it.
And the deal about a putting it on the rear & a possible boot came from him.
Yes I am concerned with safety. But at this time how do u fix something thats not broke? I told the DW that it would have been better if we found something.
Floyd
Old 08-02-2018, 03:40 PM   #14

Could also be a bad valve or valve stem. I've had intermittent problems with bad valves. They're quick and cheap to replace. And you can safely to it yourself.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote