Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2017, 09:49 PM   #1

Flat tire- what's your experience

I don't want to jinx anybody, but was wondering what actually happens when RVs get flats. So here you are rolling down the highway and you get waved over. You have a flat. With my car, I can call AAA and have them put my spare on or do it myself. Then I zip over to Les Schwab and have them fix the flat.

Now I'm in my motorhome. Get flat. Call Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I have Michelin 275/80/22.5 tires. What happens? Just wondering.🤔
Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2017, 09:56 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In all my years of RV'ing I've only had ONE flat tire. That was last November. Outside drivers dual. Limped into the next city (about 10 miles) called Les Schwab. An hour later and $45 lighter I was on my way. Replaced all the tires and internal TPMS sensors the next week at a cost of about $6,000. Would have been more but I used the FMCA Advantage program.
I have 365/70 front and tag, drive tires are 315/80's and I'm no where near their capacity.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:58 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
You call them they send out a commercial truck service with a tire of the correct size (that you pay for that at the time ) they then remove the flat and mount the tire roadside. Good Sam pays them to come to you and remove and remount the tire you pay for the tire.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:02 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Michelin 275/80/22.5 inside dual blew out in central California 10 miles out of Los Banos.

I called AAA and half hour later the first tow truck showed up with the same tire and the guy installed it. Motorhome was undrivable due to all the internal wiring having been ripped out and wrapped around the rear axle so he had ordered a bigger tow truck that showed up and towed me to Fresno.

About $2,000 for the tow trucks and later $10,000 for the repairs. AAA paid the whole thing.

I'm a happy camper.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:41 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First: Before you do anything else google or forum search for the phrase "Watching these videos may save your life" Most forums families have a thread like it. Or. Just click this link...Watching these videos may save your life

I've watched, and learned.

What happens when you get a flat tire. Option 1: You roll over and die.. I'm not kidding,, Option 2: You watched that video and learned and thus remain UPRIGHT and alive.. So watch the video.

Now. If you have it, Call coach net and they will find a tire guy and he will call you and ask some quesitons (What tire) and come out and fix you up.

That's more or less what I did (it was close enough he came to me, took tire to shop, fixed, returned)

When I was a police dispatcher

We had a few RVers with flats.. I found two or 3 24x7 Tire guys and I'd call around to find out who was working tonight and send 'em out (I worked the evening shift) I kept a list of 24x7 Truck and Tire folks.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
You call them they send out a commercial truck service with a tire of the correct size (that you pay for that at the time ) they then remove the flat and mount the tire roadside. Good Sam pays them to come to you and remove and remount the tire you pay for the tire.
So if they can do this, can they just fix the flat?

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:10 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
If the tire has been driven flat, unlikely a repair is viable. If not driven flat, and repairable, then yes they can/will fix on-site. I went out to prep our coach one morning and found a tire that can come unpumped. Tire service guy found a nail in the tread. Removed the tire, patched from inside, reinstalled.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:31 AM   #8

On our last coach, an 05 Navigator, blew a right front tire. Before I could stop the tire was shredded, the rim was ruined, the shredded tire ripped out air brake hose and speed sensor wire.
AAA came out and replaced rim and tire. Took air hose to machine shop and repaired.
So point being a flat tire is easily fixed, be glad that is all that happens

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-06-2017, 10:50 AM   #9

Blew the front passenger side tire and it was destroyed before the beast came to a stop. Rim was surprisingly still good. Good Sam did fine and my mounted spare was installed pretty quick. The advice above about learning what to do with a front tire blowout is really important for your safety and completely counterintuitive. Personal choice on carrying a spare. I travel remote areas and finding a tire to fit in some parts of the country is a challenge and since I have the room I carry it.

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #10

I will simply stop in a suitable place, get the spare down, jack up the MH, change the tire, hoist the flat tire back up to the holder, and be on my way. It took a while to figure out how, and some fabrication to make it work, but for some of the places we go I think it will be worth the trouble. I hope we never have to use it, but..... It seemed the simplest, but possibly not easiest, to me.

We do have roadside assistance, but I would prefer to do it myself if I can. I carry tools with me and the same goes for any roadside repairs I can make. Perhaps it's just that I trust myself more than I trust others to work on my vehicles. It's less expensive and faster too.

I would agree that flats are few and far between, but they do happen.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
I will simply stop in a suitable place, get the spare down, jack up the MH, change the tire, hoist the flat tire back up to the holder, and be on my way. It took a while to figure out how, and some fabrication to make it work, but for some of the places we go I think it will be worth the trouble. I hope we never have to use it, but..... It seemed the simplest, but possibly not easiest, to me.

We do have roadside assistance, but I would prefer to do it myself if I can. I carry tools with me and the same goes for any roadside repairs I can make. Perhaps it's just that I trust myself more than I trust others to work on my vehicles. It's less expensive and faster too.

I would agree that flats are few and far between, but they do happen.

Steve
Don't you have a pickup camper ?

The OP is talking about 22.5 tires.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Yep, that's what they did with mine. It was a Michelin 315/80 and had been driven flat for well over 10 miles when I pulled off the freeway. They also brought a TOYO traction tire since it was the only one they had. The young man (kid to me!) broke the tire down still on the MH. Found the hole, inspected the tire, patched it (internal patch) and popped it back on. Drove it another 300-400 miles. When they installed the new tires I looked them over and there was absolutely NO damage to any of them. They were dated in '07 so 9 years old. No internal damage, nor external cracks. Could probably have gone another couple years on them. But I had already ordered new tires and they came in a week after the flat.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:45 PM   #13
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawg46 View Post
I don't want to jinx anybody, but was wondering what actually happens when RVs get flats. So here you are rolling down the highway and you get waved over. You have a flat. With my car, I can call AAA and have them put my spare on or do it myself. Then I zip over to Les Schwab and have them fix the flat.

Now I'm in my motorhome. Get flat. Call Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I have Michelin 275/80/22.5 tires. What happens? Just wondering.🤔
The absolutely best thing you can do is get a TPMS system to ensure that your tires are ALWAYS inflated properly while driving down the road. It will also alert you to a leak.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawg46 View Post
I don't want to jinx anybody, but was wondering what actually happens when RVs get flats...
Well, mine was a blow out on the passenger, rear, inside, dual, and knocked out my trasmission ECM so I was in Limp mode until I found a place to pull over and then shut down the engine to inspect the damage and was not able to restart.... soooo

Since most large coaches do not carry spares, it's roadside service as has been stated. I have installed the type of tires common to semi's so I should not have a problem in locating a replacement tire around Interstate freeways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motorhome tow.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	148449  
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote