Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2019, 09:39 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MincRV20 View Post
You did not say whether you had keyless start or not.. We had our tow system set up today at the dealership and it works like a charm.. However, we have been practicing putting the F-150 (keyless start), into and out of flat tow mode successfully for several months with very few miss fires.

Definitely read and heed the manufacturers instructions, page 312..

It surely tells you exactly how to do it, but it’s a little hard to interpret because of all the cautions and disclaimers. It’s also written for keyed and keyless start. So I abbreviated the instructions to a few simple steps.. BUT, be sure to READ THE OWNERS MANUAL..

Here is a copy of our simple steps.. Works 95% of the time..
BE AWARE, USE EXTREME CAUTION..CAUTION...CAUTION!!!!

REMEMBER, ANYTIME THE F-150 IS IN NEUTRAL TOW MODE, IT COULD ROLL AWAY UNLESS IT’S SECURELY CONNECTED TO THE COACH VIA THE TOW BAR OR YOU ARE HOLDING THE BRAKES.. THE BRAKES ARE MANUAL WITH THE ENGINE OFF SO IT WILL TAKE WAY MORE PRESSURE ON THE BRAKE PEDAL TO KEEP THE TRUCK FROM MOVING.. THE ROLLING AWAY CAN BE VERY SUBTLE.. IT CAN START OFF VERY VERY SLOW, THEN VERY GRADUALLY ACCELERATE.. BE VERY ALERT WHENEVER YOU RELEASE THE BRAKES. A 3 TON TRUCK THAT RUNS AWAY CAN INJURE OR KILL SOMEONE , INCLUDING YOURSELF OR DO SERIOUS DAMAGE. SO BE VERY CAREFUL!!!

INTO TOW MODE
- [ ] Hook-up tow bar and safety chains / secure the F-150 to the coach.
- [ ] Without pressing brake pedal, press START/STOP.
- [ ] Press and hold the brake pedal.
- [ ] Shift to neutral (N).
- [ ] Within 7 seconds, rotate the 4WD switch full clockwise, full CCW 5 times.
- [ ] Read/Verify “Neutral Tow Enabled, Leave transmission in Neutral”.
- [ ] Press START/STOP without pressing the brake pedal.
- [ ] Release brake pedal. (CAUTION !!!)

——————————————

OUT OF TOW MODE

BEFORE DISCONNECTING F-150 FROM THE COACH !!!!!!

- [ ] Without pressing brake pedal, press START/STOP.
- [ ] Press and hold the brake pedal.
- [ ] Place the transmission into park (P).
- [ ] Read “Neutral Tow Disabled”.
- [ ] Release the brake pedal. (CAUTION !!!)

——————————————
Note:
You can check towing status anytime by pressing START/STOP, without pressing brake pedal.
Exactly how I have been setting up my 2017. I try to get on very flat or slightly sloped away from the Coach to hook up

I don't back up after hooking the tow bar but rather push back on the F150 to lock at least one side. If I can push it back then feel better about being sure it is disengaged

Sure wouldn't want to be in the OP's situation so it is a great thread for everyone. I do have the push button start as well
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2020, 11:03 PM   #30

I just bought a slightly used 2018 F-150 4X4 to use as a tow vehicle behind my RV. My 2014 F-150 would not work (4X2), so sold that one. Before I bought the current truck, I sat in it with the owners manual and went through the neutral tow procedure several times, it worked fine each time. Originally was looking at the new Ranger, they cost a lot more that the 2018 F-150 and are not as comfortable and not much room in the back seats. The F-150 with the basic 3.3 V6 engine has a curb weight of only 328 lbs more that the Ranger. Working on getting to tow ready now.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:37 AM   #31

I have a 19 KR 4x4 F150 we've towed for about 9 months and never a real issue.

That said, I have had it not work several times but in every case I didn't follow the instructions precisely.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:50 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
We towed our 2014 for 30K mi. Had a few times when it didn't shift. Sometimes it was op error and sometimes it was the truck may have been in a bind. I do like the idea of taking a photo in case something goes wrong as one poster experienced.

We sold the F150 and will now be towing my 2019 F250 KR. It functions exactly the same as the F150.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:39 PM   #33

There is a know issue with the 2019 F150 that does not allow neutral tow mode. I don't remember the TSB number. Call the dealer.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:39 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivrman2 View Post
I have the same issue. I called my dealer and the service manager knew nothing about it. He even questioned if I could even flat tow a f 150. I assured him I’d done my homework and ask him to please research this issue. He called me back about 10 minutes later and confirmed that there was in fact a TSB issued for this problem. He said all 2019 f 150 built before January 10th (I think) was missing a key piece of software. Mine was built December 18th. Anyway, he said it’s no big deal and they can update the software tomorrow.
Thanks for posting this thread, I was going crazy trying to figure this thing out.
Rivrman2, you are the man, you seriously save the day.

I just bought a new to me 2019 lariat FX4 with 34,000 miles. I had the dealer’s third-party set up the tow bar brake system and lights. I drove to Tulsa to pick up the Ford, handled paperwork, hooked up and then the truck would not go into neutral tow.

The dealer had no idea what you do and passed me around to six different people all of which said they didn’t know what to do since the don’t own an RV. Huh?
We even tried to a used F150 that the service manager was driving, and it had the same issue. It’s likely because it was manufactured in the same time. Period

When It became apparent they were not going to get to the bottom of the problem, I did a quick 10 minute search on the Internet and found this thread. You saved the day. When I told them about the TSB you noted and asked The service manager to look it up, he found it in two minutes. 30 minutes later he had the system in the truck updated and it now goes into nuetral tow.

Thank you so much. I am now headed back on my 7 Hour drive towing it home And I didn’t have to spend the night ( or many nights) in Tulsa.

Edit: the TSB was called a SSM. I’ll add the number later when I get the receipt out of the toad glove box.

Hope this helps others as well.
Mammalian04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 04:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammalian04 View Post
Rivrman2, you are the man, you seriously save the day.

I just bought a new to me 2019 lariat FX4 with 34,000 miles. I had the dealer’s third-party set up the tow bar brake system and lights. I drove to Tulsa to pick up the Ford, handled paperwork, hooked up and then the truck would not go into neutral tow.

The dealer had no idea what you do and passed me around to six different people all of which said they didn’t know what to do since the don’t own an RV. Huh?
We even tried to a used F150 that the service manager was driving, and it had the same issue. It’s likely because it was manufactured in the same time. Period

When It became apparent they were not going to get to the bottom of the problem, I did a quick 10 minute search on the Internet and found this thread. You saved the day. When I told them about the TSB you noted and asked The service manager to look it up, he found it in two minutes. 30 minutes later he had the system in the truck updated and it now goes into nuetral tow.

Thank you so much. I am now headed back on my 7 Hour drive towing it home And I didn’t have to spend the night ( or many nights) in Tulsa.

Edit: the TSB was called a SSM. I’ll add the number later when I get the receipt out of the toad glove box.

Hope this helps others as well.
Great overview and helpful for many
Old 07-05-2020, 02:58 PM   #36

I have a 2019 F150 Platinum and I am using an RViBrake. Does anyone know if any of the 12v power points remain powered continuously when in flat tow mode? The manual states in a round about way that all points shut off after 90 minutes max. I had to add a 12v outlet to my 2017 F150 because of this issue.

Gary
gsdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:34 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdutch View Post
I have a 2019 F150 Platinum and I am using an RViBrake. Does anyone know if any of the 12v power points remain powered continuously when in flat tow mode? The manual states in a round about way that all points shut off after 90 minutes max. I had to add a 12v outlet to my 2017 F150 because of this issue.

Gary
No, they time out

You would have to run a dedicated line/wire
Old 07-06-2020, 11:00 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Anyone flat towing a newer F 150 4x4? Just spent 2 hours trying to get the transfer case on my 2019 F 150 to shift to neutral. Did exactly what the manual spells out and have had no luck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks
Push harder on the brake pedal. We followed every step in the manual and was having trouble and we spoke with someone at Ford and he told us to push very hard on the brake pedal during the process of engagement and disengagement of the sequence to set it up to tow an problem solved. No issued again.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:41 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk2 View Post
Push harder on the brake pedal. We followed every step in the manual and was having trouble and we spoke with someone at Ford and he told us to push very hard on the brake pedal during the process of engagement and disengagement of the sequence to set it up to tow an problem solved. No issued again.
This thread was from early 2019. The issue was a required update to the computer firmware. There was an update that needed to be performed by the dealer.
Mammalian04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:46 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdutch View Post

Gary
Yes, they do time out after 90 minutes, I checked it myself. It is possible to defeat that by running a fused jumper wire from either a known full time fuse in the fuse box, or the battery, to the fuse the controls the 12v plug, which will enable it to stay ON all the time. This is all done under the hood. I am in the process of getting my F150 tow-ready and am planning to do this. Hopefully this will work, otherwise I will run another wire to inside. There is a fuse diagram in your owners manual, on my 2018 it is fuse #6 that controls the front dash 12v plug. I believe that the info about the jumper wire is in the F150 online forum.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:35 PM   #41

Milford47, Califcruiser: thanks for the quick reply. I am going to try to find the F150 forum post regarding the fused jumper.
gsdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:27 AM   #42

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk2 View Post
You will end up pushing the pedal thru the floor in frustration if you need the software corrected
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing