Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2022, 04:14 PM   #1

Flexsteel Defective Fabric - Installing the new fabric

I have purchased the replacement fabric for our captain's chairs under Newmar's warranty program. I need to find someone to install the pre-sewn fabric.

Has anyone done this that can share their experience? Did you have to remove the captain's chairs? Was the installation performed on site or did you have to take your coach to an upholsterer?

Thanks,

Rex
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2022, 04:33 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you purchased a replacement kit, recovering your seats is an easy job.
Use a plastic bag over the back of the seat to make it slip down all the way.
You can buy some hog rings and a set of pliers at any good hardware store, and Youtube is your friend. Watch a few guys do it and follow their advice, and you will be fine.
You do need to pull the seats out.

Been there, done that.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 05:14 PM   #3

When you say you bought the fabric under warranty?
I took pictures and sent them to Newmar. I got at least a paper trail going.
We took our coach to our dealer for service, while there I had them look at all my seats that were flaking. They did all the correspondence with Newmar. I had gotten 2 bids from upholstry companies, gave them to our dealer and we got everything taken care of. It look's Great!
Old 07-03-2022, 10:08 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I bought replacement covers thru Newmar (1/2 off still over priced) about 6 years ago and installed them myself. It was not a hard job at all. The heating pad for the back is glued to the foam of the cover you will have to be very careful cutting it out. I glued it to the seat before installing the cover. Take lots of pics when taking the seat out and old cover off. Then when you go to strap the new cover down you will have a reference how to clip it together and were the wires go.
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:09 AM   #5

I cannot do this myself. Did anyone hire an upholsterer to do the job?
Old 07-05-2022, 06:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
I cannot do this myself. Did anyone hire an upholsterer to do the job?
I had mine redone by an upholstery shop. I got new covers from Lisa Bauer made from real ultraleather not the newmar junk. I had arranged for a local guy that does auto seats to do it... then he backed out as he claimed he was too busy. I ended up going to Wade RV as I've had them do carpeting and other things in the past on prior coaches. I didn't get into details with them, so I don't know if they took out the chairs or did them in place.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:50 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I had mine done by an upholstery shop in Phoenix. Received the covers from Bauer Upholstery as others have. I was out of town when the job was done but they took out the couch and captains chairs and did the job at the shop. The end product was perfect. Better material than original. Couldn't be happier with the whole project.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:00 AM   #8

I hired an auto upholster to do mine. I paid $660. He came to the house, removed the chairs, took them to his shop and installed the new covers. He also made custom fit covers for daily use. It took him 3 days which was fine. It was February when he did them and I live in RI.

He just made the custom daily covers. I didn’t know about them or pick the color. I would have a done a different color, but I love the work.

***I don’t have pics on my phone. I will take some later.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 01:06 PM   #9

Here’s the covers he made
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CD527828-A075-4842-BE8E-B826030DC4B1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	369.7 KB
ID:	370292  
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:46 AM   #10

Can someone who has used Bauer Upholstery give a ballpark figure for what they paid for the covers? Thanks!
Old 07-09-2022, 06:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandS View Post
Can someone who has used Bauer Upholstery give a ballpark figure for what they paid for the covers? Thanks!
About $800 per cover ( that was last year)
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 06:47 AM   #12

I just paid $2,127 for two captains chairs.
Old 07-09-2022, 06:47 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am not a lawyer but why hassn't a class action or other lawsuit been filed against this.
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 03:56 PM   #14

Official iRV2 Sponsor

RV Trip Wizard
See our Bauer Upholstery 5-Star Experience

THE POOR MATERIAL SELECTION MADE FOR SYNTHETIC LEATHER FURNITURE MANUFACTURED BY FLEXSTEEL RV FURNITURE FOR THE MOTORHOME BUILDERS HAS IMPACTED AND PLAGUED MANY RVERS! I personally don't know who made the material selection and don't care. I bought my 2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 used, and inherited this problem.

After doing a ton of internet research on irv2, it became OBVIOUS that the de-facto RV furniture recovering company to use was Bauer RV Upholstery in Dubuque Iowa. Turns out, that when Flexsteel decided to EXIT the RV furniture business, Lisa Bauer and her son Mason Bauer decided to ENTER the RV furniture repair and recovering business! Since Lisa originally worked at Flexsteel, she knew exactly which former Flexsteel employees to assemble on her team to produce seat covers as close to Original Equipment Manufacturer's (OEM) specifications as possible.

Bauer RV Upholstery knows EXACTLY which materials NOT TO USE, and will help you select which ones to use. They own the rights and EXACT patterns for most of the Flexsteel RV Furniture that was made. They understand the process and tricks of the trade. They own an assortment of complex and expensive tools and devices. They maintain an up-to-date documented library of "build instruction sheets" for each new cover they make. This will insure as close to an OEM fit for your new captains seat cover.

[Moderator Edit]
Mark and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install