Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2007, 08:28 AM   #1

This little project was the result of a long drive, too much coffee, and too much rain to be outside.

I have never been completely comfortable in my drivers seat. The lumbar support hit way too high for my anatomy, and the seat was too flat for my liking. I like the bolstered feel of a true bucket seat.

I looked carefully at the seat construction and figured out that the cover can be dislodged with minimal tools and trouble. The seat back cover has zippers on each side that extend to the arm rests, and in the space between the seat back and the seat bottom is a clever little plastic closure that can be undone without tools. Once I gained access, the zippers opened enough so that I could see the air bladder for the lumber support. Moving it was as simple as snipping a few zip ties and moving it to where I wanted it. More zip ties fixed it at the new location. I also cut some additional seat foam the length of the seatback and about three inches wide. I was able to insert that under the cover on each side to form a bolster on the right and left side. Rezip the zippers, and close the plastic closure and the back was finished.

I had to work a little harder on the bottom. There are plastic grippers that slide onto metal ledges on the seat underside. It is fairly easy to undo them by hand. But I had to unscrew the power switches and the lumbar support switch. The power switches can be disconnected, but the lumbar switch was just easier to slide back through the hole. I now had access the foam underneath the seat top. It got an extra layer of upholstery foam for the entire bottom, plus additional foam at the sides to form bolsters. I pulled the cover back down, reinstalled the switches, and reengaged the fasteners underneath.

Total time, including figuring out how to disassemble the seat, was about 1.5 hours. I am happy to say that my back and my butt are now much happier.

If you decide to do this, make sure you have plenty of foam in about a 1/2 to 3/4 thickness to start. Also the foam needs to be rather firm. The pillow type foam from Wally world isn't going to help. Go to an auto upholstery shop and get the foam . I cheated and used an old backpacking sleeping pad. Hey, you work with what you have when the rain keeps you in the coach.

Lovely bride sat in it, and asked "When do you do mine?"

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2007, 11:10 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dick I added your tips and mods to the Quick Tips & Easy Mods post so it will be easy to find for future reference, it hasn't been added to, 4 pgs back, in some time, will leave your posts also.
Thanks for the tips.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:28 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dick, you've given me hope that I can get my chair to be comfortable too!

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
park_ridge_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:27 AM   #4

I am so glad somebody brought this issue up. I have been living in and putting many miles on coaches for three decades. I just picked up a 2015 LADP. I absolutely cannot get comfortable in the seat. After an hour or two my lower back and hips cramp up terribly. It’s so weird. Never experienced this before.

A little background. I am extremely vertically challenged (5’5”) and have had a hip replacement a few years back. But of all the coaches I have owned and put many miles on this is the first time I have not gotten along with the seat. My wife says it looks like the bottom cushion does not allow me to get my knees at a 90 degree angle to get my feet flat on the floor.

I am not sure moving the lumbar support will fix my issue but I just wanted to see if anyone else has the same issues. Especially us “low to the ground folks”. LOL