Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2017, 07:41 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Floor heat

I have three zones of heated floors. Watching the amp draw meter on the power controls system, I see an amperage draw when I turn the heat on. However, the bedroom and bathroom show an increase in amperage (3 amps low 6 amps medium) when going from low to medium but no more draw when going to High. My kitchen floor shows the same amperage draw (10 amps) on all three settings. The kitchen floor used to be enough to heat at night here in Tucson but the furnace now comes on. Wondering if anyone is experiencing similar issues. I can confirm by using a black and decker thermal heat sensor.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
If your floor heat is run by Silverleaf turbopilot has a great post on troubleshooting the system in his NewAire here.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
If your floor heat is run by Silverleaf turbopilot has a great post on troubleshooting the system in his NewAire here.
no silver leaf on his coach, that much i know....

i have to say the phaeton heated floors were far superior to what is in the dutch star. it is one of the few things that i miss from my old coach. i have not checked voltages scientifically, and do not have a temp gauge to check surface temps, but these floors don't get as warm on the high setting as the tiffin floors did. i do like having 3 zones, but they are not as powerful. i have not run mine enough continuously to see if they lose the ability to get warm over time. that is what you are suggesting, correct ? that over the course of a few weeks you are noticing them not putting out the warmth they used to ?

perhaps they are losing their conductivity as the elements are run, breaking down over time....one more thing is that the phaeton floors had 5 levels of power, vs. the 3 on the DS.
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:53 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Bill - I've had heated floors in both Tiffin products and in our present Newmar. While the pads are made by the same company the way they are controlled is different (I prefer the Newmar as the Tiffin was capable of making our cat very uncomfortable if turned up too high).
The Tiffin pads were (in 2016) controlled by thermocouples in the floor. They went on and off dependent on the temperature of the floor mass in the area of the thermocouple.
As explained to me at PDI, the Newmar system doesn't really boost the amp draw but rather varies the on/off time of the pad. A higher setting results in a longer on cycle of on, a lower setting cuts that time ratio. So low might be 3 on and 6 off, where high might be 6 on and 3 off.
If the basement temperatures are colder now than before that could account for the need for supplemental heat.

Tom
Old 05-20-2018, 09:33 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
I have three zones of heated floors. Watching the amp draw meter on the power controls system, I see an amperage draw when I turn the heat on. However, the bedroom and bathroom show an increase in amperage (3 amps low 6 amps medium) when going from low to medium but no more draw when going to High. My kitchen floor shows the same amperage draw (10 amps) on all three settings. The kitchen floor used to be enough to heat at night here in Tucson but the furnace now comes on. Wondering if anyone is experiencing similar issues. I can confirm by using a black and decker thermal heat sensor.
This is an older thread, I am curious what you have discovered since then? Did you order the heated floors on your 2019?
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
This is an older thread, I am curious what you have discovered since then? Did you order the heated floors on your 2019?
They replaced all the floor relays saying they were defective. I wouldn’t own a coach without heated floors now that I’ve had them. We sometimes have to go without when we dry camp and don’t want to run the generator, and that’s not a good experience.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
They replaced all the floor relays saying they were defective. I wouldn’t own a coach without heated floors now that I’ve had them. We sometimes have to go without when we dry camp and don’t want to run the generator, and that’s not a good experience.
I have them on my new order, but never experienced. What is the normal amp draw per zone?
Old 05-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I have them on my new order, but never experienced. What is the normal amp draw per zone?
On low mine draw 11,5 and 2. Kitchen, bedroom, bathroom.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
On low mine draw 11,5 and 2. Kitchen, bedroom, bathroom.
is the variance due to the size of the area being heated?
Old 05-20-2018, 10:08 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
is the variance due to the size of the area being heated?
I would assume that is correct. The kitchen goes from behind the driver seats all the way past the refrigerator. Then the bathroom does the slide out too and the rear bathroom is very small.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:05 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Floor heat

On my 15 DS the difference between low medium and high is how long they stay energized, not the amount of current they draw. For example, on low, they cycle on for less time than medium or high.
pshoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, heat