RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2017, 06:20 AM   #1

Floor Heat; controls? issues?

My floor heat is not working properly. When I individually kick either the front switch, BR, or rear switch on, I can see amperage go up, but only the LR floor heat stays on long enough to fully warm the floor. The kitchen (same switch zone as the LR) and both the BR and rear bath do not fully heat (rear switch) while briefly draw full power, they shut off and do not come up to temperature.

Here is what I know about the system. There are three switches; one next to the passenger seat, one in the BR and one in the rear bath (no switch in the galley area). I know there are actually four zones as my bag of manuals had four envelopes with floor heat materials labeled LR, galley, BR and rear bath. As it seems there is no switch in the galley, I am ASSUMING the front switch next to the passenger seat must operate both the LR and the galley, correct?

Now in the four blue ‘Gold Heat’ (the floor heater manufacturer) envelopes, there is a Newmar layout illustrating these four separate zones specific for my coach. Amongst other items, each envelop also had an instruction sheet for an electronic thermostat called a ‘UTN’. As I suspect three of these are possibly set up wrong, does anyone know where they are located? I’ve looked in the metal electrical boxes like the one in the half bath labeled ‘kitchen’ to no avail. I don’t think there is a gross electrical issue as each zone does briefly pull power, but all except the LR never fully come up to temperature. Measured with an infrared thermometer, the bare floor in FWS is 71 (no heater according to the diagrams, LR is 87 and galley, BR, and rear bath are 75 - all on high for an hour.
Thoughts?

DrPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2017, 07:11 AM   #2

i have not tested mine yet, other than in the rear bathroom, which was by accident....i know that zone works.....

will do it in the next few days, as it is projected to start to cool down in southern new england....

but it would seem to me that the heating mat has a break in conductivity somewhere, that would be causing the failure to heat up all the way, after the initial start of the heating process....

you draw amps, it begins to heat, and then quits, right ? so to me, the mat cannot absorb the full flow of current, so it shuts down....

willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:10 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi - We had electrically heated floors in a previous SOB and in the current '18 DSDP. Both use the same mats but different controls. So some general information - floor temperatures will vary depending on a variety of issues not the least of which is what's under the floor. The floor over the heated part of the basement will be warmer than one over a slide out. Each pad is a different size and that will also cause variation in floor temperature.
I think checking after one hour is much too early as there is a lot of mass to heat. I find that the floors require several hours to stabilize. Finally the floors in the DS do not pull differing amps of electricity by setting. Rather the floors are an on and off cycle and the higher you set them the more "on" vs "off" time. So a low setting might be 5 on and 8 off where a high setting might be 8 on and 3 off.
I have been told that the floors are spec'ed to be at about 85 degrees on high.

Tom
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:10 PM   #4

The floor heat on ours would shut off after about 15 min. Not sure if you have the same system, but I found TSB 417 on the programing and took it to the dealer. They had to plug in a box to the control unit and it reprogramed the system. Works great now. There should be a thread on this issue. On ours, the front switch controls the front section to mid, the switch in the BR entry controls the galley area, and the switch in the back bath controls the bedroom/rear bath.

Prov. 3: 5-6
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:15 PM   #5

Phil,

Bathroom control runs the Bathroom floor.
Bedroom runs the bedroom and galley area.
Front runs the front floor section, from just behind the seats to about the middle of the galley.

Checked the floors with an IR thermometer to confirm this info.

Since we only have low-med-high settings on the wall panel I've found that most of the time I set them for hi.

I did accidentally leave the front section on high while I was out of the coach last week for a few hours. It was actually heating the overall area very nicely. Had to open the windows to cool back down

And yes they will get warmer. I turn the bathroom on before bed and leave it on all night. It will take several hours for them to get to max temps. After an hour your readings of 87-90 are about right. Just give it a bit more time.

And smile, the brand that uses hydronic heating from the Aquahot can take around 24 hours to actually get warmed up.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:26 PM   #6

Mine don't act right either on our 2015 Dutch Star. I set all 3 on Low at bed time and by morning one or two will be off. I was under the opinion that there was no thermostats involved at the mats and didn't change any settings or temperatures.

Newmar had told me in an e-mail that both them and the manufacturer of the system knew there was a problem with the programming and for me to take the coach to my dealer. Re-programming should take just a few minutes and I wouldn't be charged for it. Haven't been able to get to my dealer yet though.

wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, heat