Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2023, 06:55 AM   #1

Floor mat for the driver?

I’ve noticed that when I drive my coach with wet shoes, the polished porcelain tile floor underneath the driver’s pedals is very slippery. I’m worried that it could be a safety hazard. I’d love to hear how people deal with this issue. Do you remove your wet shoes before you drive? Do you use some kind of floor mat down by the pedals? Something else?

My wife and I are considering getting slippers that are dedicated to the interior of the coach and removing our shoes every time we enter the coach. It sounds like a potentially good idea, but not always practical.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2023, 07:18 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When we purchased our coach it had the full cockpit area rug (with the Newmar logo). Its great.
A good friend of ours with a Dutch star ordered a big “water hog” rug (like an entryway mat) and cut that up and uses it for the cockpit area. He also purchased a door mat in the same material, and cut that to place on the inside steps. Very effective at both getting the water off the shoes as well as dirt when you’re entering.
We’ve incorporated the step mats and they’ve been working well. My only caution would be is when closing the interior step entryway for traveling you probably would need to pick up the step maps.
Dave.FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 07:22 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Here is a thread about this issue I found

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/new...ts-406179.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0168.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	385268
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 07:49 AM   #4

Thanks very much!
Old 01-29-2023, 07:57 AM   #5
Community Moderator

I used these guys Contact to make a runner and cockpit carpet for my motorhome (AquaMat® AquaWeave® Evolution with AquaLoc® Black Pearl) and for my power boat flybridge and sundieck from a template I made. The AquaMat backing does not slip.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:26 AM   #6

We use dedicated footwear.

If you do go with some kind of floor mat, make sure it can't slide or bunch up obstructing pedal function (especially the brakes!)
jaydee325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee325 View Post
We use dedicated footwear.

If you do go with some kind of floor mat, make sure it can't slide or bunch up obstructing pedal function (especially the brakes!)
That’s exactly why I like the idea of a mat that’s specifically designed for my Ventana.

We use UGG slippers with rubber soles in our house. We’ll likely get some for the coach also.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C. View Post
That’s exactly why I like the idea of a mat that’s specifically designed for my Ventana.

We use UGG slippers with rubber soles in our house. We’ll likely get some for the coach also.
I like that Newmar mat too. Just haven't been able to get by the price. Next time I'm at our dealership, I'm going to ask what they might do for me on one and just bite the bullet.
jaydee325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:51 AM   #9

Our bottom line is that shoes worn outside come off at the entry. If wet, then a towel is on the floor to dry the souls. We have porcelain tile floors all around the driver feet area and I consider it is ten times easier to clean than a rug is.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:55 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I made four cardboard templates. One fits the area in front of the driver's seat, one fits the landing to the left of the passenger seat, but stops in the middle of the coach, and two fit the steps. i took all four templates to a carpet store, selected a carpet and then had them add a rubberized bottom and sew the edges. I can take them out and clean them like a regular carpet, shake them out when needed and easily clean under them.

I have to say that I like the idea of the custom Newmar cockpit carpet for the way it looks and the ability to keep that area warm when which is not heated by the heated floor system. However, for us, it puts us back into having a large piece of carpet to vacuum in our all-tile coach.....trade offs!

Name:	20230129_095147.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	385293

Name:	20230129_095151.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	375.9 KB
ID:	385294
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 01:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I made four cardboard templates. One fits the area in front of the driver's seat, one fits the landing to the left of the passenger seat, but stops in the middle of the coach, and two fit the steps. i took all four templates to a carpet store, selected a carpet and then had them add a rubberized bottom and sew the edges. I can take them out and clean them like a regular carpet, shake them out when needed and easily clean under them.

I have to say that I like the idea of the custom Newmar cockpit carpet for the way it looks and the ability to keep that area warm when which is not heated by the heated floor system. However, for us, it puts us back into having a large piece of carpet to vacuum in our all-tile coach.....trade offs!
We did this, also... but didn't have the carpet remnants (very cheap) bound. Also, loved that we could just shake them outside when dirty and gritty. When they got too dirty we just replaced them. Put on steps, also and they stayed put.

We also always had indoor and outdoor shoes. Think fuel stations.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 02:55 PM   #12

Good suggestions everyone.
Old 01-29-2023, 10:54 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
We use per made carpets and secure them with play putty. We have them for the driver , passenger and inside steps just like everyone else.
2020 Tahoe LT
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:00 AM   #14

I spoke with Newmar parts this morning and ordered the cockpit area floor mat. It wasn't cheap, but I like a product that's specifically designed for the job. For my 2018 Ventana, these mats are offered in dark grey or sand beige. I went with the beige version because it will better match the porcelain tile floors in my coach.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions in this thread.

Tags
driver, floor