Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2020, 10:46 AM   #1

Floor Question

I have a fairly bad floor squeak just outside my bathroom door. I had it to the dealer several months ago but they were unable to repair it. I was informed that they pulled off two flooring tiles, tired to screw it down but there was no underlying layer (if there was no under layer have no idea what they screwed it to.) They told me it was the tongue and groove and they couldn't do anything further. I want to take another run at this. Can anyone inform me as to how these floors are USUALLY constructed. I know you might not know my specific model but I want to gather as much info as possible. Not sure if the underfloor is plywood that is T&G or something else.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2020, 11:05 AM   #2

We recently replaced some soft flooring in a '06 Thor Hurricane. It had 7/16" particle board floor with a heavy foam base under it. It looked like the foam and particle board was glued together. We reglued them when we were done.

Is there any chance you can see the bottom of your floor in that area by entering the basement compartments? Maybe you can figure out what is happening. Just crawl in and have someone walking above and follow the squeak. Then you may be able to see what is happening.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:53 AM   #3

It is under the wheel well

So, my squeak seems to be directly above the wheel well. I have not crawled under there as yet because the rig is in the storage yard. I was on the phone with Newmar yesterday ordering some parts and had a friendly parts guy. I asked him how the floor was assembled. He stated it was Luan on top of plywood but did not know specifics about my model, which is understandable. There has to be some barrier between the elements and the plywood so I doubt I will see much. I am guessing it will take attacking it once again from the top, maybe this time with on organization that might be a bit innovative in order to fix it. I ordered 5 flooring tiles. Just a good idea to have them even if I do not pursue this issue. If there really is no support under the T&G I can only imagine what has to be done to install some. I will continue to gather some info and see where it goes. Maybe I can get a drawing from Newmar but Imagine they will want me to go to a dealer. The first time it was looked at I was handed a bill for $400.00 with a NO fix. I told them where to put it and they ate it. So mo monies invested as of yet.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #4

Just to advise that Newmar uses a flexible grout between tiles so it doesn't crack like normal tile grout might in a moving, shifting, bouncing vehicle.

The brochure for your RV (available from Newmar online) should give construction details on roof, floor, and walls.

I didn't even know they put real tile in a Baystar.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:17 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The tiles in the Bay Star are a vinyl (or similar material) tile, not ceramic or porcelain.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor