RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2018, 09:07 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Floor structure failure

My 2012 Canyon Star floor is sagging from the center chassis rail to the edge of the floor. The residential fridge sits above in the slide and the propane sits directly below. It’s most notable below the fridge but can also be felt below the entire kitchen slide to a less degree. Because of the propane talk Newmar may have left out an outrigger support.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best place to get the floor strengthened. I’m close to Northern Indiana. I have heard of Precision Paint in Bremen.

My last MH was a Fleetwood DP with the same problem but in that case the storage bays were hung from the bottom of the slide, something not done too often any longer. I called the MFR and of course they had “never heard of that before”.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2018, 10:59 AM   #2

Floor structure failure

Give Paul Conley *(574) 862-6778‬ a call. He used to run the Precision Paint repair and remodel division. He now owns his own shop in Waikarusa. Paul does excellent work and can deal with almost anything. He has worked on coaches for me for years.
His shop is at 66540 St Rd 19
Waikarusa IN 46573
United States

If you call him be persistent. He is a great worker and can do anything EXCEPT promptly return phone calls, but keep after it he is worth the wait and is very fair on pricing. All JMHO

Old 09-02-2018, 12:56 PM   #3

I would also call Newmar Factory and explain the issue. There is an outside chance that the Factory may want to help with this problem. The floor should NOT sag ... period. Best of luck/
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:01 PM   #4

Any chance you've got water damage to the floor? For example, a roof leak or leak around the refrigerator vent where rain or car-wash water runs down and collects on the floor and has rotted the floor?
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:14 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Sagging floor structure

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyS View Post
Any chance you've got water damage to the floor? For example, a roof leak or leak around the refrigerator vent where rain or car-wash water runs down and collects on the floor and has rotted the floor?
Woody, the wood floor consists of 2x3 lumber under a sheet of OSB and could be affected by water damage. However, the wood floor I just described is supported by steel square tubes that run across the chassis rails out to the edge of the floor. It is this steel structure that is literally bending down, I believe due to the weight above and bouncing down the road.

This is exactly the same issue I had in my last MH a Discovery DP. In that motor home the sagging floor was clearly visible to the eye on both sides of the center rails. Fleetwood had “never heard about a situation like that” and the estimated repair costs were many thousands.

I haven’t talked to Newmar yet having just discovered the issue.

Tags
floor