Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2022, 06:49 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Flooring upgrade 2005 DSDP

So after spending the better part of a year fearing and avoiding the job I finally started my flooring project.

Seemed so simple at first, out with the old, in with the new.

Other than the large amount of work involved there are a lot of little things that keep popping up. No t all of them have been solved yet but some things I'm still trying to decide how to handle.. For example the tile and plywood backing is near a half inch installed but the new vinyl flooring is just 5mm. So I'm thinking I may have to install some subflooring to raise the vinyl up but I see others who have not done that and it worked out. I'm concerned about the slides still working correctly. The transition to the (Corian?) stair surround is another issue. I don't want a large height difference, I see that as a tripping hazard. On the other hand I would like to keep it rather than replace it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221101_183216690.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	427.1 KB
ID:	380114   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221101_190009985.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	380115  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221101_203733755.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	558.8 KB
ID:	380116   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221101_224342915.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	589.1 KB
ID:	380117  

Swipular is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2022, 04:29 PM   #2

Been thinking about this also….I have the exact same floor in my 2002 DSDP
I have read numerous threads concerning this but it seems some people do nothing and have no issues with the slides, I’ve also read were some people buy larger rollers for the slide which I understand Newmar stocks.
mmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 09:31 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I was able to get all of the flooring out of the bedroom today and can say for certain that running both bedroom slides in and out with just the subfloor has no bad side effects. The slide does tilt a bit while running since the inboard rollers are lower but it squares up nicely in the end. The slides will most probably need to be adjusted but that will have to wait until the floors are done.

The only side I'm concerned about at this point is the kitchen. I slides on carpet on one side and tile on the other side so it may have two different size rollers. I plan to tile that slide tomorrow should should know for sure.

I talked to Newmar today and they confirmed they have different size rollers and can suggest new ones if needed after the flooring is installed.
Old 11-04-2022, 05:07 AM   #4

I've got a 2003 4006 which is pretty much the same plan (just kitchen on the other side). This is on my todo list -- just a big job. Significant other wants to just put carpet back down to "keep it simple" but i think either way, this is a heck of a job. I think the rollers and making sure things are "right" is what is going to be tough.

Oh, not to mention the split seems when the slides are all the way out. Looking forward to seeing what you do there.
Old 11-04-2022, 05:47 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
It's a big job no doubt and I'm not sure I would do it again at this point but I'm not to the satisfaction phase of having the new floor in yet so I may feel differently later.

My only flat floor slide is where the boot is which is across from the kitchen. I've been thinking long and hard about that also and even thought about just putting new carpet back on that slide but have decided to go with a suggestion I saw from Ernie Ekberg on one of the many flooring threads. Since I'm going with vinyl and it will not support itself, I'm going to put a layer of plywood on the slide and the vinyl plant on top of that. Some trim to finish the edge and with the proper measurements it should just sit on the top of the other floor when the slide is out. So this will make the slide not technically a "flat floor" slide but it's a more robust solution than many others I've seen.

One of the hardest parts for me was finding a place to do the job. I can't do it where I store the coach and can't do it at my house. Luckily a friend has a pad at his house for his coach so he is letting me use his driveway.
Old 11-04-2022, 12:47 PM   #6

We did the flooring on our 04 Essex in 2010 and it is really a job and after spending a lot of time to get the rollers correct for the big slide. I learned something, Newmar has well over 100 hundred different slide rollers assembly and it was a really problem getting the correct rollers. Was careful to get the wood replacement height the same as what we took out.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, flooring, upgrade