Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Fluid leak

If it's not one thing . . .

I went out to look at the uncooperative PT and noticed a damp spot under the rear of the coach. Stuck my finger in it. It's a clear liquid with a small amount of viscosity. I checked the area in storage where it was parked until yesterday and there are no spots there so it happened sometime overnight. I've enclosed two photos of the site of the leak. Can someone tell me what this is and how serious the problem might be? We're SUPPOSED to be leaving Wednesday morning for SC.

The back of the coach is at the bottom of the photo. If you tilt your head to the left, you'll see it as I saw it lying on the concrete under the coach. The leak is at the bottom left corner of that boxy thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	27583   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	27584  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry tilted or not I can't see it. It must be a very small leak.
Have you started the engine up and checked if it leaks faster?
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Looks like a coolant leak, is that the bottom of the radiator?
windydaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windydaboo View Post
Looks like a coolant leak, is that the bottom of the radiator?
Hard to tell where this is in relation to the radiator, but it looks to be near the level of the bottom of the radiator but slightly toward the front of the coach.

There's no drip now. It only leaked late last night or early this morning when it was coldest, around 30 degrees. We drove it a mile over to the house and parked it for the night.

All the truck stores are closed until Monday. We'll check the coolant level again and maybe pick up some extra anti-freeze just in case. Hope it's nothing that will leave us on the side of the road before we can get it checked. It looks like it would be a devil of a job to get in around the radiator and find a leak.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Is it a transmission cooler or hydraulic oil cooler?
It's strange looking. Is the fitting above leaking?..it may nned a little
re-tightening.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
RKL

fluid leak

it looks like the radiator clamp needs tightening or double clamps... Clue is that it dripped when temp was the lowest. this usually is indicative of a loose clamp...I don't think it is anything to worry about... I bet it stops leaking when it warms up or you start the engine.....RKL
Old 10-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I guess my next question is how in the world do you get in there to reach the clamps? I think this engine compartment was assembled with a shoe horn.

Will it be necessary for something to come out to reach the clamps? Starting to get cold again tonight. I'll get out after the sun is up tomorrow and do some more looking around.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I feel better already!
Old 10-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You should check that loose wire looks like a burn mark on it maybe tie away from the radiator.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
KIX

You may be able to get to the clamp tightening screw with a 1/4" ratchet and a short socket. ONce you loosen a little you could rotate it to a better position to get it tight
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #10
RKL

fluid leak

I think only the bottom clamp next to the radiator is loose....this one is usually the only leaking one RKL. tighten that first and observe....I would put a piece of cardboard under it and watch for any droplets.....RKL
Old 10-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I'll be out there crawling underneath trying to find the loose clamp today. I honestly don't know how I'll get to it; there's not a spare inch of space that I can see. Well, here goes! I'll report back after hubby drags me out from underneath the coach. Must remember to take the cell phone so I can call for help.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Just got in from under the coach. There is no way to check the bottom of the radiator from underneath; it seems to be sealed behind a barrier. (See first photo)
It may require taking off the "black stuff" that's screwed around the radiator. (See second photo). Looks like a big job.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	27641   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	27642  

Old 10-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Just got off the phone with Newmar and Freightliner.

First, the antifreeze I bought didn't have the same number as that on the sticker on the radiator but it's exactly what Freightliner uses; probably different number because I only bought a gallon. It's called Fleet Charge. I'll attach a photo in case you need some.

Second, I made an appointment at the local Freightliner shop in SC for when we get there. It was suggested that I pick up several gallons of antifreeze to take on the road with us just in case.

Third, since our Ventana is a 2011 with only about 8,000 miles, it is still under warranty with Freightliner and this will be covered.

Now I'm ready to hit the road.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	27711  
Old 10-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
OK, so we won't be getting the leak checked out here in South Carolina. We drove the car over to Summerville today so we'd be able to find the place tomorrow for our appointment. Talked to the service manager and was told that they only have one RV tech and he's working on a truck right now. We'd have to leave the coach there for several days until he could get to it. Then it could take several more days until they got any parts that were needed. And, no, we can't sleep in it at night, even if they're not working on it because it would be parked behind their security fence.

There's no way I'm leaving my coach with all my possessions in it at a shop for perhaps a week or more while I find a room to sleep in. If we were home, it would not be a big deal, but we're on the road.

Needless to say, we're going to drive it on down to Florida. I called North Trails in Fort Myers and they could take us in on Monday if we get there that soon. At least they let us sleep in our own bed if they keep the coach overnight.

What do you all do when you're on the road? Do you leave your coach with the shop for more than the day? Do you have to find a motel/hotel? How has it been to get service from Freightliner?

Tags
fluid, leak