RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2020, 08:22 AM   #1

FMCA Membership

Weíve had our DS for almost a year now and love it. One of the things I did was join FMCA and itís getting to the time to renew. Iím not sure I am going to and wanted to get yíalls opinion.

Iím self-employed and use the DS to work out on a very regular basis, I compete in AKC Retriever Field Trials also, and we use the DS for family and recreation. All of this amounts to over 120 nights a year. All of our mileage is going to a specific place for a specific time and then back home. It's a traveling hotel.

Iím inundated with emails from FMCA about all kinds of stuff especially all the rallyís they have, none of which we can attend due to my current schedule.

I really donít pay attention to all of it and Iím wondering if Iím missing something or is this just not for me?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2020, 10:11 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We think it's worth it, at least for our case.

We also were questioning the value until we went to our first rally, where our kids had a blast for the whole event (our kids both have special needs and the volunteers who ran the programs said "no problem" unlike another major RV'er organization). That cemented their value, especially in DW's eyes. With the kids taken care of we were able to enjoy the seminars and vendors at the rally.

A few years later they added the travel medical emergency program (FMCA Assist) which gives us peace of mind, even though we are both healthy bad things can happen away from home.

We also found that their roadside assistance program was the least expensive of all the programs that cover motorized RV's including the one offered by our RV insurance company. We signed up for multiple years to make it even cheaper.

Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:13 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Been a member since 1989 still feel it well worth the annual investment to be a member. All's it takes is to use 1 of the services offered to re-coup the annual membership costs and then some. If you do not want the emails just opt out of receiving them, any takes a minute to unsubscribe!
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:50 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I look at it differently, the FMCA is an organization that fights for the rights of RVers. It tries to develop deals on tires, WiFi, health care, rallies with new RV products and a place for RVers to gather.

Many look at it and say, what will it provide me and if it isn't substantial, they don't join or don't renew. Sometimes you just need to support an organization that supports you. I liken it to people that go to an electronics store, check out a particular item and then run home and save $6.00 by buying it on Amazon. Then they wonder why the electronic store went out of business.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:17 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Like you I joined but haven't attended any rallies due to schedule however, the member benefit of assistance in medical emergency at no extra cost is worth the membership cost.

Getting ready to renew in a couple of months.

Drive safe and enjoy - Richard
Old 03-11-2020, 05:28 PM   #6

We just renewed. It's a great organization that like DSD said, fight for our rights. As a motorcycle rider and owner, I'm an AMA member since they work hard on my behalf. I'm retired now, but as a golf course superintendent I belonged to the GCSAA for 35 years. We don't attend a lot of big rallies, or get togethers but I like knowing someone has my back. The fees are very reasonable and worth every penny to us.
GCSuper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:31 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I look at it differently, the FMCA is an organization that fights for the rights of RVers. It tries to develop deals on tires, WiFi, health care, rallies with new RV products and a place for RVers to gather.

Many look at it and say, what will it provide me and if it isn't substantial, they don't join or don't renew. Sometimes you just need to support an organization that supports you. I liken it to people that go to an electronics store, check out a particular item and then run home and save $6.00 by buying it on Amazon. Then they wonder why the electronic store went out of business.
My 2 cents is: I totally agree with Dutch Star Don....
They are there when we may need them to help us with tires, WiFi and many other extras...
In this day and age, we (RV'ers) stand alone, the more resources that we can call on, the better. You never know when you might need that extra help.
zonie911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:14 PM   #8

We have been members for 19 years and believe that they offer many benefits to support the RV lifestyle. We have attended a number of the International Rallys and used several of the benefits that they offer over the years. Even without those advantages, just the FMCA Assist benefit is worth the annual fee.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:36 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

Well said DSD👏👏👏

Jerry & Judy, Fremont, California
2017 Dutch Star 4018
Freightliner, HWH Active Air
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:09 PM   #10

I joined FMCA. Being new to the whole RV world and knowing nothing at the time (and only slightly more now!), I figured they would be a resource for learning and protecting me against myself if I made a stupid mistake. Besides that, I believe in supporting organizations that support those who engage in the activity that they serve.

I do have a somewhat FMCA related new guy question - I do get lots of FMCA emails promoting their "rallies". So I'll now fall on my sword and ask - what is a rally? I get that it's a get together of members and their RV's, but what happens there? Is it just a chance to get together with other RV owners and talk about RV's? I guess I'm missing something here.....can anyone fill in the blanks for me?

EDIT - One more question. They sent me a big oval plastic plaque that I'm apparently supposed to attach to the ladder on the back of my coach. Why are we supposed to do that? I'm really inclined not to, because quite frankly I just don't much care for the way it looks. I certainly will if it serves some sort of purpose, but if there is one I certainly don't know anything about it.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:41 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
I joined FMCA. Being new to the whole RV world and knowing nothing at the time (and only slightly more now!), I figured they would be a resource for learning and protecting me against myself if I made a stupid mistake. Besides that, I believe in supporting organizations that support those who engage in the activity that they serve.

I do have a somewhat FMCA related new guy question - I do get lots of FMCA emails promoting their "rallies". So I'll now fall on my sword and ask - what is a rally? I get that it's a get together of members and their RV's, but what happens there? Is it just a chance to get together with other RV owners and talk about RV's? I guess I'm missing something here.....can anyone fill in the blanks for me?

EDIT - One more question. They sent me a big oval plastic plaque that I'm apparently supposed to attach to the ladder on the back of my coach. Why are we supposed to do that? I'm really inclined not to, because quite frankly I just don't much care for the way it looks. I certainly will if it serves some sort of purpose, but if there is one I certainly don't know anything about it.
Great question.....!

Here is a page from the FMCA web page in regards to rally information. I believe it will give you a small insight as to what happens at rallies. I can tell you from experience - - you can't do everything that is offered - they keep you as busy as you sent. And you may make some lasting friendships along the way.

https://www.fmca.com/fmca-tucson-2020-entertainment

Seminars:

https://www.fmca.com/pdfs/tucson_202...eminarList.pdf

As far as the "....big oval plastic plaque" they sent you - no need place that anywhere on your rig - - it's optional but does identify you to other RVers you are a FMCA member who may just strike up a friendly conversation.

Welcome to the FMCA family....oh - the FMCA web site also has a member's forum, not unlike iRV2 where you can chat with other FMCA members about many things from attending a rally, local chapters, etc.

g

Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote