Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2016, 07:26 PM   #1

Folding cockpit table

Thinking about buying a new Bay Star Sport 2903. Neither of the ones we have seen have this table. Can anyone tell me if this is an item a dealer can install, or does it have to come from the factory with the table attached?
Thanks.
rockytopnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2016, 07:28 PM   #2
TDL

Need a picture.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:41 PM   #3

I would think it could be installed by a dealer. It simply bolts the the doghouse. We use ours all the time.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:48 PM   #4

That's what I was thinking; thanks. It looks very useful, and the space looks awfully empty without it
Old 08-29-2016, 07:46 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Any chance of getting a picture?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:51 AM   #6

So here are three pics from my 3004. First is full stowed. There is a removable tray for loose items that has to be removed before you raise the table, lest it all dumps on the floor.

The second is of the mechanism which is screwed to both the doh house cover and to the floor under the dash. You will need to remove the screws in the floor when you want access to the engine. not a big deal.

Lastly is the table setup for use. I did not rotate the chairs but they do and can face the table, or the rear.

Sorry for the pictures being sideways. They were not taken that way and look correct on the PC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0863.jpg
Views:	970
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	137476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0864.jpg
Views:	1030
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	137477  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0865.jpg
Views:	810
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	137478  

Old 08-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #7

It costs about $1000 to add one after the fact I have the quote from newmar somewhere if you need it. I'm surprised that you can't lift the doghouse up with it attached, does it not pivot far enough without hitting the dash?
Old 08-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #8

If you zoom in on the top right picture, you can see 4 screws securing both the base of the table base to the dog house and a metal piece that attaches to the flooring under the radio/dash and it is not a hinge. There is an identical one of the passenger side of the base.

The only way I can see to get to the engine through the doghouse is to remove the bracket at the front, remove the fasteners holding the doghouse down and remove the table and doghouse at the same time. Not that big of an issue I suspect.

It takes a couple of times of setting the table up to remember how its done. Only takes a few seconds after the first try or two.

They must be charging $250 labor to install it. Seem I remember the price of the table was $750.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:43 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the pictures, really slick, might have to think about this. I like that it has little storage pockets for putting stuff in. Looks good as a table, this would make intermediate stops (lunch, snack...) a little easier.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
If you zoom in on the top right picture, you can see 4 screws securing both the base of the table base to the dog house and a metal piece that attaches to the flooring under the radio/dash and it is not a hinge. There is an identical one of the passenger side of the base.

The only way I can see to get to the engine through the doghouse is to remove the bracket at the front, remove the fasteners holding the doghouse down and remove the table and doghouse at the same time. Not that big of an issue I suspect.

It takes a couple of times of setting the table up to remember how its done. Only takes a few seconds after the first try or two.

They must be charging $250 labor to install it. Seem I remember the price of the table was $750.
In theory, it is correct that it is "Not that big of an issue". However, in reality, the worse part is getting it back on and finding the holes for those pesky screws forward into the firewall. I spent more time finding the screw holes than the entire process of taking off the doghouse cover (with the table). I would make this recommendation:
1. Remove the screws going forward into the firewall
2. Before ever moving the cover/table, insert something into the screw holes to mark their location. Maybe a wire, a nail, a screw with the head sawn off. SOMETHING to mark to holes location. This "whatever" would need to be able to allow the table's bracket holes to thread over the marker, off then on.

Believe me, the carpeting is very sparse, but thick enough to conceal the holes. In frustration, once I removed the doghouse cover/table AGAIN just to find the screw holes, I pulled out the carpeting yarn around the holes just to reveal the site and Sharpie marked it. Even then it was difficult. I think a long wire stuck in the hole might be the ticket.

When ordering our coach, our salesman was not very fond of the table. However we were and thought we could learn the tricks of erecting and collapsing, that he didn't know. We have learned and we like the table. We even us it in another position not shown above. Table up, slide forward and table top not opened up.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
No that was the quote to get the parts from the factory, table, insert, piece that goes under the doghouse to back it for the weight of the table, that did not include installation as I asked the factory directly.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:49 AM   #12

Tom thanks for submitting the pics. I've been wanting to buy or build
some kind of console since we bought our coach. Something like the first pic would
work out fine.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:12 PM   #13

We got a quote of $1300 for parts only, no assembly or installation. We will be looking at other options for that space
Old 09-04-2016, 06:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytopnc View Post
We got a quote of $1300 for parts only, no assembly or installation. We will be looking at other options for that space
Who gave you the quote? Did you call Newmar directly? If the dealer quoted it, you might consider ordering a new unit from Newmar and get what you want.