Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2020, 03:32 PM   #71

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Yes they are actively trying to “convert” anyone who has or can have fast WiFi in their home, to streaming. They don’t want or care about ( in my opinion ) those rural customers without connectivity or those mobile like rv’ers. The executive in charge has said just this. Once it’s been bled for all they can they will sell it. There is still a need in remote areas they don’t want that business
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2020, 08:39 AM   #72

Newmar Owners Club
DirecTV

Tks for reminding me I have to MAKE myself call AGAIN to see if I can succeed in getting a DTV customer retention representative - who KNOWS what they are doing. Every time I have to talk to DTV it’s a 2+ hr painful ordeal to get my price lowered! They outsourced to idiots! I’d rather have a tooth pulled!!! Don’t you just LOVE how they inch up your bill every month? They were BAD before AT&T, now—- there aren’t words to express how angry they make me—— but— is Dish really better? Experienced people I know personally have told me they are not.
We too have our rig tv on the house DTV account.
Andrena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:44 AM   #73

Hopefully people aren't in my situation......to many 100 ft plus trees in neighbors yards to be able to switch to Dish......very narrow opening to even get Direct.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:02 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrena View Post
Tks for reminding me I have to MAKE myself call AGAIN to see if I can succeed in getting a DTV customer retention representative - who KNOWS what they are doing. Every time I have to talk to DTV it’s a 2+ hr painful ordeal to get my price lowered! They outsourced to idiots! I’d rather have a tooth pulled!!! Don’t you just LOVE how they inch up your bill every month? They were BAD before AT&T, now—- there aren’t words to express how angry they make me—— but— is Dish really better? Experienced people I know personally have told me they are not.
We too have our rig tv on the house DTV account.
I had DTV for over 25 years. Switched to Dish and could not be happier. We never have any issues IF we need to call them, which is seldom. We have it for the house and move it to the RV as needed. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:36 PM   #75

I have a 2015 Dutch Star 4018 and have been considering switching from DTV to Dish.
Has anyone using DTV and a Winegard Trav'ler roof dish switched to Dish and kept track of all the cost involved doing so? I have 2 TVs so not sure what cost that would be also.
I don't know what all the Dish units do or need to have. Hopper, Joey, etc are all Greek to me.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:51 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbe111 View Post
We prefer "facts over truth"

We have had Dish for years, $7.00 per month to add the motorhome is unbeatable. Does Direct TV have anything to compete with that?
Direct TV was swallowed by Comcast yrs ago....Comcast had the poorest rep in the cable business..here in portland they actually changed there name..

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...0MD25Y20150317
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:09 PM   #77

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyezOpen View Post
Direct TV was swallowed by Comcast yrs ago....Comcast had the poorest rep in the cable business..here in portland they actually changed there name..

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...0MD25Y20150317
Read the article again, EyezOpen. DirectTv was purchased by AT&T, not Comcast.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:24 AM   #78

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I have a 2015 Dutch Star 4018 and have been considering switching from DTV to Dish.
Has anyone using DTV and a Winegard Trav'ler roof dish switched to Dish and kept track of all the cost involved doing so? I have 2 TVs so not sure what cost that would be also.
I don't know what all the Dish units do or need to have. Hopper, Joey, etc are all Greek to me.
Cost depends on how much DTV equipment is hard wired into your coach and whether it is also pre-wired for Dish. In my case, I had a great deal of stuff that had to come out to make the switch. Ball parking:

Conversion kit for Trav'ler: $350.00
2 Dish receivers (Wally). $99.00
Service work to re-wire system - $350.00

You probably want the Wally, as the other Dish receivers need internet access to be fully functional.

Also check to see if your rig is already pre-wired for Dish. Dish CANNOT use the same internal cabling as your DTV installation.

Here is a link to the thread I started to discuss my transition. PM me if you have further questions.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/dir...sh-476243.html
MD-Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:36 AM   #79

The cost of the kit to convert the Traveler antenna was in the $500.00. The cost of receivers/DVD/bridges etc. is same as in a home. I did not do the conversion we had it done as part of a major renovation.

The total cost was just under $1200.00 for the conversion kit, Hopper, Joey, switch, hub, consumables, and labor.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:58 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
The best info out there on making the conversion as well as costs can be found at one of our member's websites here. I followed these directions and converted my own with no problems. You can purchase your own receiver or order one from Dish with your subscription. Contrary to other's "opinions", a Hopper does not need to be connected to the internet to function properly and receive TV. It does have to be connected to use On Demand and for receiver updates. If you use it at home and move it to the RV as needed, there is no need for a connection. Ours connects to our WiFi that we use for internet connection in the RV while traveling. It has been working perfectly. Chuck
Old 03-24-2020, 08:00 AM   #81

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anyone have a Mogul receiver on RV roof ?
Old 03-25-2020, 06:41 AM   #82

This thread forced me to look at my bill again.

$148 for the channels. This is a little high but not so high that I'd switch to streaming due to the fact that it would take a couple of packages to get everything we want. Some of the streaming packages look good until you realize the promotional pricing eventually expires.

However, the add-ons are a killer. Nearly $60 just to have the equipment hooked up, have a DVR and watch HD. This is absolutely robbery. They didn't install a single component in this house, I don't use any of their networking components as I hardwired the house with CAT 6 during construction.

They are forcing me to leave them and very soon. I don't even feel like playing the game of calling, threatening to leave and then getting a small discount for a year that springs back.

I think that Netflix and YouTube TV w/HBO are going to cover me.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:54 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD-Keith View Post
Cost depends on how much DTV equipment is hard wired into your coach and whether it is also pre-wired for Dish. In my case, I had a great deal of stuff that had to come out to make the switch. Ball parking:

Conversion kit for Trav'ler: $350.00
2 Dish receivers (Wally). $99.00
Service work to re-wire system - $350.00

You probably want the Wally, as the other Dish receivers need internet access to be fully functional.

Also check to see if your rig is already pre-wired for Dish. Dish CANNOT use the same internal cabling as your DTV installation.

Here is a link to the thread I started to discuss my transition. PM me if you have further questions.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/dir...sh-476243.html
Why can't a Dish receiver use the coax that DTV uses? In all the years I've wired up sat systems I found coax is coax is coax. Admittedly I never dealt with DTV but I know people who have just changed out receivers and antenna, turned them on, and it works.
xyzabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:08 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzabc View Post
Why can't a Dish receiver use the coax that DTV uses? In all the years I've wired up sat systems I found coax is coax is coax. Admittedly I never dealt with DTV but I know people who have just changed out receivers and antenna, turned them on, and it works.
You are absolutely correct. There is no such thing as DirecTV or Dish coax. If you previously had DirecTV, just connect the Dish to that coax. Some receivers for Dish, the Hopper, will require a DPH42 switch from the Travl'r to the interior of the coach. It's a lot easier than it seems. My changeover took me a total of about one hour. Chuck