RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2020, 04:39 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd727 View Post
Some of the streaming packages look good until you realize the promotional pricing eventually expires.
^^^ CORRECT!!! ^^^

NEVER compare costs without finding out what the regular month-to-month pricing is (i.e. without promotional discounts).

Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2020, 09:31 PM   #86

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
^^^ CORRECT!!! ^^^

NEVER compare costs without finding out what the regular month-to-month pricing is (i.e. without promotional discounts).

Mike
X2

All utilities dollar and five dollar you to death. Use to be nickel and dime you to death, but that was a long time ago.

CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:36 PM   #87

Excel Owners Club
When you talk about a company like AT&T, so many people have had bad dealings with them that the thread is like the Energizer Bunny, it keeps on going and going and going, ad nauseam.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:40 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
^^^ CORRECT!!! ^^^

Mike
For sure.

We did sign up to go to Dish with a promotional discount yesterday, but there's a two-year price guarantee. I can deal with that. I hope within two years I can get my wife on board with streaming and dumping satellite altogether. We'll see.

We'll be saving $60 a month over DTV, and that's at current DTV pricing. If recently history is any indication, DTV will go up again 3 or 4 times in the next couple of years. And, this offer includes a $300 gift card.

My wife says she's OK with not having Dish in the RV -- we'll see how long that lasts.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:02 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzabc View Post
Why can't a Dish receiver use the coax that DTV uses? In all the years I've wired up sat systems I found coax is coax is coax. Admittedly I never dealt with DTV but I know people who have just changed out receivers and antenna, turned them on, and it works.
My 2015 Dutch Star came from the factory with Winegard Trav'ler on the roof and set up for DTV since that was who we were using the the coach was ordered. And the dealer hooked up the 2 receivers before we picked it up.

Does this mean a lot of re-cabling for Dish, and is all this conversion something the dealer can/would do? I'm in no shape to be climbing around on the roof and not enough technology knowledge to do any rewiring.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:25 PM   #90

Location: Knock knock knockin on Marcus Lemonis' door. GIVE BACK OUR FUEL DISCOUNT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
My 2015 Dutch Star came from the factory with Winegard Trav'ler on the roof and set up for DTV since that was who we were using the the coach was ordered. And the dealer hooked up the 2 receivers before we picked it up.

Does this mean a lot of re-cabling for Dish, and is all this conversion something the dealer can/would do? I'm in no shape to be climbing around on the roof and not enough technology knowledge to do any rewiring.
There's no "recabling" at all - just replacing the LNB receiver antenna in the dome for the Dish unit, and reprogramming it for the Dish satellite locations. They sell a kit ($500 apparently) for doing this.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:09 AM   #91

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
There's no "recabling" at all - just replacing the LNB receiver antenna in the dome for the Dish unit, and reprogramming it for the Dish satellite locations. They sell a kit ($500 apparently) for doing this.
This is not necessarily the case. Depending on the extent of the DTV system installed on the coach, this can be a much, much more complicated process than just replacing the LNB and re-programming the unit. I just went through this with two qualified Dish installers and it was several days of testing, checking and re-wiring before we were able to get it right. Fortunately for us, our Mountain Aire was also pre-wired for Dish, but there are several glitches which can develop -- among them the fact that you cannot split a Dish incoming signal cable for separate receivers as you can with DTV.

I think its still worth doing, but its potentially more of a challenge than is often indicated here. (depending on your coach.)
MD-Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:08 PM   #92

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD-Keith View Post
This is not necessarily the case. Depending on the extent of the DTV system installed on the coach, this can be a much, much more complicated process than just replacing the LNB and re-programming the unit. I just went through this with two qualified Dish installers and it was several days of testing, checking and re-wiring before we were able to get it right. Fortunately for us, our Mountain Aire was also pre-wired for Dish, but there are several glitches which can develop -- among them the fact that you cannot split a Dish incoming signal cable for separate receivers as you can with DTV.

I think its still worth doing, but its potentially more of a challenge than is often indicated here. (depending on your coach.)
Depends, if you use a DPH42 DISH Pro Hybrid 42 Switch I think you can. I hope you can because that is what I am having installed for my conversion to Dish. See link below.

DPH42_Installation.pdf
Old 03-27-2020, 01:04 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD-Keith View Post

Gee, an installer taking a long time to sort things out. Yes, multiple receivers can be installed with dish service, you just need things like a hybrid solo node depending on which receivers you use. With the Hopper 3, you get the Joey's for multiple TVs and no extra connection are needed. They connect to the Hopper wirelessly. This is a little more complicated but shows you just what is possible, so have look here at what another of our members did. Chuck
chuckbear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:16 PM   #94

Freightliner Owners Club
We were replacing two "independent" DTV receivers, such that different channels could be watched on the two TV's. From my understanding (could be wrong) Joeys just relay the signal from the main Hopper, so that would not have worked for us I believe. Our first attempt was to make the changes to the Traveller rooftop antenna, and then just use the existing DTV wiring to accomplish our goal -- Wrong. The DTV connection had several splitters and amplifiers that would not work with Dish. We then pulled all the DTV hardware, but still no luck.

Then, we found that our Mountain Aire had been pre-wired for Dish (forward and rear connections), but that each of these connections needed its own coax connection at the Traveller. Success at last.

Next step. We have two Sats -- the Traveller and an in-motion dome. It may well be possible to use the Dish splitter mentioned just above to restore the option to use the in-motion. But I am quite content for now to enjoy what I have before embarking on another coax-chasing adventure.

These were tough challenges to solve, because the 3 relevant parties -- Newmar, Dish, and Winegard pretty much said everything was the other guys fault. It was not elegant, it was not efficient, but it works now...
Old 03-27-2020, 05:26 PM   #95

Monaco Owners Club
Just on the comment about the joey .. yes it uses the Hopper and wireless if you chose that version (1 wire to the hopper only) The joey can watch any channel it wants independent of what the hopper is doing as long as the hopper is on and in range. Sounds like you ran into a lot of buck passing by people who didn't know what they were doing , but I'm glad you got it fixed
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:25 PM   #96

Wow, changing from DTV to Dish is certainly not as simple as it sounds. Having to determine if the coach is pre-wired for Dish and what all extra wiring has to be done seems like a problem that needs to be sorted out before starting this change.

I'm afraid this might be one of those situations where the new change wouldn't work and too far along to go back to the old way. Trying to work with Newmar, Winegard, and Dish could be a nightmare as each blames the other for problems.
Appreciate all the suggestions, ideas, and advice.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:06 AM   #97

Freightliner Owners Club
Wagonmaster - Here are some points to consider as you contemplate the switchover based on my experience.

1. See if your coach is pre-wired for Dish. Check your AV cabinet (and the rear bedroom cabinet). On the back wall of the cabinet you should see a male coax fitting which should be marked as Dish TV if the coach is pre-wired. This would be good news for it makes the whole thing much, much easier.

2. Try to find a qualified Dish installer who has experience with RV installation. I could not find one locally, so I used a mobile service that I had used before for other work. That was a mistake. He lacked the expertise to do the job, despite putting a great deal of time into the effort (largely free of charge).

3. Finally, as is clear now, my lack of understanding on the basics of Dish receivers probably cost me both time and money. If previous comments about how Joeys work are correct, then the whole thing could have been done in a day. Call Dish and confirm what has been said about Joeys and you are a leg up on where I was.

4. The Winegard part of the process is pretty straightforward, and they are good to work with.

5. I clearly made some mistakes, but this is how we learn. I read a number of posts here that led me to believe this was going to be far simpler than it was. Do your research, find out what you have and what you need, and then try to find someone who knows what they are doing to put it all together. The process doesn't need to be as complicated as my adventure.

Send me a PM if you have any further questions/concerns.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:16 PM   #98

Rather than try to sort through the wiring and multiple coax connections in my Jayco 22J, I had a local RV shop install my Dish King roof mount and run two dedicated coax cables. One for the front TV and one for the rear. Worked great from the start.

Jetcraft is offline   Reply With Quote