RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2020, 05:03 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
For Direct TV users like me.

Read a article that said direct TV has about 2 more years or so to go and it will either be bought by Dish or go away completely. They are losing costumers very fast and internet TV is taking over. So if you're like me you better start thinking about converting you satellite to dish whether you like it or not, especially if you want your sports channels. The article said that there were alot of TV options out there except when it came to sports channels. Just a FYI.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2020, 05:55 PM   #2

We have Dish in the RV, and just a few months ago switched from DTV to Dish at home. Dish is much easier to deal with, especially in the RV. We use the Dish app to make all changed and change locals. Very easy.

GCSuper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:28 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Still have direct tv "going on over 20 years" - There are a lot of changes happening over the next few years "SpaceX - Starlink internet & 5G as an example". There is no sure bet on what is going to happen with Direct TV, but my .02 cents, is that Dish & DTV will merge at some point. So Dish could have to good deals for DTV converts to Dish. I just going to hold on and see what happens. It's not like they're going to stop sending the signal in the next few days.

2 years is a lifetime in the Tech world.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:26 AM   #4
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Directv owned by ATT. Moving content on to their internet/wireless systems (ATT TV). I suspect the satellite hardware will be sold soon.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:18 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Huh - - - - Interesting.

I have DirecTv at home and a Trav'ler dish & receiver in the motor home, which is part of my home account.

Moving to Dish wold not bother me as they give the same product and the customer service is rumored to be better if you believe the posters on iRV2.......and I have no reason not to!!

But - - as poor as the customer service is, DirecTv is a big money maker for ATT - hard to believe they'd give it up so soon......

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:29 AM   #6

The demise of DirecTV in two years has been predicted for the last 10 years. No one really knows the facts or the fiction. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:04 AM   #7

The demise as Chuck says was actually predictable. ATT bought out a company they knew nothing about, brought in upper managment that had no clue how to operate the business, changed the business model to suit their whims. In the process they totally forgot who pays their salaries and alinated their customer base. Thei shipped everything off shore in an effort to squeeze more money out of the business. Its all now comming home to roost. Customers are fleeing in droves, their equipment is garbage, the software package is for c=!]. Their only redeeming feature right now is some of the programming that Dish does not offer.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:19 AM   #8

This makes me chuckle. I read a year or so ago that within 10 years, satellite tv will no longer be available. They also said that cable tv providers will be focused on providing faster speeds of internet for "streaming" TV and that the big companies are currently developing their own streaming service. Our next RV we buy will not have a satellite dish at all and we'll be looking at putting that money into cell signal boosting. Only time will tell.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:25 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
This makes me chuckle. I read a year or so ago that within 10 years, satellite tv will no longer be available. They also said that cable tv providers will be focused on providing faster speeds of internet for "streaming" TV and that the big companies are currently developing their own streaming service. Our next RV we buy will not have a satellite dish at all and we'll be looking at putting that money into cell signal boosting. Only time will tell.
I think that the OP was looking at how long DTV will be around - My guess likely longer than two years, so I think he can jump to dish when it's the best time for him. My biggest open issue with streaming on the road is the plans have been getting hit "in the last 3 or 4 mts" - ATT dropped TOGO yearly plans, ATT dropped their tablet plan, OTR mobile is switching from ATT for TMobile with price increase, Visible is available for 40 to 25 depending on the plan, but have been see both good and bad comments about the performance or you need to have a cell phone that support HDMI output if your going to stream off the phone to one TV or RV HDMI matrix.

Unless you have one of the old unlimited plans "I have 2 unlimited hotspot plans which are not available & OTR Mobile", streaming could be an issue depending on where you go. Until Starlink internet or 5G & 4G plans get more defined for hotspot data with out jumping thru hardware work around. If you can not stream the data on the road because of data limits, boosting is not going to really help.

So, for me keeping DTV is not an issue as I'm waiting to see where everything lands & we likely stream about 75% of the time.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:41 PM   #10

We too have been DTV users for over 20yrs. We have a tripod set up for the 5 LNB dish--which is handy if there are lots of trees, but a pain to set up. This trip to a warmer clim--we decided to suspend DTV, buy an AT&T unlimited data plan and a new puk. Once on the road and I had some time--I subscribed to YouTube TV 5 day trial. It works great. Unlimited cloud storage for recorded shows, including our home locals. With MarchMadness coming this weekend--it'll be great as long as we have AT&T coverage--which we should. The ONLY downside I have found--forced ads (ones you cannot pause of FF once they start) on Love it or List it on HGTV--that's the only channel that has it. ALL the sports channels have no forced ads.
Once we get home--I'm gonna cancel DTV. I have noticed, and posted on DBSTalk how my ESPN HD college football is not HD. ABC, Fox, CBS etc are clear---ALL over the same dish and receiver. My conclusion is--DTV is lowering the bandwidth for ESPN channels so they can broadcast some channels in 4K.
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
Our next RV we buy will not have a satellite dish at all and we'll be looking at putting that money into cell signal boosting.
I think this will be the wave...SO many people now just streaming to tablets and even cell phones for movies, etc. I don't think you can go too wrong with this plan.

I just went to streaming TV at home, but using my cable internet. Under $50 buys a LOT of TV channels now, including locals, DVR services, etc. The cable company had boosted my TV to over $140 and I decided enough was enough. I have about 135 channels now on FUBO TV, 500 hours of DVR, can stream to three devices for $65 a month, no contract.
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:36 PM   #12

We left Directv almost a year ago. Directv is a subsidiary of ATT now. We had a DTV dish on our home and when AT&T buried fiber in the neighborhood we jumped at that chance and cancelled DTV. That was the beginning of a billing nightmare. DTV wouldn't take no for a answer. We called to cancel and they offered the moon for us to stay. I couldn't get it through their head that we stayed with AT&T. Anyway we had a credit card that payments would automatically come from. After the cancellation we got billed again on the card. A call to DTV got us a rep that refused to refund our money and told us if we cancel (remember we already did) we would be charged a cancellation fee. We had DTV for over 20 years and this is what they wanted to do?

We challenged the charge on the card and got reimbursed. We also tried to stop any future charges but that wasn't possible. We thought we had it resolved but we were billed again. Again, we disputed the charge and again we got our refund. Again we called DTV and they told us we had not cancelled. I had enough and blasted the supervisor to the point they hung up on me.

So the following month there was another charge on the card for DTV. I disputed that charge and cancelled the card. Bear in mind I had other debits coming from that card to pay other bills so this became a mess in getting a new card and all those billing accounts changed over to the new card.

Something I was told by the cc company was if DTV were to find the new card number they could start charging again because of the original authorization. Needless to say DTV sent us to collections and it took a AT&T rep to finally resolve their issues.

If DTV was the last satellite company in the world I would just take antenna tv and be satisfied. Dealing with their customer service is a nightmare and I still get a come back to us offer every couple of months.

We went to Dish for the RV program and we are fine with it.

We also purchased a Amazon fire stick and I'm not that happy with it. If you don't use it regularly you have to re login into every network you want to watch. It's a pain in the a$$.
Fefanatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:43 PM   #13

Here's an article from the LA Times in early February regarding DirecTV.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-sunday-ticket

“We’re kind of done,” AT&T Chairman and Chief Executive Randall Stephenson said in late 2018 of the satellite program.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:00 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is sad to see what a once great company (AT&T) has become. AT&T has so much invested in fiber that they have to try and get everyone to switch to their fiber service.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote