Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2018, 08:33 PM   #1

Forward TV turns off when engine starts

I know this is a planned "safety" feature, but I would like to use the TV that is over the windshield for GPS and Silverleaf functions. Is there any way to override this power function so that the TV is usable with the engine running?

I thought of an extension cord, but cant seem to get access to the cords behind the TV
Bobschle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2018, 08:52 PM   #2
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
It would seem that the rationale for disabling the TV while the engine is running would apply regardless of what is being displayed. Not sure how you could safely view GPS or SilverLeaf displays while underway.

The technical answer to your question is that power to the TV is likely controlled by a relay that is activated when the key is in the on position. Isolate that relay and disconnect the key-on power lead that opens the relay contacts. Without activation of the relay, power to the TV will not be interrupted.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:23 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
On 18 DS there is a 4 inch electric box behind the tv, it has a 110 outlet and a cut off relay cone Ted to the key on position, when 12 volts is present 110 is cut off. It has two yellow wires when unplugged 110 is on all of the time. Not sure if legal for GPS and also unless gps is high def , don’t think you will like the picture. Hope this helps Stuart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6275.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	213358  
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:21 AM   #4

How does one get to the relay? This has me puzzled.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:58 AM   #5

If you pull one of the wood vents off behind the TV (they are siliconed on. You can use a thin putty knife to pry one loose) you will see a 4" metal box up behind the TV. Just unplug the white plug with the two yellow wires. The TV outlet will then be hot all the time.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:40 AM   #6
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:59 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Will look like this, but only on plug not two
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7124.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	213402  
Old 08-01-2018, 08:17 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ya know someone was going to "go there" so I will save the embarrassment of others and sacrifice myself for the sake of the community. LOL

I'm not going to even try to provide any legal/statute references to justify my thoughts but common sense and abundant real life experiences should be sufficient.

1. Displays built into the dash and dash mounted GPS displays are legal.
2. Operating TVs viewable by the driver are NOT legal.

Seems pretty simple.

If you have that big center TV on there are many situations where it will be easily visible by any LEO sitting on the side of the road or simply passing you.

If anyone wants to get into a road side, semantics debate with a LEO over this be my guest. I think it is asking for more problems than you want to pay for.

As a pilot I am also sensitive to how displays and instruments are located. Creating a situation where looking up and to the right to read and interpret information that is normally not essential seems counter productive. It could be worse than the distracted driving we bitterly complain about when cell phone users try to side swipe us from an entrance ramp.

[Somewhat tongue-in-cheek] If one really wants all this information and can't arrange info devices in a logical manner that keeps the eyes closer to the road then get a glass cockpit and a HUD. That will allow one to pretend to be a fighter pilot while keeping their eyes more directly on the road.

PS...I just KNOW someone is going to bring up small computer displays used to display Silverleaf. IMO, mounted discreetly they won't be detected by LEOs but that still could be a distracted driving situation.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:23 AM   #9

All the above points are valid. We never use the TV while driving. Tried it once and it really does draw your eyes to it if nothing else for the commercials. There is a reason that interlock is on there. I put mine back on, but it's the end user's choice as far as I'm concerned.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:27 PM   #10

My dash has 3 screens VMSPC, Infotainment GPS system, Silverleaf screen.

We use ours all the time for a 40" GPS for my copilot. She airplays her iPhone GPS to the TV and she checks out areas we are going to on satellite view. I have my own GPS in the dash but she is always looking way down the road for potential problems.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vGJ2%TvtQiCMfOX7jNuRyg.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	213496  

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:12 PM   #11

I mounted my TV on my dash, that way it's legal for me to watch it while driving.
Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:24 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinfla View Post
There is a reason that interlock is on there. I put mine back on, but it's the end user's choice as far as I'm concerned.
Not really if the law says it can't be on while in motion. Then it's up to the LEO that stops you.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:39 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Forward TV turns off when engine starts

This is a interesting conversation, some of the new pickup trucks and SUV’s are coming a 12 inch display in the center of the dash!so the question comes up, when is a front TV not a TV? I think you would have a strong argument if it is indeed being used as a GPS.
I believe in California gps use is legal.

See (B)subdivision

California VEHICLE CODE - VEH
DIVISION 12. EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES [24000 - 28160] ( Division 12 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )
CHAPTER 5. Other Equipment [27000 - 28160] ( Chapter 5 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

ARTICLE 5. Fenders, Ornaments, and Television [27600 - 27607] ( Article 5 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

(a) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle if a television receiver, a video monitor, or a television or video screen, or any other similar means of visually displaying a television broadcast or video signal that produces entertainment or business applications, is operating and is located in the motor vehicle at a point forward of the back of the driver’s seat, or is operating and the monitor, screen, or display is visible to the driver while driving the motor vehicle.
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to the following equipment when installed in a vehicle:
(1) A vehicle information display.
(2) A global positioning display.
(3) A mapping display.
(4) A visual display used to enhance or supplement the driver’s view forward, behind, or to the sides of a motor vehicle for the purpose of maneuvering the vehicle.
(5) A television receiver, video monitor, television or video screen, or any other similar means of visually displaying a television broadcast or video signal, if that equipment satisfies one of the following requirements:
(A) The equipment has an interlock device that, when the motor vehicle is driven, disables the equipment for all uses except as a visual display as described in paragraphs (1) to (4), inclusive.
(B) The equipment is designed, operated, and configured in a manner that prevents the driver of the motor vehicle from viewing the television broadcast or video signal while operating the vehicle in a safe and reasonable manner.
(6) A mobile digital terminal that is fitted with an opaque covering that does not allow the driver to view any part of the display while driving, even though the terminal may be operating, installed in a vehicle that is owned or operated by any of the following:
(A) An electrical corporation, as defined in Section 218 of the Public Utilities Code.
(B) A gas corporation, as defined in Section 222 of the Public Utilities Code.
(C) A sewer system corporation, as defined in Section 230.6 of the Public Utilities Code.
(D) A telephone corporation, as defined in Section 234 of the Public Utilities Code.
(E) A water corporation, as defined in Section 241 of the Public Utilities Code.
(F) A local publicly owned electric utility, as defined in Section 224.3 of the Public Utilities Code.
(G) A city, joint powers agency, or special district, if that local entity uses the vehicle solely in the provision of sewer service, gas service, water service, or wastewater service.
(c) Subdivision (a) does not apply to a mobile digital terminal installed in an authorized emergency vehicle or to a motor vehicle providing emergency road service or roadside assistance.
(d) Subdivision (a) does not apply to a mobile digital terminal installed in a vehicle when the vehicle is deployed in an emergency to respond to an interruption or impending interruption of electrical, natural gas, telephone, sewer, water, or wastewater service, and the vehicle is owned or operated by any of the following:
(1) An electrical corporation, as defined in Section 218 of the Public Utilities Code.
(2) A gas corporation, as defined in Section 222 of the Public Utilities Code.
(3) A sewer system corporation, as defined in Section 230.6 of the Public Utilities Code.
(4) A telephone corporation, as defined in Section 234 of the Public Utilities Code.
(5) A water corporation, as defined in Section 241 of the Public Utilities Code.
(6) A local publicly owned electric utility, as defined in Section 224.3 of the Public Utilities Code.
(7) A city, joint powers agency, or special district, if that local entity uses the vehicle solely in the provision of sewer service, gas service, water service, or wastewater service.
(Amended by Stats. 2010, Ch. 328, Sec. 231. (SB 1330) Effective January 1, 2011.)

Tags
engine