Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2015, 05:44 PM   #1

Four battery pack 2015 newmar 2903

On our maiden voyage we had problems with our battery pack. The two factory installed battery system just didn't last while dry camping. So, I bought the big system. Already had two solar panels on the roof hooked up to the batteries thru the controller shown in the picture. This was ideal , but when you install a magnum 2000 watt inverter, the battery just would not hold. Went to my mechanic , which told me of the start that I need more batteries, and rebuilt the system. First off to the body shop where the frame was built to hold the batteries. As you can see in the pictures, it was a tight fit. Even the engine battery was moved a small amount. As the picture show the system sits behind the molded front bumper. In a 2014 this area is a little shorter, which only means you see more of the batteries. In my 2015, as you can see in the pictures its hidden from sight. New Mar engineers stated that the air flow is mostly from below so there was no significant air flow blockage. Now I can use the microwave , coffee maker. and watch TV. No problem with my wife's hair blower, works just fine on battery power. By mid afternoon the solar has almost completely changed the system. But you can start your generator, turn on the 100 amp battery charger and top off your batteries. I have RV camped for 25 years and this is by far the best system. Also you don't need a surge protector, the magnum 2000 watt pure sine inverter watches everything. Can't go wrong.
Attached Images

zrobotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 06:17 PM   #2

Very nice, how many panels?
Old 08-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #3

Jim,

Thanks for sharing some photos of your new solar electric setup.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:46 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jim have added this thread and your rear window install in Bay Star section of QT's # 3.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:57 AM   #5

There are two 130 watt panels
Old 08-11-2015, 11:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrobotman View Post
There are two 130 watt panels
I have 4 - 6volt batteries and 1 - 150 watt panel on my 2903 Baystar. I am going to up it to 450 watts hopefully in September. I am hoping that will do it for me. Is 4 batteries enough? I do have the 2000 watt inverter also.
roadtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:35 AM   #7

Four batteries and more than two panels should last a long time depending on your usage.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:37 AM   #8

We use a coffee pot in the morning (keurig with K cups), lights & TV at night & sometimes the gas furnace. If we could accomplish that we would be extremely happy!! Coffee pot is the big one and it has worked with just the one panel but can be a struggle. We can't wait to add more!
Old 08-13-2015, 07:21 AM   #9

I have just two 130 watt panels and it is more than enough
Old 08-13-2015, 07:24 AM   #10

Roadtraveler it is not the panel that make the system strong , its the four battery back that gives AMP HOURS.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Roadtraveler it is not the panel that make the system strong , its the four battery back that gives AMP HOURS.
Seems like mine is always charging and never tops off. I was told I needed more panels to get a full charge. Someone else here mentioned that the batteries might not be connected or working properly. I was just thinking one panel was not enough. I better check my batteries.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:10 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I thihenk that most of Newmar's gas models has room for the batteries in the compartment in front of the fresh water tank. That is where I laid 4 Lifeline L16 AGMs for 800 AH of battery power and the Magnum inverter/charger and Outback solar controller connected to 3 Mitsubishi 255 watt solar panels for 765 watts. It is a compact design, and the battery weight is balanced over the chassis rails. I wrote about in earlier posts if you want more details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Batteries above controllers IMG_0138.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	103351   Click image for larger version

Name:	SP shades the roof and air for cooling underneith DSC01107.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	103352  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Control Panel DSC01045.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	103353  
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:40 AM   #13

Quote:
On our maiden voyage we had problems with our battery pack. The two factory installed battery system just didn't last while dry camping. So, I bought the big system. Already had two solar panels on the roof hooked up to the batteries thru the controller shown in the picture. This was ideal , but when you install a magnum 2000 watt inverter, the battery just would not hold. Went to my mechanic , which told me of the start that I need more batteries, and rebuilt the system. First off to the body shop where the frame was built to hold the batteries. As you can see in the pictures, it was a tight fit. Even the engine battery was moved a small amount. As the picture show the system sits behind the molded front bumper. In a 2014 this area is a little shorter, which only means you see more of the batteries. In my 2015, as you can see in the pictures its hidden from sight. New Mar engineers stated that the air flow is mostly from below so there was no significant air flow blockage. Now I can use the microwave , coffee maker. and watch TV. No problem with my wife's hair blower, works just fine on battery power. By mid afternoon the solar has almost completely changed the system. But you can start your generator, turn on the 100 amp battery charger and top off your batteries. I have RV camped for 25 years and this is by far the best system. Also you don't need a surge protector, the magnum 2000 watt pure sine inverter watches everything. Can't go wrong.
VERY NICE! Did you do the work yourself? We have a 2014 Bay Star Sport 2903 and I would like to install solar and batteries but I am concerned with messing with the Newmar
installed house charging system and I have never installed Solar.
donnickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnickerson View Post
VERY NICE! Did you do the work yourself? We have a 2014 Bay Star Sport 2903 and I would like to install solar and batteries but I am concerned with messing with the Newmar
installed house charging system and I have never installed Solar.
Keep us up to date on how you do it, I'm in the same boat BSS2903 and would love to put solar and a few more batteries on it.

Tags
battery, newmar