Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2018, 01:43 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
In our pop-up days, we used Bounce dryer sheets......until we found them used for a nice nest the mice made! I'm a firm believer in sealing openings and use mouse traps. And, we used moth balls with the Bounce sheets....so that blew that theory!
I have a sealed underbelly and I've looked for holes. If I found any, I filled them in.

My only guess is that the mouse got in via the slide out.

I can't see holes in the water heater or refrigerator. I'm going to try some peppermint scented cotton balls on the outside near the slide and frame.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2018, 01:59 PM   #30

I feel like the sticky traps are inhumane. You have one upset mouse, alive now with broken limbs from trying to get loose. Or worse they gnaw off their leg to get free and later die someplace you cant get to or they drag the trap away from where you can reach.

They do stink. I keep traps set in my house and when I catch one I can smell the dead mouse after a day or so.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:16 PM   #31

I always keep a couple of traps set in my MH, while stored in my shop... I do the same thing in my boat. The traps are not very "high tech", but pretty effective.

I don't wait until I see signs, I keep the traps set and baited with peanut butter all the time, while stored.
If you use traps or any other means of catching the critter, I highly suggest that you check your traps often (usually weekly for me, while stored). If you leave a dead mouse in a trap for an extended period, it can become very unpleasant.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:08 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
In our pop-up days, we used Bounce dryer sheets......until we found them used for a nice nest the mice made! I'm a firm believer in sealing openings and use mouse traps. And, we used moth balls with the Bounce sheets....so that blew that theory!
Maybe it's the Irish Spring then but one or both work for me. Could even be the type of mice we get here compared to where you are,I don't know. Either way like I said I park in a field with a few others and I never get mice where some of the others do. This m/h is sealed pretty good but there were signs of mice when I got it and no signs anymore.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:11 AM   #33

If we see signs of those little criters we just set a few good old fashion traps with peanut butter for a couple days. Then we get an extra box of dryer sheets and put them everywhere, basement storage, closets, and pantry.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:09 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I checked on Rene and apparently her MH is abandoned. She is not responding to any communications so I contacted the police who launched a drone and found a trail of dust 18 miles south, appears to be a woman running full speed southbound with two small dust trails spotted closely behind believed to be two little white dogs. Approximately a dozen smaller dust trails believed to be a pack of mice about 1/2 mile behind.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:55 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
[emoji23]

Latest update, police scanner says they spotted the motorhome headed north and for some strange reason it made a stop at the cheese shop. Evidently a gang of 4 legged thieves demanded all of the extra sharp.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:15 AM   #36

I’m a fan of these: http://www.victorpest.com/rat-zapper...CABEgJTp_D_BwE
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:24 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Extra Small 2-Door Live Mouse Trap | Havahart ® 1020

Catch N' Release...

We actually used a larger model to catch a Rat nesting in a Winnebago Brave we kept on a hunting lease.

Threw the trap on the back of a four wheeler...drove a few miles away and let the little bugger go. He ran out...turned as if to say thanks...and ran away. He probably didn't need to thank us, as I'm sure he probably found himself part of the food chain anyway...
Old 08-29-2018, 09:44 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
Extra Small 2-Door Live Mouse Trap | Havahart ® 1020

Catch N' Release...

We actually used a larger model to catch a Rat nesting in a Winnebago Brave we kept on a hunting lease.

Threw the trap on the back of a four wheeler...drove a few miles away and let the little bugger go. He ran out...turned as if to say thanks...and ran away. He probably didn't need to thank us, as I'm sure he probably found himself part of the food chain anyway...
Catch and release sounds warm and fuzzy but mice do carry disease and are territorial. Why spread the disease. Lets say you picked up your mouse in a hanta virus infected area and then finally catch it in an area that isn't infected and then dump it there, you have effectively contributed to the spread the disease that can kill people. Why dump them where they are unfamiliar with the area may be killed by other mice. I used to keep mice as pets. They will kill each other the males especially. Or could get in someone's house. I love animals, and prefer them to people. I have no remorse in the instant death of a snap trap.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:51 AM   #39

Thumbs up

You could try plugging one of these in. Worth a try....they have worked for us.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bell-Howell-4-Pack-Ultrasonic-Pest-Repellers/33153916?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=2222222222702451012 6&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40471969832&wl4=aud-273067695102la-78363119552&wl5=9014977&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl1 0=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=33153916&wl13=&veh=sem
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:45 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Who straps them down in the little oak chair, puts the little leather caps on and pulls down on the knife switch?

Do they get to order a last meal? Do you have to wait for a call from the governor?

Sounds complicated to me.[emoji848]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:12 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
Who straps them down in the little oak chair, puts the little leather caps on and pulls down on the knife switch?

Do they get to order a last meal? Do you have to wait for a call from the governor?

Sounds complicated to me.[emoji848]

Well, one thing i never had to worry about is the DW giving them a stay of execution.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:29 AM   #42

We've tried dryer sheets, Irish spring, peppermint oil, steel wool, sonic plug in thingy. All didn't work. I even had a chipmunk jump out of a tree and enter through the AC unit. Caught the bugger staring at me through the roof vent! Had a big nest under the bed where they chewed up the blankets stored under there. Now use poison traps next to all plumbing and electrical areas. Only had one mouse die in the coach (stinky) but no more nests.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote