Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2018, 08:51 AM   #99

Tiffin Owners Club
Mouse in the house?

Thus far we have avoided any critters in our DP, not that they couldn't find a way in of course...should they choose.

However, we use a deterrent that works well in our home in the country. Ultrasonic pest controller. We haven't had a mouse in the house for over a year now, and in fact the crawling critters like spiders, silverfish, etc., have also been conspicuously absent. You can purchase them through Amazon for reasonable prices and they work a treat.

I'm a firm believer that unless they are paying rent...they don't belong in my house. Haven't seen a check yet.

They DO work off of 115V, so if you store your rig without power, their protection ceases. They come in different coverages so check that. A coach will probably be okay with one that covers 300 square feet or so, but we put one in that covers about 1600 square feet, thinking it's strong enough to perhaps push sound into the storage bays and behind walls. Seems to do the job just fine.

The rest of the suggestions are appropriate too and should be taken in any case.

Oh, don't forget to get screens to cover your exhaust vents from the furnace's. They are dome shaped stainless screens that are held in place with a spring. They look good, and prevent bee's from making homes in the vents.

Tom and Sharon
Tiffin Allegro Phaeton
Jeep Cherokee Toadlet
tebeall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARD View Post
Staying at St. Vrain State Park in Colorado so I can spend some time with my horse and I hear something. And that something is a mouse in my trash bin under the kitchen sink. He was stuck in there as I had taken out the trash and had not put a new bag in yet. After doing a lot of girly screaming, I took the trash can out in the field and released the little bugger.

1. How did he get under my sink? Is there a way for them to come in from outside somehow?

2. How do I prevent that from happening again?

3. Are there certain things I should check to see if that little field mouse chewed up or just wait for something to fail? [emoji23]

4. Can they get in the bay areas?

Lawd, I'm having heart palpitations. I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks.

Renee
We are currently in the high mountains of Colorado for 4 months. This is year 7 we have done the same or similar. We have had a mouse problem in the past. THE SOLUTION...Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent are bags of a pleasant smelling mix that rodents hate. Once we strategically place a few bags in our coach we have not had a problem with another mouse-rodent in several years now. Locally ranchers & farmers have cleared rodent infestations from barns & vehicles where wiring damage was frequent.
The additional thing we do is to use aluminum refrigeration duct tape (Home Depot or Lowes or refrigeration supply) to tape in the service bay around the water hose & electrical cord to seal them in. This is normally the main entry point. I dump gray & black water ever 6 days & hook the hose up every time...otherwise I clean & drain the hose before storing the hose.
We trapped the mice before & no more!!
Old 09-03-2018, 10:31 AM   #101

Peppermint on cotton balls works!

We had some critters join us via an open bay, also at St. Vrain as a matter of fact. Disperse cottonballs with a liberal dose of peppermint oil in all your bays, in all your floor cabinets, under anything you can get them under. Your place will smell like Xmas for awhile, but better than finding evidence of the little critters ir the critters themselves. They’ll find their way out and away from the peppermint. Refresh as needed, but it works for a long time, even when not so pungent.
Dauenbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:12 PM   #102

I guess it's a good thing we haven't been able to get a site at St. Vrain because of the CPW's "new and improved" (NOT!!!) experimental reservation system there and at 5 other state parks. DW and I are stuck here catching up on medical stuff and can't find an available site in the Boulder area. As full timers working on our bucket lists we don't know where we're going to be 6 days from now much less than 6 or 12 months from now like the folks who have reserved all the campsites. All sites at St. Vrain are reserved, walk ups not permitted. Even the gate attendants can't sell you a site that's available due to cancellations or no shows.

Sorry for the rant. 15 medical appointments down and at least 5 more to go. Thank you for your hospitality Walmart, Cracker Barrel, Sam's Club, Cabela's and Kaiser Permanente hospital.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:45 PM   #103

Vintage RV Owners Club
Once a rat always a rat

the only good mouse or rat is a dead one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2078.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	217535  
Rv4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:58 AM   #104

Mice and other pests: I really like this stuff, be sure to wear plastic gloves, it can be messy, but it works on pests. I also endorse stainless wool for rodents, not so much for insects.
GREAT STUFF? Pestblock Insulating Foam Sealant
nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:00 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv4ever View Post
the only good mouse or rat is a dead one
Or two......Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180726_074340.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	217636
Old 09-04-2018, 03:55 PM   #106

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A couple hundred more and you can make a Fur Coat! lol
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:43 PM   #107

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you have any pictures you could post or email me at my private email address?

Ed R. OCREF
Winnebago 36 Journey DL
2017 Jeep Wrangler Big Bear Edition
OCREF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:08 PM   #108

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm all out of picture room, but here is a link.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...animal-welfare
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:46 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwatch View Post
Mice and other pests: I really like this stuff, be sure to wear plastic gloves, it can be messy, but it works on pests. I also endorse stainless wool for rodents, not so much for insects.
GREAT STUFF? Pestblock Insulating Foam Sealant
We just used a similar product after finding lots of droppings in our 5th wheel. I sealed 7 different openings and now (so far) nothing has been in there. I have half a dozen traps set up in there and no bodies as of last night.

If you can access two big potential entrances, be sure to check 1) where the fresh water line comes up through the floor from the tank and 2) where the shower drain goes down to the grey tank. There are other penetrations to look for but those two were big openings.

While I have seen folks recommending steel wool to plug openings, remember that it will rust. I found some bronze wool to use instead.

The big test will be as the weather cools down further and the !$#%@!#! rodents look for shelter.

What we used-

sugarhillctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:31 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarhillctd View Post

While I have seen folks recommending steel wool to plug openings, remember that it will rust. I found some bronze wool to use instead.
I use copper scrub pads.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:12 AM   #111

Basement Heater Run

From the basement into the living space Newmar confirmed if a mouse crawls into the open heater hose it had access to the upstairs. Here's my solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180919_141549278.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	220505  
MarkK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:25 PM   #112

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Last I heard she had Chewy sent to a Taxidermist and will keep him somewhere in the coach to remember.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote