Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2018, 07:58 AM   #1
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Freaking out....a MOUSE!

Staying at St. Vrain State Park in Colorado so I can spend some time with my horse and I hear something. And that something is a mouse in my trash bin under the kitchen sink. He was stuck in there as I had taken out the trash and had not put a new bag in yet. After doing a lot of girly screaming, I took the trash can out in the field and released the little bugger.

1. How did he get under my sink? Is there a way for them to come in from outside somehow?

2. How do I prevent that from happening again?

3. Are there certain things I should check to see if that little field mouse chewed up or just wait for something to fail? [emoji23]

4. Can they get in the bay areas?

Lawd, I'm having heart palpitations. I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks.

Renee
ARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2018, 08:08 AM   #2

They can somehow get in through the smallest of holes. But in the DS they have a pretty easy route. If I were a mouse, up the front driver tire, short leap to the battery compartment, up into the frame rail chases, into the baggage compartment and then find any little tiny hole that hasn't been fully filled with foam.

As to what they might have chewed our Colorado field mice usually like boxes/cardboard if they can't find food.

Keep an eye out for friends that might have come along for the party. I've had good luck with Fresh Cab Rodent Repellant in the cargo bay.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:09 AM   #3

Mice get into the smallest of spots.
During the build process of the RV, there are several holes through the flooring for vents, drains, etc. And, they don't do such a good job of closing up the gaps. Perfect spot for inquisitive mice to find their way in.

I was just servicing my HydroHot furnace and the exhaust boot must have a half inch gap to the body. No problem for any mouse to find it's way in that cavern.

So, best way is to put a light in the baggage area at night and look for the light shining past the floor. Then, depending on what you find, use foam crack sealer to close the gap up. There is foam for ponds that is black and more critter repellent.

You will find many spots to seal. The mice will always find the one you didn't.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:14 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Oh no! Entry points, where the sewer hose goes through the wet bay floor if cap not in place, the small drain hole in the wet bay to the left of the sewer hole, some have a rubber plug in them, mine did not, areas where the cables exit when the bay doors are shut, look at the slide seals make sure no obvious gaps. Also did you leave any bay doors open for anytime?
Some people use mothballs around the bays, peppermint oil sprayed on cotton balls. I ordered pure peppermint oil on Amazon
I’m not going to lie, This would have been a tuff one for me
This will be a great chapter for the book[emoji6]Stuart
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I have had good luck with stainless steel or copper scrub pads for plugging holes. They won't rust and the mice can't or won't chew through them. Good luck at finding all the entry points though!
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:22 AM   #6
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
They can somehow get in through the smallest of holes. But in the DS they have a pretty easy route. If I were a mouse, up the front driver tire, short leap to the battery compartment, up into the frame rail chases, into the baggage compartment and then find any little tiny hole that hasn't been fully filled with foam.

As to what they might have chewed our Colorado field mice usually like boxes/cardboard if they can't find food.

Keep an eye out for friends that might have come along for the party. I've had good luck with Fresh Cab Rodent Repellant in the cargo bay.

Oh aaargh, I'm afraid to open my bay doors. Okay, I manning up AFTER I go get some repellant. Where do you put it?
Old 08-28-2018, 08:24 AM   #7
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Mice get into the smallest of spots.
During the build process of the RV, there are several holes through the flooring for vents, drains, etc. And, they don't do such a good job of closing up the gaps. Perfect spot for inquisitive mice to find their way in.

I was just servicing my HydroHot furnace and the exhaust boot must have a half inch gap to the body. No problem for any mouse to find it's way in that cavern.

So, best way is to put a light in the baggage area at night and look for the light shining past the floor. Then, depending on what you find, use foam crack sealer to close the gap up. There is foam for ponds that is black and more critter repellent.

You will find many spots to seal. The mice will always find the one you didn't.

Thanks for explaining how to find the holes. I have a feeling my neighbors may hear a few screams tonight as I search. Wish me luck.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:28 AM   #8
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Oh no! Entry points, where the sewer hose goes through the wet bay floor if cap not in place, the small drain hole in the wet bay to the left of the sewer hole, some have a rubber plug in them, mine did not, areas where the cables exit when the bay doors are shut, look at the slide seals make sure no obvious gaps. Also did you leave any bay doors open for anytime?
Some people use mothballs around the bays, peppermint oil sprayed on cotton balls. I ordered pure peppermint oil on Amazon
I’m not going to lie, This would have been a tuff one for me
This will be a great chapter for the book[emoji6]Stuart

This is so not my idea of fun, Stuart! I better get a football helmet because if anything moves in the bay while I'm looking, I'm likely to concuss myself on the slideouts.

So yes, I did leave a bay door open while I was getting my ladder out to clean the dead bodies off the front of my coach when I arrived. Gonna go check that little hole in wet bay as I am not sure if the rubber stopper is in there. OMG, I hope he didn't have friends. I have peppermint oil. Where do you put the cotton balls? [emoji33]
Old 08-28-2018, 08:36 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depends on your feelings, but.....place 10 glue traps everywhere, in and out.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:37 AM   #10

We keep a sticky trap in an area not used much with peanut butter on it. Usual pick up one a year. We travel about 15 to 20 thousand miles a year for over 175 days and that's a lot of places to pick up one. Know not the nice way to keep them from getting into the living area but they come first to outside cabinets and then inside. If you travel enough you will get mice.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:39 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Likely entry points are the shore power cable, water hose, or sewer hose.

If you have one mouse there are likely more. And they multiply rapidly.

The time to put out traps is now...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:43 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Mouse trap's....OK, but those sticky trap's should be outlawed.......they are a slow painful death for a living animal! I have seen body part's left in them........
Just my thoughts........
Old 08-28-2018, 08:56 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have found signs of a mouse in ours as well this weekend, in the past have had good luck with mouse traps and peanut butter. Time to break them out again hopefully we will get them before they do any damage.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:00 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Another route that critters like is following the power, water,cable and sewer lines. I made rings to fit snugly around each with an outside diameter larger than the opening. They are two piece clamshell. Easy to use and they work great. Like others have said it is very hard to find every possible opening but I have crawled under every area of mine with rodent proof expandable foam and found many possible entry points to fill. Haven’t had an intrusion in quite some time
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote