Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #15

Another member of the OCD group checking in.
I need to know where we are staying for the night, week, etc.
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2018, 10:21 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
I have booked every stop for the last 5 months (FT'ers) till now. We will be arriving at our next stop without reservations. Scary, since we will arrive on a Friday and all sites are first come, first served.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:03 AM   #17

when we had our first Class A, a 28 foot, about 30 yrs ago, we never booked ahead. We were small enough to find a spot almost anywhere and back then, there was much less pressure on CG occupancy. Frequently, we'd drive until I figured we had an hour or 2 before I wanted to stop and then call ahead to get a spot. When we moved up to a 36'. we started planning more and booking ahead. We are now 43' plus the pickup toad ( total 65') and now we always plan ahead. Sometimes a year in advance for popular places and other times a day or so in advance for transit stops.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:14 AM   #18

Another over 40 year RV traveler and except for holidays and big tourist destinations we have seldom booked in advance. Wife starts calling places I have prechecked on google maps after lunch and we have not run into any trouble finding a good spot. OTOH as more baby boomers travel each year and few if any new campgrounds we are starting to book a few days out but still want the freedom of the road to allow us to check out new finds on the road. Most of our most remember sights are ones we stumneled on and spent extra time to explore. I figure I have my home and bed with me so if someday I end up in a city park or rest stop for a night, so be it. Jmho.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:27 AM   #19

Well, we're not FTrs 'yet' but we sort of wing it most times. However, we did just attempt to plan to see our daughter over in Whidbey Island so I booked a site near Port Townsend as all the sites on the island were booked (art festival).

Well wouldn't you know it, our daughter texted the other night and said, "Oops..busy that weekend"

So...yeah, had to cancel. Kind of funny, when you book there was a $10 'booking fee' and when you cancel you don't get that back...no problem..BUT..there is also a $10 cancelation fee!!!!!!! Jeepers.

So we've rescheduled and I'm going to 'wing-it'.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:27 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Free-Styling Vs. Booking

We got our 45’ MH this past December. It’s our first. We left on our maiden voyage in late January and headed south (eventually making it to the Gulf of Mexico) and then north to the Newmar factory for maintenance. Total trip was 2 1/2 months.

We only planned a few days ahead. Typically stayed at Corps of Engineers (COE) CGs or state parks (SP), but also boon-docked at a few locations and stayed at a few private CGs. We even stayed at Gulf Shores State Park in late February with about one weeks notice. Only stayed at Walmart one night as we were visiting the Ark Encounter the next morning (we parked the MH at Ark Encounter while there).

Since we still have kids coming home from college for the summer, our travels seems to take place during the off season.

Many of the COE/SP CGs were nearly empty when we visited. We actually enjoyed the quietness and privacy.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:55 AM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
OCD here and pretty much do what "Sky Boss" does. When we travel alone and are just winging it, we'll call the day before and try to make a reservation for the next day. My brother-in-law likes to stay at Elks Lodges and will just show up. If they have no spots he'll stay in the parking lot. That's fine during the winter, but during the summer when A/C is needed, I want to know I have a spot with power.

50% of our camping is done with another couple. On those trips we always book sites in advance, as trying to find two open sites gets a lot tougher.

Two years ago we did a nine week coast to coast, in areas where there were no attractions, we just winged it, but places like Nashville, DC, Memphis, we booked sites.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:43 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We typically have destination events. Offroading club - quilt shows - etc. For those events make reservations well in advance because area CG fill for the event.

Enroute between events we seldom make reservations. If we do its usually because a holiday week/weekend is approaching and CG space can become difficult to find.

We often stay at Elks Lodges or other low cost venues when traveling.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #23

I am OCD and have booked every stay into October. The places we go fill up fast and while they do have some walk in sites there is no guarantee.
I wanted to switch parks and looking at the other park they had one spot and its handicapped. They have several sites that have a lot of steps down to the picnic area. No thanks my knees would be very upset with me.

We never stay anywhere over a warm season holiday ever. We also don't go boating on those days either. Too many stupid, inconsiderate people out on those days.

If there is a campground where I care what spot we have I will book that one months in advance. There is one park with 2 premium spots the other ones you are packed in like sardines that October one was booked in March.

We stay at one place that usually has spots but they are all the same we reserve just so we are guaranteed something when we get there.

When just going from one place to another we make sure we know where all the lot-docking options are and then wing it. If there is an area that is a must visit we make a reservation so we don't miss out.

I can see how planning every single overnight would take the fun out it especially if you are done driving before you get there.

I have no problem with lot-docking and would avoid making reservations ahead in areas that aren't important to visit. We were traveling from FL to NC and broke down in Jacksonville. We got back on the road in an hour but was glad we didn't have to press our luck in the dark if it happened again. We drove 10 miles and stayed at a flying J in one of the 3 RV spots. It would have been stressful to have to continue driving to make a reservation. Or...if I refused to lot-dock try to find an open spot in a campground in Florida.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:52 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
Well, we're not FTrs 'yet' but we sort of wing it most times. However, we did just attempt to plan to see our daughter over in Whidbey Island so I booked a site near Port Townsend as all the sites on the island were booked (art festival).

Well wouldn't you know it, our daughter texted the other night and said, "Oops..busy that weekend"

So...yeah, had to cancel. Kind of funny, when you book there was a $10 'booking fee' and when you cancel you don't get that back...no problem..BUT..there is also a $10 cancelation fee!!!!!!! Jeepers.

So we've rescheduled and I'm going to 'wing-it'.
It can get expensive to make and then cancel reservations, and Washington State Parks are the worst I have run into so far. I was considering canceling a reservation at Grayland State Park on the WA coast and the cancellation amount is dependent on how long you have had the reservation. Since I have had the ressie more than 6 months, if I cancel they charge a fee PLUS 50% of the campsite cost. Canceling the 10 night stay would have cost me a total of $221 to NOT camp there. Yowsers.

Lynn
Steele is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:04 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
In California you can usually get in without a reservation during the week, Monday - Thur not before or after a 3 Day holiday. I also agree that at 44 feet the odds are not as good.

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:12 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
In California you can usually get in without a reservation during the week, Monday - Thur not before or after a 3 Day holiday. I also agree that at 44 feet the odds are not as good.
Also, and not specific to CA, looking for 1 night in a transit situation is a whole different kettle of fish. We try to book for 7-10 night stays and don’t want to have to move every day or two. The longer the stay, the further ahead I feel I need to book.

Lynn
Steele is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:57 PM   #27

I was unable to make a reservation in March. Would have cost one night cancellation which was $75 but found I was able to shift the reservation without any penalty and it ended up costing less because it was out of season.

The COE campgrounds here charge $10 change or cancellation fee. Not the end of the world. Although it can be a little irritating when you are at the location and would like to change spots because of no cell service or wifi. I thought about it and realized I would probably be inclined to pay $10 to have service over the 3 nights so I got over it. lol