RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2019, 11:07 PM   #1

FreightLiner Chassis Module Troubleshooting

A few nights ago I hooked up the TOAD and did a full test of all the outside lighting on my New Aire. The New Aire is built on the Freightliner XCS chassis. To my surprise I found the rear marker lights (right and left), license plate light and the right and left TOAD marker lights not working. Also the left rear turn signal light did not work on the coach and the TOAD. Brake lights worked and right turn signal worked everywhere. All the other lights on the coach worked including the rear overhead running lights, side lights and all front lighting.

So I began to troubleshoot the lighting system. I was sure a fuse had blown somewhere. I never did find a fuse for the running lights. I found 3 Freightliner chassis fuse boxes: two in the area under the driver's seat and another by the chassis cut off switch in the rear. Freightliner service manual talks about a 4th fuse box inside the coach near the steering wheel but I could not find it.

In any event I turned to the Freightliner schematic diagrams that are on line on the Diamler web site. It was there that I discovered all lighting (and most other electrical switching) is entirely handled by two "Multiplex control modules". One master module up front (which I found) and a second "Chassis control module" that I am still looking for. The Freightliner schematics also refer to the master module as the RV Multiplexer which is located in the area under the driver's seat by the two fuse boxes.

Turns out the rear lighting on the chassis is handled by the chassis control module while the front lighting is handled by master control module. So this at least partially explains why my front maker lights worked when the rear marker lights did not.

So when you turn on a switch on the Freightliner it simple tells a computer what you want to do and the computer assigns one of the modules to actually turn on the source (in my case the lights). This is the way modern electrical systems are going. We are seeing it in most new aircraft.

The problem is without the appropriate diagnostic equipment there is absolutely no way for an owner to troubleshoot such a simple thing as the lights not working. So there I sat looking at the dark back end of the coach just shaking my head. The computer was in control.

I woke up the next morning and turned on the lights. Everything worked. I have cycled the lights many times since. No more failures.

So this was obviously some kind of computer glitch in the control module. Has anyone seen this before? Short of pulling all power to the chassis and coach to reboot the computers has anyone found any other way to reset these modules when they act up? My guess is this functionality exists with the Frieghtliner Service Center tools but that is not much help in the middle of the night with the lights out.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2019, 03:46 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is an open recall on that module. Check your vin to see if it applies to your chassis.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:41 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
There is an open recall on that module. Check your vin to see if it applies to your chassis.
redbaron73 I know I should probably know this already but what is the easiest way to check for recalls?? Is there a dedicated website to do that?

FLSteve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:00 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
redbaron73 I know I should probably know this already but what is the easiest way to check for recalls?? Is there a dedicated website to do that?

FLSteve
Comnet will have recalls and tsb information. Click on parts and warranty, then bulletins. Choose your coach.

For freightliner, you can check the vin# here:
https://dtna-dlrinfo.prd.freightline...tVinLookupPage

Old 05-06-2019, 08:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Apparently does not apply.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:13 AM   #6

We had our 2018 Palazzo 33.3 (XCS 300 Chassis) for 3 months when I received a recall notice from Freightliner for the PCM for the same issue.
Bad on me for not doing something so basic as check my lights as part of the new purchase check out (and bad on the dealer...). Fortunately we had not driven it at night during the first 3 months!
Took it to Freightliner service and replaced or updated while we waited (~3 hrs)
Old 05-06-2019, 09:15 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is the article I read on this:
https://www.trucks.com/2018/10/02/da...er-rv-chassis/

The key dates are:
The 24 affected models include 2016-19 Freightliner Custom Chassis XBR, XBS, XCR, XCM, XCL, XCS built between Nov. 23, 2015, and June 29, 2018

Old 05-06-2019, 11:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Here is the article I read on this:
https://www.trucks.com/2018/10/02/da...er-rv-chassis/

The key dates are:
The 24 affected models include 2016-19 Freightliner Custom Chassis XBR, XBS, XCR, XCM, XCL, XCS built between Nov. 23, 2015, and June 29, 2018
Ok here is the deal. This is a recall for 100% of models shown. The problem is that it does not show up as a recall in the master FreightLiner record for my chassis.

Just got back from the local FreightLiner shop. They are trying to sort it out. This is a big recall. They showed me a box full of old chassis modules they have replaced. They said most of the replacements have been for complete rear marker/brake light failures versus intermittent failures like I have seen.

The problem with this issue is that it only involves lighting on the rear of the coach. So unless you do a walk around of the coach there is no way to tell if your module is failing intermittently like mine.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:05 PM   #9
Rd1

Turbopilot, when the lights go off, have you tried to see if the dash AC also quits? just curious. (your NA, may be wired a bit differently than the hi lines).

Have been chasing fccc for that issue on the hi-lines for 2 years. a relay in the PM by the chassis batt, detects too much draw, as in a short, and shuts the power down. thats why the next day, your system is up and working again.

in my case, it became very consistent, after some 30 min of park lights being turned on, the relay would finally shut down the power and it effected, tow car/trailer supply, tail lights, marker lights and dash AC. Also, the rad fan would not work on 'max' as when the dash AC requires the fan to work full time.

it was supposedly sorted out late fall last year. I have had the new box, so far seems ok, will have to see.
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd1 View Post
Turbopilot, when the lights go off, have you tried to see if the dash AC also quits? just curious.
Never checked the dash AC during these events.

In my case the symptoms I have are identical to the recall:

....which may, after a period of vehicle use, lead to intermittent open circuits, in which the rear marker, brake lights or left turn signal lights may not function.

Your problems sound more like a "short stop" CB acting up. Newmar uses short stop CB's in several circuits. These devices will drive you nuts when trying to troubleshoot since they will pop and reset after they cool down. Of course none of this is documented anywhere.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #11

Just today checking a rear lighting problem on 18 LA on a Spartan chassis and having all chassis wiring labeled every 3 inches made finding and fix problem not that bad.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:01 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Just today checking a rear lighting problem on 18 LA on a Spartan chassis and having all chassis wiring labeled every 3 inches made finding and fix problem not that bad.
Newmar Man
This thread is about freightliner and the associated recall on the control module. This comment has the appearance of "nannany booobooo" and is really not helpful.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:33 PM   #13

You are right and I shouldn't have made the post. It was interesting that I was working with a rear lighting issue today. First thoughts not best thing to post.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, freightliner