Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2022, 12:06 PM   #1

Freightliner Optiview Dash is Dead - Ideas?

At home, luckily. Went to start the coach this AM, and, for the second time in as many months, the dash would not come to life. Last time, I simply hit the chassis battery disconnect for a few minutes and that worked. This time, I have cycled it a few times, checked the main fuse at the PDM and unplugged the Cat 5 cable. Nothing is working.

Interestingly, I do see the dash flash for a brief moment every now and then. Also, for some reason, my chassis batteries seem to be draining very fast. Inverter/charger or BIRD seems to be sending juice to the chassis batteries intermittently - on and off again and again. Letting it sit for a couple of hours plugged into 50-amps now.

Any suggestions? I have had the Optiview recall performed for the low voltage issue, but not the rear PDM recall yet.

As an FYI, the plastic trim piece around the Optiview does not pop out like many panels do. It is held on to through bolts with epoxy of some sort. See circled spots in pics. It does "pop" when you attempt...My mistake, but I am going to make a nice trim piece with some poplar to match the interior. Would be simple to glue the original back on, by the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash Trim Piece.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	375870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Optiview.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	313.0 KB
ID:	375871  

tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2022, 12:45 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You already did the recall. Did you try cycling the ignition? That used to work before the recall. You didn't need to cycle the batteries at all, just shut down after a minute or two of the dark screen and then go through a restart. Sounds like you might have an unrelated problem or the update wasn't done completely.
Old 09-08-2022, 12:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
You already did the recall. Did you try cycling the ignition? That used to work before the recall. You didn't need to cycle the batteries at all, just shut down after a minute or two of the dark screen and then go through a restart. Sounds like you might have an unrelated problem or the update wasn't done completely.
I did run it for a few minutes, then shut down and restart. Additionally, I cycled the ignition a few times without starting. Nothing worked. I called Freightliner, and they just said to get it into a shop. First appointment is October 12 at my local FL.
Old 09-08-2022, 01:05 PM   #4

And here is something strange. My KIB display shows the chassis batteries at 12. 47. However, my multimeter shows 12. 62 at both the batteries and the chassis connection at the BIM??? That would explain why the charger is not pushing current to the chassis. However, is some thing telling the coach there is low-voltage for the chassis? Also of note, my Equalizer panel does show the low-voltage light when I turn the key on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	732BEB40-D401-41D7-8F2B-B64C83CC9C34.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	375876  
Old 09-08-2022, 03:56 PM   #5

Open the lid on the dash. There is an ethernet cable connected to the rear of the cluster. Unplug, wait 20 minutes and try. If nothing, it needs a Viper module, about $4,500 but should be done under warranty.
Why did you remove the trim?
Winger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 04:34 PM   #6

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger2 View Post
Open the lid on the dash. There is an ethernet cable connected to the rear of the cluster. Unplug, wait 20 minutes and try. If nothing, it needs a Viper module, about $4,500 but should be done under warranty.
Why did you remove the trim?
I tried the ethernet disconnect earlier. No luck.

Why did I remove the trim piece you ask? Because it was way easier than pulling off the Velcroed dash lid! Seriously, I had no idea that it was that simple and thought I had to go in through the front. Oyy.
Old 09-09-2022, 04:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post

Why did I remove the trim piece you ask? Because it was way easier than pulling off the Velcroed dash lid! Seriously, I had no idea that it was that simple and thought I had to go in through the front. Oyy.
Best leave this stuff to the professionals Go to Gaffney they will fix it in a day. Once diagnosed by them they will have the module the next day. The other service centers are horrid.
Winger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 05:40 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post

Did you not call Freightliner 365/24 service number? How close are you to Gaffney or another Oasis Service Center?
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 07:45 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
You mentioned you had the optiview recall for low voltage done. Do you know if they changed the viper module? I had good results at the Tucson Freightliner dealer when my optiview went black. They even have rv hookups. No resets would help it when it went dead. It’s worked fine for the last 2000 miles since viper was replaced.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson View Post
Did you not call Freightliner 365/24 service number? How close are you to Gaffney or another Oasis Service Center?
I called them - see post 3 - they just said to get it to a shop. I'm in California, and my nearest Oasis is about 30-miles away. Appt is for 10/22.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpco View Post
You mentioned you had the optiview recall for low voltage done. Do you know if they changed the viper module? I had good results at the Tucson Freightliner dealer when my optiview went black. They even have rv hookups. No resets would help it when it went dead. It’s worked fine for the last 2000 miles since viper was replaced.
They just did the recall which I believe is a reflash...I wish the FL Oasis center out here had hookups! The place is always a zoo - can barely weave through the parking area to get the rig in.
Old 09-09-2022, 12:54 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
That’s the way ours is here. The Tucson one is very new, clean and not here as hectic as ours. They even got me in on short notice. Came in the night before and stayed on site. Sure made it easier to get it checked in early the next morning.
Old 09-09-2022, 02:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpco View Post
So they replaced yours? How long did it take to get the part? Thanks.
Old 09-09-2022, 04:28 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
It took about 3 days. We were in Tucson anyway and we stopped by there on the way out of town and it took about 3 hours to install. We had the coach for the week after they confirmed the problem.

Tags
dash, freightliner, view