Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #1

Freightliner or Spartan

We recently sold our 2006 DSDP with a Spartan Chassis. We are now thinking about buying a 2014 to 2016 DSDP. I noticed that most have the Freightliner Chassis. Does anyone have experience with both Chassis', in the later models, that can give us a checklist of the difference between the two?

Would I regret going to Freightliner after having driven a solid and dependable Spartan chassis for 9 years?
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2019, 01:13 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Never owned a spartan. I have had a freightliner on my 2008 Fleetwood discovery, 2013 Newmar Dutchstar, and 2019 Dutchstar.

The 2013 to 2019 is a huge improvement. Service is great, and parts are great.

In the end, I think the chassis should not make or break a deal. The specific units condition, maintenance history and options should be given the highest priority.

Nothing wrong at all with FL in the years you mention. The 2016 model year was first for the hwh fws. This coach has major weight issues, and you need to make sure the front axle was upgraded when the factory offered it or avoid the coach. The replacement of front axle is critical for safety.

The 2015 is considered to be the sweet spot. Old style slide, but raised roof rails. 2014 is very solid and will have the most NCCC of the years you mentioned with 2016 having the least.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:20 PM   #3

I drive all brands of pushers and I can't tell one chassis from another.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:38 PM   #4

Red Baron, what is HWH FWS?
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:16 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
Red Baron, what is HWH FWS?
Hwh=manufacturer (www.hwhcorp.com)
Fws=full wall slide

Prior to 2016 all slides where electric DC motors on newmar

In 2016 newmar replaced the fws with a hydraulic slide that allowed for a flat floor once deployed. This opened up the ability to have tile on the slide out, no more carpet.

It added a lot of weight, more than newmar was prepared for. As such the front axle was over weight with a full tank of fuel and 2 people. Very dangerous.

Newmar upgraded the axles from the 15k to 17k on all 2016, but the owners had to schedule and have the work performed. This upgrade is not available to 2nd owners and the offer expired mid 2017.

2017 and later increased the axles to 18k.

All of my figures are based on a 43 ft coach. Shorter ones had similar issue, but different axle ratings.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:58 PM   #6

In the 2014 and 15 years there were very few Spartan chassis for Dutch Star's. In 2016 you will find more Spartan chassis. The chassis to get for a Dutch Star is a 2017 which came without no up charge and disc brakes on all 3 axles which would be about an extra 5K charge if special ordered that way. 2018 did have disc brakes on front and drive axle with tag on Spartan chassis but did have a up charge. In 2020 Dutch Star owners will pay 6K extra for the premium chassis. You will get a 5 year and 75K mile warranty over FL 3 year and 50K mile warranty. There is a difference between the 2 chassis and it will be up to you to decide which is best for you.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
We recently sold our 2006 DSDP with a Spartan Chassis. We are now thinking about buying a 2014 to 2016 DSDP. I noticed that most have the Freightliner Chassis. Does anyone have experience with both Chassis', in the later models, that can give us a checklist of the difference between the two?

Would I regret going to Freightliner after having driven a solid and dependable Spartan chassis for 9 years?
Both my prior 2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD and current coach have the Freightliner chassis and both had issues. Currently my 2015 DS with only 14,200 miles has a fan box leak and needs to be replaced at a cost of over $4300, worn belts and seal leaks.

I contacted Freightliner directly this past Thursday and was given service solution #1033095e which is for the radiator brackets that keep failing as the rep told me to have the Freightliner dealer call them for possible finincial assistance since then fan box and brackets are known problems.

The shop in Ft Myers FL let me know yesterday that my request was denied. “So much for the great support” they supposedly have.

I called again yesterday and again explained my issues and was told they will “look into it and get back to me”. That was late morning so hopefully they will call Monday but they clearly said no assistance on the brackets as they have not broken even though if they break it a catastrophic and very expensive repair.

If you look at the Spartan brackets they are almost double that of Freightliner so my a chassis is important as it’s the foundation for what you ride on.

It’s not always the “bling” or what you can see but many times it’s what you cannot see that is important.

I truly hope they step up and do the right thing. This coach had only 1,690 miles on it when I bought it last year and I store it indoors and do almost all the maintenance myself. The belts and leaking seals with 14k miles may be expected but not the $4300 gear box repair in my opinion.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Hwh=manufacturer (Welcome to HWH Corporation)
Fws=full wall slide

Newmar upgraded the axles from the 15k to 17k on all 2016, but the owners had to schedule and have the work performed. This upgrade is not available to 2nd owners and the offer expired mid 2017.

2017 and later increased the axles to 18k.

All of my figures are based on a 43 ft coach. Shorter ones had similar issue, but different axle ratings.
2017 front axle is 19k....

the retro fit on the 2016 coaches brought the front axle to 18k.....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:35 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
2017 front axle is 19k....

the retro fit on the 2016 coaches brought the front axle to 18k.....
Aww...thanks. Even better!
Old 04-27-2019, 10:02 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also debated the FL vs Spartan on my last purchase. One of my prior coaches was a 99 DSDP on a FL. Hated the handling and ride. Less than a year later went to a 00 MADP on a Spartan and the handling and ride were amazing. Then purchased an 06 TS on a Spartan and again had an amazing ride and handling. Started looking a couple years ago at Anthems. Decided against the Anthem as the AC units are noisier than the DSDP. Took a 14 and 16 DSDP on a FL on a test drive and thought it was just as good as my Spartan, but loved the quality finish of my TS. I was sold on getting a Newmar, so decided to look at the MADP in the Newmar Luxury division. I found a 12 MADP on a FL. The test drive was amazing. The quality is amazing. Roof ACs are quiet. On a side note, I also installed Koni shocks on all my rigs which is always a bonus in ride quality.
Larson RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:35 PM   #11

We drove on Spartan chassis coaches for 14 years. Our most recent coach, a 34' Ventana LE is on a Freightliner chassis. I have been pleased with the FL. In some ways, the Spartan was a little better, in other ways I like the Freightliner design better. All in all, as others have said, I would not let the chassis be the determining factor in a motorhome purchase.

Ed Headington
Ed Headington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:28 PM   #12

I had a 2014 Entegra Aspire on a Spartan chassis. Last year we traded it in on a Dutchstar with a FL. I realize they are two different coaches by two different builders, but the Entegra was a smoother and quieter ride than the Dutchstar. The dealership where I bought the Dutchstar favored the FL which is why I bought it. The FL has a good turning radius and I don’t get a lot of side to side motion when going out of driveways. I’ve looked at the two chassis side by side at Newmar and the Spartan was heavier. I don’t think either is bad, but if I had to do it over again I would order the Spartan. Their school is amazing! First class all the way!

Mark
Old 04-27-2019, 08:07 PM   #13

There are a number of Newmar forum members who say there is no difference between chassis builders and the first thing that needs to be said is that, there is a difference.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner, spartan