Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2021, 01:27 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have not received a recall letter on the PDM but have had two replaced a year apart...one only a few weeks ago.

Sure hope they can get one that lasts more than a year before it fails.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2021, 04:43 AM   #16
Rd1

Attached is the recall 20v404 sep of 2021. This recall was originally initiated (intermediate) in jul of 2020. You can lookup your chassis VIN here

Even if your chassis may be listed, you'd need to have your PDM s/n checked to see if it is included. S/n is located on the right side of the pdm.

I had this recall performed sep of 2020. Since ,I have had a number of failures and it seems to get progressively worse. I have been dealing with this issue with Freightliner since early 2017. They were in denial and refusing to acknowledge it back then and continue to do so now, despite being forced to issue two recalls. IMO, these recalls are very likely a “manipulation” of the defect and not a resolution. After all, there has been two recall, right? Or perhaps it is incompetence.

Why a manipulation – Some of you who experienced the fan housing defect should know, that issue was fully KNOWN to freightliner since 2013. Despite dozens and dozens of complaints here and else where, freightliner's response was, “the rate of failure does not justify a recall”!!!! (in other words, we don't want to spend the money to fix our own defect) And if you experienced the failure, the original repairs made to solve the issue were entirely subpar and prone to further failures. The ONLY reason this defect was finally resolved properly was due to an owner of a 2016 LADP who had experienced catastrophic failure of the fan housing resulting in engine damage (over heating) which freightliner refused to resolve. The ensuing legal steps was the ONLY reason this defect was finally resolved properly when freightliner issued their motorhome chassis fan cage campaign (feb 20) effecting 2013 -2019 chassis, just to avoid further legal expense and accountability.

Some of you who have been in this forum long enough may recall a 2016 DS catching fire due to faulty hydraulic lines. A defect freightliner was fully aware and had recalled some of the effected units, but not all of them. An unfortunate full timing couple had to endure considerable suffering as a result.

This is the reason why these comments are posted here. In case some unfortunate owner finds themselves in an accident caused due to INOP tail lights, perhaps they may have some recourse.

This problem was initially diagnosed by freightliner's own engineer as the relay in pdm observing too much amp draw, causing the relay to shut down. This was in 2017. There were no issues with the box itself. This seemed to “*suggest*” a problem in the wiring harness. As the issue was further pursued, and they found out I have a trailer in tow, freightliner went into denial and started to blame my trailer as the cause. Again, meaning, a wiring problem (short) within the trailer, causing too much amp draw, hence the relay shut down. The issue WAS THE RELAY SHUT DOWN, nothing more. An overnight engine off, the relay would recover the next day and all was good, till the too much amp draw would cause the relay to shut down again.

When it was proven to them the trailer had nothing to do with the issue, then they started to blame newmar WIRING. In fact I was even charged by the dealer to test the newmar wiring to the tail lights and they had to make some excuse about corrosion on one of the tail lights to keep freightliner happy.

After about a year of back and forth, finally they had me work with their dealer (Young Truck, canton,OH) to review the issue. I had a handful of visits to test and try couple of different pdm boxes. Btw, a competent tech can replace the pdm in 15 min. I didn't realize it then, but it “seems” they may have been trying to figure out how to manipulate the pdm than to resolve the real issue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 20V404.PDF (212.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: pdf 20v404-Final.pdf (36.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-09-2021, 04:53 AM   #17
Rd1

Some of the observation on the various recalls and their behavior. Why they are likely a manipulation and not a resolution.

The original pdm that came with the unit caused the following;

With the relay shut down, the tail lights, marker lights, supply to tow, dash AC, the dash camera functionality, the dash silver leaf functionality would all fail. The camera itself functioned, you just couldn't access the menu buttons on the camera display. Some of the other units may have had brake lights or turn signals effected, depending on the final wiring.

This pdm relay shutdown came into play after about 30 min of either the park lights turned on, or the dash AC turned on. This 30 min behavior was observed and noted by other owners (some here on this forum). The issue would resolve once the engine was shut down for some time (over night). This is not because some board component failing and some how recovering. It was just a relay resetting after a while.

The first recall was issued in Aug 2018. That pdm eliminated the 30 min failure. However, the very same components continued to fail randomly. This failure could be resolved by shutting down engine and turning off the chassis batt for a few minutes. I was told, the problem was due to some manufacturing issue from Eaton (pdm mfr), where there is a circuit board / component separation inside the pdm. This kinda defect does not recover by just shutting down the chassis batt and some how the defect recovers!!

This second (present) recall no longer impacts the dash camera and the dash silver leaf functionality. The dash AC, tail lights and marker lights and supply to tow continue to fail just the same as before. Some of you may or may not know, truing the windshield wipers ON would also turns you park lights ON (believe it is FMVSS requirement). With this pdm, when the lights fail, if I were to hit the wipers, the tail lights come back ON. However, they fail at some point. This was new and I only had this issue once, so not sure how long they lasted before failing again. This tail light INOP recovery so far has been inconsistent. Sometimes a quick engine shutdown recovers, other instances take more time.

You just have to wonder if it is incompetence or just an attempt to save a buck or two when it comes to expensive defects. **IF** this may be a wiring harness issue, it can be a problem they may want to avoid. What ever the issue maybe, two recalls have not resolved it. Unfortunately, freightliner and RV industry in general are treating us as though we are a bunch of old or retirees who don't drive much or don't pay attention.

As owners, we have some civic responsibilities too, right? Here is what those of you who experience this issue might want to consider;

This issue is difficult to observe, unless you have your park lights ON (or dash AC). So please consider to turn your park lights ON every time you drive. When you stop and before shutting down the engine, check your tail/marker, etc lights. If they are off, take a video. And when you take a video, make sure you start from inside and show the mileage on your dash display. This will provide a reference to the time frame. Then with video on, walk all the way back and record the lights out.

Email the video to both newmar and freightliner. Last, please file a report with NHTSA. Its NHTSA's job to investigate safety defects. If you get involved in a rear end collusion due to your RVs tail lights INOP, the problem is on You. Even if you can prove it is a freightliner defect, ultimately, the headache would be yours vs a 5 min effort to file a report with NHTSA.
Old 10-09-2021, 05:01 AM   #18

I have a recall letter in my goodsam mailbox but it is saturday so I won't know what it is until next week.
We just had the 20K mile service done, there was no mention of it. We had the PDM replaced last year by LD up in Tampa, but they had Freightliner perform the work.
This ought to be "fun".
Old 10-09-2021, 01:57 PM   #19
jrs

Our drivers side rear directional tail light was just very faintly blinking (could hardly see it) took it into Freightliner 3 weeks ago where the PDM unit was replaced. I haven't received any recall notice.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:35 PM   #20

I had my PDM replaced last week, it took about a 1/2 hour. I found out they are checking the date range of the PDM's. If it falls within that date range they replace it. I don't know the date range though.

Never had a problem with the old one, hope the new one gives me no problems.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDan View Post
I have a recall letter in my goodsam mailbox but it is saturday so I won't know what it is until next week.
We just had the 20K mile service done, there was no mention of it. We had the PDM replaced last year by LD up in Tampa, but they had Freightliner perform the work.
This ought to be "fun".
Yes, this is FL856A-J, the PDM recall. Yes, I had the PDM replaced last year. Now I have to call freightliner and see what the deal is.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:43 PM   #22

What is a PDM?
Krikati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:04 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
PDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Good info.....I'm going to take mine in and try to get the dash, PDM and fuel rail all done in one shot. I know that may stress them out, three recalls in one day.

My favorite, I make an appointment, get there at 8:00am, they move to the bay and don't start work on it until 4:00pm and then rush it out the door at 6:00pm.
I went to FL to get my PDM checked. They let me know it was not on the recall but they will do the "stress test" on it if I paid for the service. Did this before my planned 7k trip. I paid around $100.

Well I am on the trip now and when DW sits at the controls while I stand behind the tow vehicle the left outer break and signal light does not come on. I called Newmar and ordered the light fixture. 2 days later both left lights would not come on with break and signal. Funny thing is if you drive for an hour them they work fine.
Called FL and they say the PDM is the issue. I went to FL in Lincoln, NE and they did not have one on the shelf. So I am headed back to Washington where I will get the local FL to do the recall. I also received the recall notice yesterday. Maybe I can get my $100 back.
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:42 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikati View Post
What is a PDM?

Power Distribution Module

It manages power to several items on the chassis including your vehicle lights, dash AC and in my case my DEF tank sensor system.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:59 PM   #25

One of the folks at Lazy Days told me it was some kind of processor. I sincerely doubt it is anything that complicated. I believe it is nothing more than a circuit board that has bulk current coming in, and a number of outputs in the form of wires or cables to various devices. It also has fuses, relays etc. for blinkers.

It's a means to provide power to various devices without resorting to large buss bars etc..

Ours would fail when cold, but at the end of a long drive everything worked fine. I believe in some cases that the failure can be temperature driven. Things cool down and shrink thus opening up circuits. When things heat up they expand and reconnect.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:10 AM   #26

I spoke with Freightliner and was told it should come in even though the PDM was replaced. "This is a whole new recall" is what the man said.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:06 AM   #27

FYI

For your information, I didn't realize the PDM would affect the dash air conditioning.

You have open recall FL856-B that you need to have performed at any Freightliner Dealer, as A/C symptoms can also be related to this recall. FTL Dealer would need to diagnose accordingly.
Regards,
John Michaels
Senior Service/Parts Administrator
FCCC Service
Daimler Trucks North America LLC
Phone 800-385-4357
fcccservice@daimler.com

-----Original Message-----
From: fccc247direct@xymmetrix.com <fccc247direct@xymmetrix.com>
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2021 2:22 PM
To: dw_164_FCCC-Service-Forward <dw_164_fccc-service-forward@daimler.com>
Subject: FCCC 24/7 Direct Request

A new request has been received from the FCCC 24/7 Direct mobile app.

Name: Jan Rupinski

Email: jrupinski@comcast.net

VIN: JG9643

Request:
Dash air slowly loses cooling capability. Service shop filled and tested refrigerant all checked out okay. Friend has same unit and mentioned a sensor replaced that corrected his issue. Any help appreciated. Thank you

If you are not the addressee, please inform us immediately that you have received this e-mail by mistake, and delete it. We thank you for your support.
jrupinsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:48 AM   #28

Take this recall seriously. We also had a low air pressure alarm go off once. I suspect the PDM has issues related to the compressor relay power as well.

Tags
freightliner, recall