Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2020, 04:21 PM   #43

Freightliner is more maneuverable, shorter turning radius but Spartan is much easier to service because of the side radiator, everything is much easier to get to and service. If you do your own service and don't like crawling under the MH go with the Spartan.
jjnickeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2020, 05:03 PM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnickeson View Post
Freightliner is more maneuverable, shorter turning radius but Spartan is much easier to service because of the side radiator, everything is much easier to get to and service. If you do your own service and don't like crawling under the MH go with the Spartan.
No side radiator on the spartan chassis for ventana.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:19 PM   #45

Newmar does not offer the Spartan Chassis on the Ventana 3709.
jgperegrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:45 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
It’s new on the 2021 this year
Nascarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:45 PM   #47

My freightliner has a side radiator(New Aire).
Old 04-26-2020, 05:57 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
My freightliner has a side radiator(New Aire).
Ya, both of my Dutch star on freightliners have had a side radiator.

Ventana and below do not have side radiator.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:31 PM   #49

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Spartan

My coach came with a Spartan chassis and three year warranty and I drove to their Charlotte, MI factory each year for service and any needed repairs. Here are my experiences:

1. They paid close attention to my list of items that needed attention and were ready for me when I arrived.
2. Their techs went through my coach very thoroughly each year and found things that I didn't know were problems. I was able to use the same tech each visit.
3. One of my tag shocks was leaking so they replaced both.
4. The found a little bit of wheel hub oil on one of my disk brake pads and replaced the pads. When the caliper would not adjust properly they replaced it as well. They also upgraded all of my wheel hub seals. This was on my final, end of warranty visit.
5. When I have needed support they always answered my emails within one day and usually on the same day and each time with the information I needed or solutions to my questions.
6. Their customer lounge isn't large but it is comfortable and I have met some very interesting fellow RVers there.
7. While on the road my coolant surge tank needed to be replaced. I sent Spartan a picture and they called to find out where I was and where my next stop would be (Cleveland). They had an authorized shop 14 miles from my destination and shipped the tank overnight. I arranged a date and time and they were ready and waiting to change it out.
8. My engine is strong and I have had no issues. My chassis is well built and I have had no other issues.
9. Spartan school books up fast. There were no openings when I tried to enroll so they added me to the next year's list and contacted me when the schedule opened up and before they started taking reservations so I could get the date I wanted. Spartan school is expensive and thorough and is worth every penny. Ask anyone who has attended and chances are they will say the same thing.
10. If I decide to upgrade my next RV will be built on a Spartan chassis.

I could add a few more things but I'm sure you get the idea.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:25 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnickeson View Post
I think you meant the Spartan has the side service center on the door side, not a side radiator.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:12 PM   #51

Spartan

We spent a week at the factory in Charlotte. I highly recommend that anyone go to their school. We learned so much about the Spartan Chassis and we highly recommend them.

I have to say that after spending a week at the Spartan factory... there was one thing I noticed that impressed me most of all. I starting asking employees everywhere we went why they all were so happy. From line workers to the people working on our American Eagle to office employees... everyone was smiling. They loved Spartan as they felt part of the Spartan family. Happy employees do better work and are proud of what they do. G

The ride is impeccable. I say go with Spartan and make sure to go to their school. It was worth every penny we paid for it.

Debbi Carroll
2003 American Eagle
2012 Jeep Wrangler
DSCarroll1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:17 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
You posted "when you get home" and I see that your address is Palm Desert - don't know where you're coming home from, but if you are anywhere near Southern Oregon, I can HIGHLY recommend Henderson's Alignment shop in Grants Pass, OR. My '08 Newmar Dsl Kountry Star was horrible to drive, constant wandering and spongy - had it at two alignment shops, no substantive change and after the recommendation from Charlie at Spartan (since retired) went to Hendersons.. After a four wheel (both front and rear axle) alignment and installing the Koni's - it rode like a brand new coach! Good luck with yours!
Bob
Bob and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 01:46 AM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
I also had the fan bracket break on my2015 Londonaire, taking out the radiator and other parts to the tune of $16000 in parts and labor. The regular Freightliner shop (not an Oasis dealer) we were towed to did not communicate with FCCC about the repairs. As the rig was 6 mo out of warranty, I had to foot the bill. I met Joe Taylor of FCCC at the Freightliner rally in Coos Bay last fall and explained the situation to him Fully expecting the “ sorry, it’s out of warranty so we can’t do anything about it” response. He asked me to send him the repair bill. I heard back from him within a week as well as Todd at the FCCC plant with the news that they would reimburse me for all but about $1500 of the amount. Todd explained that had we contacted FCCC right away, the entire bill would have been covered.
Kudos to Freightliner for stepping up to the plate and doing the right thing.
Grif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:17 AM   #54

I have read many posts on FL vs SP chassis. My question is %, (and I
am guessing) are there more FL on the road?. I hear about the same amount
of complaints on either chassis ....so would that mean based on volume would
FL be more reliable?
roryrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:27 AM   #55
Rd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grif View Post
Kudos to Freightliner for stepping up to the plate and doing the right thing.

just as an fyi, there was a recall for the fan housing frame issued on feb 2020, (SF593AB). That recall "may" have been pericipated by Roblin v. Newmar Corporation, among the many complaints were the catastrophic failure of the cooling/fan system. ironically, that was a 2016 LADP. Perhaps "some" kudos should go to Roblin.
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 01:41 PM   #56

The FL fan drive brackets have been a issue since FL started building MA,LA and Essex. So this has happened to more then a hundred coaches as Grif just posted since 2014 and still a issue today. This one major issue is why Newmar for the 2021 year will only be using Spartan chassis for their high line. I am sure glad when with order our 18 London Aire we choice Spartan for our chassis just as we did with the Essex and LA before that. Wouldn't want to travel or sell these FL chassis till there is a better fix then what FL is doing now.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner, spartan