Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2016, 11:26 AM   #1

Fresh water controls question

2013 DS4018. Undertook to sanitize the tank. Monitor indicated tank 2/3 full. Drained both hot and cold overnight. Next morning filled tank with chlorine mixture (1 1/4 cups for 100 gallons). Began to fill tank and in 7 minutes water began to gush from overflow on passenger side of coach. Monitor panel indicated full. With the slightly helpful owners manual in hand I reviewed the process. Clearly the tanks never fully drained (understatement) and I don't know why. Would someone please attach a picture or drawing of the water system control panel, explaining what I have to do to fully drain and then refill with fresh water.
Newbie..............
RBTALLMAN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2016, 11:39 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi RBTALLMAN1,
The easiest thing to do is tilt the coach in the direction that would allow it to drain completely. For me this means raising the rear and passenger side. To open the fresh water tank drain look toward the bottom of the bay and toward the front of the coach. Way in the back (toward the center of the coach) is the drain. With the coach level open the drain and let it drain until empty. If like mine I then raise the rear and the passenger side just a bit and the rest of the tank will drain.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:01 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fresh water controls question

RV, it sounds to me like the only things you opened were the low point drains. This will drain down the piping system in the coach, but will not drain the fresh tank itself. See the pic below---->

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1467654861.742416.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  89.0 KB

You'll see the two knobs, hot and cold, labeled Low Point Drains. But now look below, way in the back lower left near the floor, a cutout also labeled Low Point Drain. If I stick my hand in there and feel around I will find a valve. THAT valve is the fresh tank drain.

Confusing, I know, but that's the way my DS is. Your unit may be similar. Good Luck!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:45 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Agree with the post by JFXG, sounds like you only drained the coach water lines not the tank.

My coach like his has 2 low point drains marked hot and cold. These are small diameter lines 1/2" diameter If i remember right.

To drain my FW tank I have a valve just forward of the low point drains. This valve is 2" diameter.

Sounds like you need to be looking for another valve on your coach. Hopefully someone with your coach will jump in here to tell you the location of that valve.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
RV, it sounds to me like the only things you opened were the low point drains. This will drain down the piping system in the coach, but will not drain the fresh tank itself. See the pic below---->

Attachment 132026

You'll see the two knobs, hot and cold, labeled Low Point Drains. But now look below, way in the back lower left near the floor, a cutout also labeled Low Point Drain. If I stick my hand in there and feel around I will find a valve. THAT valve is the fresh tank drain.

Confusing, I know, but that's the way my DS is. Your unit may be similar. Good Luck!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
That's where the fresh water tank drain is on the Ventana also.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:59 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with JXFG. I don't know why they have to "hide" he drain valve. It took me forever to find it. A little plastic label with an arrow would have been nice.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:25 AM   #7

Most helpful

Many thanks. I just didn't do enough "sleuthing"!!
RBTALLMAN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:40 AM   #8

Good luck. I did the same thing first time I tried to drain tank. If you are level and not tilted toward drain it will take an hour to drain if full. Good idea to open prior to going to sleep.
Trapper2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:18 AM   #9

Fresh water tank cleaning

I want to clean/sanitize my fresh water tank, but I have some questions before I start. Once the tank is filled with the right bleach solution, is it OK to run that solution through all the water lines or just let it sanitize the tank? My concern about running it through the water lines is not knowing what it will do to the whole house water filter, the filter in the refrigerator (residential style) and the ice maker in the frig. How will the bleach solution get flushed out of the ice maker (how many cycles would it have to go through)? Should the whole house or refrigerator filters be removed?

We are full-timers and always have water in the lines (either from the tank or city water), so we don't have the stagnant water in the lines issues (just the fresh water tank sits idle if we use city water for several weeks). Do we need to sanitize the lines, or just clean the fresh water tank?

Thanks in advance for your help.
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:46 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
You really should also sanitize the lines. Doing so does require removing all the filters.
Once filters are removed. Run all the faucets then let sit for 4-6 hours or more.
Then drain, refill with clean water run all the faucets again. Then repeat until water from faucets no longer has any cholorine odor.

I would not run this solution through the ice maker or ice maker filter. Best to turn that line off.
Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:14 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Should be a valve that will allow you to isolate the refer/ice maker. Either bypass or remove the whole house filter. Whole house filter cartridges should be replace periodically, I replace mine every 3 months.

You also want to bypass the water heater.

As stated in the previous post run all faucets using your onboard pump, until you smell the bleach then turn off, don't for get the shower. Make sure you shut off city water or you will not pull the solution from the tank into the lines.

You will need to flush 2 or 3 times to remove the remain bleach from the system.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:04 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You should also sanitize the hot water heater, so tank is flushed out, it will eliminate the rotten egg smell you may get in the hot weather from your hot water faucet.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:54 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Follow up on washing out freshwater tank

I've had my 2015DSDP now for 8 months and never flushed fresh water tank
I am headed out on a 5 week trip on Aug 1st and sounds like flushing fresh tank would be a good idea.
I know how to dump tank but my question is what solution should I use and how long should I leave it in the tank and obviously run it thru the water lines.
Thanks
Old 07-05-2016, 06:14 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golferdave78 View Post
I've had my 2015DSDP now for 8 months and never flushed fresh water tank
I am headed out on a 5 week trip on Aug 1st and sounds like flushing fresh tank would be a good idea.
I know how to dump tank but my question is what solution should I use and how long should I leave it in the tank and obviously run it thru the water lines.
Thanks
Use the gravity fill to perform this task. Remove cap from the gravity fill. Add the solution. When finished, secure the gravity fill cap. If you don't have gravity fill use the winterizing pick up tube to introduce the solution to your system.
1) Remove the water line connections and connect the bypass hose to the water lines on water filter. If you don't have a bypass just remove the filter and replace the housing.
2) Prepare a household chlorine bleach solution of 1 gallon water and 1⁄4 cup of chlorine bleach (see not at bottom concerning bleach strength). Use 1 gallon of solution for every 15 gallons of tank capacity. E.g.: Add 2-2/3 gallons solution to a 40 gallon tank. This mixture puts a 50 ppm (parts per million) residual in the water system, and acts as a quick-kill dosage for harmful bacteria, viruses and slime- forming organisms. Concentrations higher than 50 ppm may damage the water lines and/or tanks.
3) Turn the water pump OFF.
4) Close the water heater bypass valve. The bypass valve is located behind the water heater. This ensures that none of the prepared disinfecting solution enters the water heater. Refer to the water heater OEM instructions on ushing the water heater.
5) Drain the fresh water tank. Water tank drain is located in the roadside water service center. Close the drain and pour the solution into the fresh water tank using the gravity ll and a funnel.
6) Turn the water pump ON. Open each faucet, in turn, and run the water until you smell a distinct chlorine bleach odor. Do not forget the hot water, tub and shower faucets. Allow the system to stand for 4 hours.
7) Drain the system and ush with fresh water. The water tank and low point drains are located in the roadside water service center. Flush with fresh water repeatedly until the water system no longer smells or tastes like chlorine bleach.
8) Install new water filter.
9) Remove bypass hose and store. Reconnect water lines to water filter.

TIP
Use the same hose labeled for potable water to introduce the chlorine solution into the system. This will disinfect the potable water hose at the same time. Several flushes are required to remove chlorine residue from the potable hose.

INFORMATION
Household bleach is 5.25% Sodium Hypochlorite. Higher concentration will increase PPM ratio. If using 8.25% Sodium Hypochlorite (typical to laundry bleach) reduce from 1/4 cup per gallon of solution to 2.5 tablespoons per gallon of solution.

As noted earlier by 007 you can skip bypassing the water heater and sanitize it as well.

Tags
fresh water, water