RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2013, 06:27 AM   #1

Fresh water overflow question

Okay, finally managed to get our new to us 1994 Kountry Star home after buying it in January. Going to go out camping for the first time in the next couple weeks. Yay! Just at this point trying to work out all the little heres and theres, making sure everything works and that I know HOW everything works on it. Probably be seeing a lot of questions from me in the next little while

First one, I'm a little confused in regards to the fresh water tank. I can see the tank from both sides with the storage bay doors up. On each side, on top of the tank, there are 2 hoses coming out of the top of the tank. One is a green and white hose, approx 2" in diameter. It goes down through the storage bay floor and drains to the ground. On the passenger side, where the water fill is, this is also the fill line and there is a valve to close this. No such valve on the passenger side. In addition, there is a clear 1/2" plastic tube also coming out of the top on each side, but these don't really go anywhere, they would just drain into the storage bay. This means there is a total of 4 overflow lines? Doesn't that seem excessive? And why does the overflow drain into the storage bay? Even if I'm careful in filling it at home, I'm sure the sloshing, hills, etc would cause the water to flow out of these hoses at some point.

Does anyone else's have this and have an explanation for it?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02589.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	38359  

omegacanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #2

A guess from me. Could the 2 clear 1/2 inch lines that go nowhere be to allow air into the tank as you use the water?

Ma Snart

Ma Snart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #3

If those large hoses have no valve to close them off, you would lose a fair bit of the water while travelling. If they had a valve, you would then need the clear hoses but they should not drain into the luggage bay.
Perhaps they originally extended down through the floor as well.

All in all, looks an unusual setup.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #4

The only reason for the 1 3/8" big fill hose is, well, to fill. I've only seen them for that, and the 1/2" clear vinyl hoses for venting. I wonder if someone moved the fill hose location?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The over flow hoses on both tanks are to release the air pressure from rupturing the tanks when filling up the tanks.
The small drain lines off the bottom of both tanks are to drain out the water when coach not in use.
If water is not drain in hot summer months water may smell and you will need to sanitize the water system before use.
The red handle valve shut off is that in the white green water over flow line?
That's something I have never seen in any Newmar I have owned and unnecessary as far as I can see.
The white green lines should have a duck bill rubber piece on end of hose under the coach.
What is the large blue pump for is that your water pump, previous owner may have made some modifications.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #6

Thanks everyone.

The small lines on the bottom are for the draining of tanks, no problem there. Fully understand those.

The red handle (which is only on the passenger side, not the driver side) is indeed on the green/white hose which is the filler line on the driver side. The green/white line on the passenger side appears to be a vent only, as it goes right from the top out, and through the storage bay to the ground. You are correct, as there is a duck bill type end on it.
The pump visible in the picture is the air pump for the airride on the rear. Water pump is actually on the other side.

I might wait a day or two, and if noone can really say they've seen this before, I may try to remove the clear lines, plug them, and then fill it (even overfill it) to see what happens.
omegacanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just answered a question for someone else with a 94 coach and the fill line on passenger side may have the shut off for closing the water fill so no one can dump something other than water.
The red handled valve is new to me on Newmar coach of that period may still have been added by previous owner.
Newmars now have a divert valve at city water connection to fill fresh water tanks than you turn valve to city water connection for normal use with city water pressure or water pump from fresh water tank.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water